cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a truck

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 F-350 v10 towing our 12000 lbs camper, it an extended cab, we want another truck should I get a gas, diesel, long box, short box, help.
25 REPLIES 25

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to upgrade our TV we went ahead and got the F350 dually, which is what I was wanting and is rated at around 22500 lbs towing. My wife was thinking we didn't need a dually but she finally talked to some guys at work who let her know it was a good idea. Yeah, thanks for listening to me dear...

We are now set up with our ultimate 41' fiver and the last truck I'm thinking I'll ever need.

We'll see.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need diesel for a 12k lb fifth wheel but you'd like it, especially if you plan on towing out west. You also don't need DRW for that size fifth wheel, so unless you're planning on going dramatically bigger in the future I'd stick to your preferred variety of SRW - easier to park, better daily driver, better off-road or on tight forest service roads, better in snow/ice, and they look nicer (that last one is subjective and not terribly important).

I have a short bed and like it better overall since most of the time I'm not towing and the I prefer the packaging and look of the short bed, but I admit on some trips it would be handy to have that extra bed space.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the 12000# is dry weight, you are closer to 14000# loaded. I'd go for a 1 ton diesel dually. One trip to the mountains and you will believe a diesel is the only way to go.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I would think long and hard before buying a diesel.

Because once you've pulled with one, you won't ever want to go back to gas. You might have to, but you won't want to.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with GPG52!, he makes very good points! As stated, if you have the money to burn, and have room for a vehicle dedicated to towing, an 8 foot bed, dually diesel, is what you want! If this is a daily driver, do limited towing then you need to rethink your options! A SRW 350/3500 or a 250/2500 may be a better option. Only thing I disagree with is "diesel maintenance". The maintenance of my diesel consists of oil changes, and fuel filter changes. I do not know what else you need to do to maintain a diesel? For years that was one of the selling points of diesel, you had expensive tune ups for gas engines.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
As a friend said to me a few months ago, "What's wrong with your truck?" Why buy another truck? If yours does the job, is paid for or almost paid for, still in good shape, and not beginning to dollar you to death. Then just say no. I was looking because I wanted something newer. I have a 97 GMC 1 ton dually. Runs great, looks great, and pulls my trailer with no problem.

But if you are looking to just go newer then go for it and get what you want.

Happy Trails
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2c worth...
Much has been said about the merits of any 350/3500, diesel, dually.
If you have unlimited disposal cash then I agree.
However when considering COST/BENEFIT, you may want to give this some thought.
- Is this your primary vehicle, how much towing do you really do?
- Mountain towing, flat land towing?
- Eight foot box is ideal for 5th wheel towing, however do you have the room to at home for parking. Add a 4 door configuration and the length is event greater.
- Diesel is the better towing option, engine brake, turbo etc. But the initial purchase cost can easily be $10,000.00 +. Diesel maintenance tends to be also more expensive, not all corner garage are proficient diesel mechanics. Do you have someone you can trust (this is true for gas or diesel) to maintain your vehicle?
-Dually will offer more road stability. Do you like to hand wash your unit in all sorts of weather or do you prefer car wash luxury. Added cost of more rubber on the road. Sacrifice ease of parking, do you mind walking in from the back parking spaces?
- Some research will tell you that their is little difference between a F250 Super Duty and a low end F350???
.... Personally we tow a 38ft, 12,000 lbs 5th wheel. We opted to factory order a F250 Super Duty, CAB PLUS, s/w, 8ft, 6.2 gas, 4.30 rear, 6sp trany. We had both RV and Truck dealer talk to each other to make sure the configuration worked i.e. weight, bed height etc. We spent some $'s on the interior comforts, towing package, power towing mirrors, power rear window.
-We only tow 7 to 10,000 miles per year and could not justify the additional cost.
To each his own...
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
I would go diesel, and I have. I'm on my first long bed. If you can deal with it on a daily basis when not towing, I love the long bed. With most trailers now days, sharp turns aren't a big issue in a short bed, but I really like the extra space in the long bed for carrying other items. I carry firewood, hammocks, and bikes in the bed. Just my opinion though.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on continuing with camping, IMO I'd get another F-350 but, a diesel Dulley reason being, sooner or later you'll want/need a bigger 5th wheel and already having the truck to handle it will help out.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
In our humble opinion, the F-350 is a workhorse, I would go with that again. Depending on what you may do in the future, We would stick with the diesel, and go with the Long bed, to assure you have enough clearance for turns, and backing in campsites for your 5'er. Good Luck and keep on campin !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you already have a good truck...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear