cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to 5th wheels

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired guy camping most of my life & the last 11 years in a Jayco 10X pup. Love it spending my Summers & into the Fall.
I have decided that the big city (Bay Area) is less & less desirable for this Ole Fart (71) so am planning on moving up to Lewiston, Ca where I have spent my Summers in my Pup.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 5th wheel (used) to live in April through mid December spending the balance of the year at my place in Mexico.
I would like to keep cost under $10,000. Something 24' to 30' in decent condition. A must is a bed with open sides to make for easier making.
What should I look for as for as condition, equipment, etc? How does one determine roof condition etc?
I have a list of possibilities & I plan to start looking next week.
Any & all suggestions welcome.
Thank You!
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
newk wrote:
Serenlyretired wrote:
I'm a retired guy ... Ole Fart (71) ... A must is a bed with open sides to make for easier making....

As one ole fart who fights with making beds to another, I'd also look for a comfortable height ceiling in the bedroom, and that becomes more rare as the campers get shorter. Our first 5er was something like 24 feet. It had a very low bedroom ceiling (low profile). The next one was 30 feet and had room for my wife to stand up straight (5'7"). Our current one is a 26 footer, and we just don't have quite enough head room again. It's what they call a "mid-profile". In my opinion, it's not the best for old people with cricks in their backs. The next one will be a high profile, and it'll have a slide out in the bedroom for a little more elbow room.

I've yet to see one that's as easy to make as the one in our stick-built house, but some are much easier than others. I suggest you go through the motions of bed-making in any you consider. Those that won't let you stand up straight are not easy. I have to be on my knees, then reeeeeeeaaaach to get the lower sheet in place at the head of the bed.

Not only is it harder to make the bed, as we age, many of us get a lot more "conservative" and a lower ceiling may make you feel claustrophobic. My DW now sleeps on the couch when we take our low-profile FW out as the ceiling only 3' over our heads just makes her uncomfortable enough that she can't sleep. If some family business pans out over the next couple years, I'll be buying another FW with full-height bedroom.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Newk

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Serenlyretired wrote:
I'm a retired guy ... Ole Fart (71) ... A must is a bed with open sides to make for easier making....

As one ole fart who fights with making beds to another, I'd also look for a comfortable height ceiling in the bedroom, and that becomes more rare as the campers get shorter. Our first 5er was something like 24 feet. It had a very low bedroom ceiling (low profile). The next one was 30 feet and had room for my wife to stand up straight (5'7"). Our current one is a 26 footer, and we just don't have quite enough head room again. It's what they call a "mid-profile". In my opinion, it's not the best for old people with cricks in their backs. The next one will be a high profile, and it'll have a slide out in the bedroom for a little more elbow room.

I've yet to see one that's as easy to make as the one in our stick-built house, but some are much easier than others. I suggest you go through the motions of bed-making in any you consider. Those that won't let you stand up straight are not easy. I have to be on my knees, then reeeeeeeaaaach to get the lower sheet in place at the head of the bed.

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you three for great advise!

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Get on the roof and look carefully at the condition paticullary at the seams and penetration points. Look for any missing loose screws. Check condition of tires. look at electrical plug end for arcing or overheating. Turn cusions over and look at back side. Check gap around doors to be even.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
There should be lots of used 5vers near you. Check the ceiling and walls for any discoloration, that often means a water leak and they can be tough and expensive to fix. Get up on the roof and check the rubberized coating and especially around any roof penetrations: vent fans and so on. Check for any soft spots.

A couple of things we were told to check by various people: look up at the area over the basement, if it's pressboard or chipboard then I would down rate it especially for long term use.

Also one dealer told us to look at the wiring in back of the breaker box, if it's neat and organized that's a good sign. A disorganized mess: bad sign.

There are all sorts of check lists online, search for RV PDI list or predelivery list. And take a good one with you. They will have a lot of items for you to look at, we found a couple items when we did ours, one vent fan didn't work for one thing.

x2 on the above get everything running. Roll down the awning and so on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
From our experience: Any rig you look at, require that all equipment is shown to be running. IE...have them turn the fridge on a day early (to make sure it gets COLD....not just showing it runs), have a battery installed to check out the lights, etc, run the furnace, run the A/C, have it hooked up to city water AND double check if the water pump works....by turning off the city water. Also have them start the water heater a day ahead......can you get hot water?? Have propane hooked up......does everything work on the range? Including the oven!

THEN.....after checking all that, and with water having been tested, NOW look for leaks.......:)

Why do I suggest this?? Because we didn't and ended up with a major problem with a spendy used motorhome. We've also had private sellers not have batteries, propane, or water handy.......and they try to tell you "everything works"...yeah, right...PROVE IT.

Good luck!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend