cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need great idea for washing my Cougar roof

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Alfa RV for many years until it pretty much fell apart, then got a cheap Cougar fifth wheel. The Alfa had a flat roof that made it easy to clean. The Cougar curves down in the front. I live in an RV park and I do not pull the Cougar to anywhere.

I am 73 now and don't mind getting up on the roof, but I wish there is some idea on how I can establish something to hang on to up there or at least have available to grap if I need to keep my balance. Why they don't put something up there for this purpose is beyond me.

Any ideas. I thought about running a rope around the girth and attach it up top to something that is high enough off the roof to grap it (two feet?)

If you have a fabulous idea, let me know!

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to service or wash the front, lower your front stabilizers to make the coach "kneel". It brings the front of the cap lower to where you can reach it while standing on the ladder.

Kept trying to think about how I was going to wash and wax the top front of the cap. (Dang, it's way too high and my arms are too short) then I realized I could lower the front. Viola, it's well within arms reach now. :S

SH
Explorer
Explorer
CarolineGates wrote:
Yes, I had mentioned that there is silicone along the trac where the rubber roof comes over to the gutter. It was put there originally by Cougar manufacturers. I have been caulking RV's for some years and always use Dicor along the rubber roof. I have to remove the silicone and replace it with Dicor.

Getting other sealants to stick where silicone was previously applied can be challenging. I found a product from McKanicathat helps with that process. It is a gel so it stays inplace a bit better than some of the other products. Says its safe for fiberglass gel coat etc.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
spadoctor wrote:
DO NOT WASH IT...all you do is shorten the membrane life by removing material. The material was not meant to be washed. Also no silicone caulk use Dicor
I agree 100%. Waste of time and effort and possibly harmful to the roof to wash it...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

retirediaffcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Little Giant ladder which is rated as a 1A ladder with at least a 350 lb capacity. It is a very sturdy ladder with a few sizes to choose from. The benefit is that they collapse for easy storage. I do know when the patent ran out on this ladder, Werner started making the same ladder but I don't think they are as sturdy. They do the job however. The Little Giant ladders have been used in the fire service for at least 20 years now due to their reliability, safety and integrity. They are more expensive than Werner but the Werner might suffice. I suggest you try both at a home show. Either way, get the step accessory that is sold with the Little Giant. This greatly enhances the standing platform area. The ladder I have is heavier than the Werner but collapses down to a 6 ft step ladder or expands to 22' strait ladder. This was the smallest one they had at the time I purchased it about 15 years ago.

retirediaffcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Little Giant ladder which is rated as a 1A ladder with at least a 350 lb capacity. It is a very sturdy ladder with a few sizes to choose from. The benefit is that they collapse for easy storage. I do know when the patent ran out on this ladder, Werner started making the same ladder but I don't think they are as sturdy. They do the job however. The Little Giant ladders have been used in the fire service for at least 20 years now due to their reliability, safety and integrity. They are more expensive than Werner but the Werner might suffice. I suggest you try both at a home show. Either way, get the step accessory that is sold with the Little Giant. This greatly enhances the standing platform area. The ladder I have is heavier than the Werner but collapses down to a 6 ft step ladder or expands to 22' strait ladder. This was the smallest one they had at the time I purchased it about 15 years ago.

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I had mentioned that there is silicone along the trac where the rubber roof comes over to the gutter. It was put there originally by Cougar manufacturers. I have been caulking RV's for some years and always use Dicor along the rubber roof. I have to remove the silicone and replace it with Dicor.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT WASH IT...all you do is shorten the membrane life by removing material. The material was not meant to be washed. Also no silicone caulk use Dicor

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if your area has Blue Beacon Truck Wash's but at around $55 for TV and camper your good to go.

looked it up- Portland area I 5, exit 307
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Find a teenager... ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I never wash mine cus al that dirt, sap, bird doo doo etc up there helps protect the roof and increase its longevity. :C

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You know it doesn't do anything to extend the life of the roof to clean it. In fact your better off not cleaning it as that removes some of the protective white material.
So there, that's my excuse for not washing mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

+1

Not worth the effort and risk, this is a case of less is more. Every time you brush and clean your roof your removing more of the protective white coating.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You know it doesn't do anything to extend the life of the roof to clean it. In fact your better off not cleaning it as that removes some of the protective white material.
So there, that's my excuse for not washing mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chances are you really don't need to get up there to wash it anyway. Take a 2 gallon yard sprayer and mix up a batch of a 2 cups of bleach, some dish washing liquid, and fill with water. Use one or more of your ladders and get high enough to spray the solution all over the roof, vents, ac cover, et al. Let it stand for 10 minutes so the bleach can do it's thing. Rinse and rinse and rinse with a fairly strong stream. Check for spots that may need a second application.

Same mixture works on awning as well. It would be best to wear old yard clothes as bleach will do a number on clothes.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses! Promise to not get up there! I do have five ladders, accumulated over the years, all are Werner and they are 6, 8, 10, and 12 feet, which is big and sturdy. I have used all of them and feel safe on them. Used the 10-ft to remove the decals on the front, it is really high there. I went to a truck stop years ago and bought a long-handled telescoping brush with a couple of different attachments. It cost a few bucks but works great. So I can use that. A friend said he would go up when dry and check out the air conditioner to be sure there are no leaks in the rubber roofing and look other places I can't see. But he won't wash it! Now I have permission from all of you to not wash it. I will just say "the guys said leave it alone!"