cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new member in search of advice

merlin00724
Explorer
Explorer
hello everyone, new member here posting for the first time. I am getting ready to purchase my first toy hauler and I was hoping for some feedback from the community on my choices. so here is what I have going on:

I am getting a camper for trap shooting. at the big events, many people stay at the venue in campers. the toy hauler part will be used for a golf cart weighing 900lbs. my tow vehicle is a '17 F250. the two trailers that are on the short list right now are the '16 keystone impact vapor lite 29v and the '16 kz mxt 3190. i have recently caught wind of the kz 315th fifth wheel which, i believe, my truck can handle as well. although i have never seen this model in person.

what i am looking for is opinions on these choices. do you any of you have experience with these exact models? build quality, likes/dislikes. opinions on the company(ies) that makes them. opinions on the fifth wheel over the TT. on paper my truck can handle this fifth wheel, but maybe some of you know better. anything you can add will be appreciated. opinions on other models that may have significant advantages over these? best time to buy?

some final information that some of you may want. the trailer will be used 6-12 times a year during summer and early fall. southern ohio highways, so no mountains. typical travel distance of 2.5 hours one way. typically just me and the dog, so no large payload problems.

let me know what you think. thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

merlin00724
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input guys

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the 5th wheel. I went through the same thing this fall and we are so much happier with the 5th wheel. What these guys are saying is no joke. There is a night a day difference in towing. My tow hauler is 17k lbs loaded and my 20' v-nose enclosed trailer is 6k lbs loaded. I find the 5th nicer to tow then the enclosed.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If a bumper pull trailer is set up right it will be just fine.

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
major difference between the two in crosswinds is with a tag you end up countersteering "with the wind" with a fifth wheel "against the wind" proof that the tag trailer is "wagging the dog". With my old tag going under overpasses was quite a white knuckler as was being passed by big box trucks, hardly notice either with the fiver.

I was always really happy with my setup with our old tag trailer...until...

Until we got our fiver. Now I'm a fiver snob. It tracks right behind the truck, no problemo.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
major difference between the two in crosswinds is with a tag you end up countersteering "with the wind" with a fifth wheel "against the wind" proof that the tag trailer is "wagging the dog". With my old tag going under overpasses was quite a white knuckler as was being passed by big box trucks, hardly notice either with the fiver.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't pulled a 5th wheel, so can't address differences. My truck is an SRW Dodge 3500 4x4. I did add the Air Ride to assist. I am a bit of a packrat, so I keep a canopy on the truck, and keep stuff in there. I have pulled the TH across the Narrows Bridge, SR16 west of Tacoma, WA. Notorious for sidewinds. No problem either way, can feel it pushing, but tracks easily and well. Pics of outfit are on forum somewhere.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheel vs Bumper tow: Think of what your bumper pull trailer will be doing in a strong cross-wind. Will it be stable or will the tail be wagging the dog? I've towed fifth wheels with the single rear axle truck and with a dually and both are very stable in strong winds. I would not want to deal with a bumper pull in windy conditions.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
don't know the floor plans but having a fixed bed that you can walk around is big and once you tow a fifth wheel you won't go back to a tag, IMHO. Build quality is important, both mfr's you mention are high volume so don't expect perfection. Also dealer is important for warranty unless you're very handy.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the 5th wheel will pull and handle better but do you really need that much, well that's up to you. I would find a dealer/dealers that have the rvs your looking at and spend the time to go look at before you purchase. Advantage of TT is that your truck bed would be free and available to use than with a 5th wheel that you'll have the hitch taking up 1/2 your truck bed. Then if its a short bed truck you would need to verify you truck would turn ok without hitting the 5ver without a sliding hitch, most do these days but its good to verify that. I also prefer the stationary bed of the KZ models your looking at plus the 2 yr warranty if you purchase new.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP