cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neverlube bearing replacements

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I may replace my ten year old neverlube bearings just for peace of mind. I was wondering if an auto parts store might carry the equivalent bearing or if anyone would have a replacement of higher quality. My trailer has 7000 lbs. axles with 8000 lbs. brake assemblies. Does anyone have any experience with these Dexter bearings? I know I can get them through Dexter, but I'd like to get the highest quality I can get. The labor and time are worth more than the bearings, so I'd like to get good ones. I want to stay with sealed bearings.
17 REPLIES 17

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
It does seem that the most financially reasonable way to go would be to buy one spare pressed into a spare hub. If I have that with me then I won't get stranded for long as the chance of two going out at the same time are pretty slim. So maybe that's what I'll do.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be the boater that still lives within me but I like to have spares that I carry with me.

I have ordered 2 hubs with bearings mounted plus 4 brake plates ready to go. Time does not really allow finding out what is needed, ordering then doing the job.

If everything is not needed, then fine. I can change a drum with bearing mounted roadside if push comes to shove. I can't change a bearing. Mine are 7 years old with something like 80,000 miles on them. Well within estimated lifespan of the bearings. Last checked there were no signs of coming failure.

With the parts I can always have whatever is needed for future service like I did with the boat. I always had a rebuilt raw water pump onboard ready to be installed. Always carried spare fuel filters.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has the Lippert version and one went at 5 years. $140 at a bearing store. I think I'd try to find a pt# on the old one before punching it out and try bearing stores - Motion Industries, Kaman or napa if you want an idea of the price and check availability. Sometime you can see the number on the race. I've pried the seal/shield off of a bunch of sealed brgs and cleaned and regreased them. I've also used a grease needle on them. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
If your worried just buy the bearing cartridge press the old out and new in. Also low chance any auto parts store is going to stock them. That being said if you have the tag number off the axle you can call dexter and they will give you the part number for the bearing cartridge. Also if a 7k axel there are several different cartridges a 40mm and a 2 50mm one a 9/16 wheel stud and a 5/8 wheel stud. There is a process for checking the bearing end play with a dial indicator with rims off measure free play at hub. On a 50mm bearing I believe if within .008 you are good to go.

Reread your op you more than likely have 7k axels with 8k hubs this is something that was kinda specific to WRV On the Alpenlite 5vers.
I dont rent out space in my brain

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
You're absolutely correct about the mileage issue comparing cars to travel trailers, but I would still think that there is a relation between all the suspension components and the bearings, that relation being potentially that all components are not to automotive quality. Definitely everything besides the bearings seem like pre-depression technology but without the care I think people at one time might have taken in their work. After fighting ( usually in the middle of a trip) with EVERY component on these axles except the bearings, it's just hard to trust them. And even though this trailer probably has only between 60 and 75 thousand miles, miles are not the only determiner of potential breakdown. Age certainly takes its toll alone, and though I can't really explain it, sometimes it seems like just sitting for long periods has its own unique impact. An, of course, most automotive bearings aren't loaded to one fourth of 13 to14 thousand pounds on a 16000 GVWR vehicle (though large trucks are, which is why I was hoping these bearings would cross with some commercial truck bearings). I don't think I can say with any degree of confidence that my bearings are soon going to leave me stranded, but I can't say the opposite with any confidence either. I think being prudent might be different than seeking warm fuzzies though you may be right. I may just be chicken.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
howardwheeler wrote:
I don't know if the analogy to changing car wheel bearings really holds for two reasons. First, no car I've ever had in the last forty years had as crude a suspension as my trailer's, which has broken springs, had all bushings wear out and has had brake shoe problems that seem inexplicable. But beyond what appears to me to be quality below the standards of a car, second, I ride in the car and therefore have heard those few time I've had a car long enough for a bearing to go out. You first can hear the low frequency rumble well before total failure and the grinding that accompanies it. I can't hear what's going on on my trailer axles. So I just can't muster the same level of confidence for my Dexter axles before going on a long trip that I can my car I drive almost daily and therefore remain very familiar with its maintenance needs.

In response to your two reasons:

1. Your trailers suspension, bushings, and brake shoes have very little if any relation to bearing life.

2. Does your trailer have the same mileage as any one of your daily driver cars or trucks over the past 40 years? I bet the house your answer is no.

The "neverlube" bearings are used as a high end, maintenance free version of tapered bearings, no matter what grease system goes along for the ride with the tapered bearings.

Meaning, the extra price paid upfront, allows very high mileage before replacement is needed...just like your car/truck.

So, how many miles has your average car/truck been driven before ALL....ALL wheel bearings need replacement??? How does that average compare to the miles on your trailer?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
Most any auto parts store would have them but a place that sells trailers might have some with a little more quality.

I just searched around here for the 50mm bearings and no auto parts store had them. Found them online from a trailer parts supplier.As someone already mentioned, pricing varies for the same bearing so search well.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if the analogy to changing car wheel bearings really holds for two reasons. First, no car I've ever had in the last forty years had as crude a suspension as my trailer's, which has broken springs, had all bushings wear out and has had brake shoe problems that seem inexplicable. But beyond what appears to me to be quality below the standards of a car, second, I ride in the car and therefore have heard those few time I've had a car long enough for a bearing to go out. You first can hear the low frequency rumble well before total failure and the grinding that accompanies it. I can't hear what's going on on my trailer axles. So I just can't muster the same level of confidence for my Dexter axles before going on a long trip that I can my car I drive almost daily and therefore remain very familiar with its maintenance needs.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to replace axles if you intend going to EZ Lubes.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 9yr old 5er with Never-Lubes and am considering replacing them. If I buy new drums with bearings pressed in they are $380 per where new drums with EZ Lube bearings are $80 each. $1200 additional seems pretty steep not to regrease every couple of years.

Can I just change to EZ Lubes? Will they fit the axle fine or do I need to do something special?

Add in Nev-R-Adjust brake assemblies and I can redo everything for ~$600.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
howardwheeler wrote:
I may replace my ten year old neverlube bearings just for peace of mind. I was wondering if an auto parts store might carry the equivalent bearing or if anyone would have a replacement of higher quality. My trailer has 7000 lbs. axles with 8000 lbs. brake assemblies. Does anyone have any experience with these Dexter bearings? I know I can get them through Dexter, but I'd like to get the highest quality I can get. The labor and time are worth more than the bearings, so I'd like to get good ones. I want to stay with sealed bearings.

Do you replace the wheel bearings in your cars and trucks for a warm fuzzy feeling also? Those "neverlubes" are pretty much one and the same as automotive wheel bearings.

Just check them for play or anything short of a smooth rotation.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howardwheeler, I PM'd you. For everyone else big savings can be had if you shop around.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I have true Dexter NevRlube bearings. I suspect they might require pressing in but have a friend who can do it.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be careful, If you have the true Dexter Never-r-Lube bearings they are not the same as standard RV bearings and doubt you would get them at the normal outlets. Plus I understand they may require a press for removal and replacement.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint