Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fifth Wheel Purchase

Precise_One
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
New to this forum and looking for advise on new trailer purchase.
We have narrowed our search to the Wildcat 312 QBX. We are Canadian's and are planning to purchase in the US and have shipped to Canadian border.
Wondering if anyone has experienced the new automotive paint option offered by Forest River? It is a $3200 option and wondering if people with full body paint are happy with their choice? I realize this is a middle of the road unit and am concerned Forest River may not offer a quality paint product.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Precise_One
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. Seems like it could be a gamble either way we go. I agree keeping it inside would most likely protect the finish no matter what. Unfortunately it is not an option for us. As for the warranty as a Canadian purchasing in the US, there certainly is questions as to who would cover any issues. The American dealers claim to have a "warranty network" set up across Canada, however, you can bet we won't be the first on their list for repairs! It comes down to the difference in the initial cost. Can be as much as $20'000 savings. We only use our trailer maybe four weeks a season and will only have a one year warranty anyway. The other problem is there seems to be no dealers in western Canada stocking the layout we are after. Regardless of where we buy, it will be a factory order. I don't think the difference in price is worth purchasing locally just to have one year warranty.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd check on the painting too. I would not expect a top quality marine grade product like Awlgrip but I would check to see if they put a couple coats of clearcoat over the paint.

The gelcoat on mine is in great shape after 7 years, helped by an annual waxing with the best marine wax around & 7 months of indoor storage per year but my graphics look like crapp. The builder used cheap material instead of marine grade.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

GregK
Explorer
Explorer
Check into warranty coverage before jumping into it. Many Canadian dealers will not touch an imported trailer.
2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
For 3200 dollars I would jump on that deal. Replacing the crappy decals can cost you close to two thousand dollars when they totally fail. And that seems to be happening fairly frequently over the last few years.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about the Wildcat, but Full Body Paint on many of the larger/higher end units is closer to a $10K option.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Moved from Forum Technical Support