cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEWBIE QUESTION! What generator(s) to get???

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
So with the purchase of our new fifth wheel we are looking at including the generators.
We have a 15k BTU AC unit so it is to my understanding that even 2 Hondas, Yamahas etc are going to be to small. This is somewhat disappointing though I know I am getting a higher volume AC unit.
What would you recommend? We are getting the generators in the deal but are the 2 Hondas in series still a solid way to go for everything else? Or is a single larger unit a good call to run the AC unit?

I like the idea of quiet running units, and ones i can carry around. But what has your experience shown you all?
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'
25 REPLIES 25

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
rugersdad wrote:
Thanks for the explanation on the EPA rating. Since the Honda has a plastic camshaft as well as a non cast iron sleeve and the Yamaha has a cast iron sleeve as well as a metal camshaft I was thinking the Yamaha would last longer.They are both good generators.

Actually, all Honda generators have a cast-iron cylinder sleeve. The sole exception is the smallest model, the EU1000i, which is 100% aluminum.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

rugersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the explanation on the EPA rating. Since the Honda has a plastic camshaft as well as a non cast iron sleeve and the Yamaha has a cast iron sleeve as well as a metal camshaft I was thinking the Yamaha would last longer.They are both good generators.

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
rugersdad wrote:
FYI the Honda engine life is rated at 250 hours and the Yamaha engine is rated at 500 hours. It made my decision easy.

Actually, the "250" and "500" hour rating is not engine life, but part of a legally required statement of emissions durability. All small gas engine manufacturers must indicate how long the engine can expect to maintain emissions performance. For example, Yamaha says their engine will maintain compliant emissions/exhaust levels for up to 500 hours, while Honda says their engine will be compliant for up to 250 hours.

This is not an indicator, or warranty, of actual engine life. Neither Honda nor Yamaha have any kind of engine life warranty. All engine warranties are based on age of the unit, not hours of use.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
What about those new Generac 2000 inverter gennies I saw an add for that said they were quieter then the honda's. I dont know what the cost is on them but another one to consider.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that seemed strange. Thanks for bringing that t my attention. I was going to say at that rate you would be better off with a solar array on the roof lol
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI the Honda engine life is rated at 250 hours and the Yamaha engine is rated at 500 hours. It made my decision easy.

This is one of the most mangled and misused statistics around, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with engine life. These numbers are the EPA "Emissions Compliance Period", which represents the amount of testing the manufacturer did to convince the EPA that the emissions of the engine would be in compliance after the specified number of hours. The largest rating that is given out is 500 hours. With Honda's 250 hour rating you don't know if they couldn't achieve the higher rating, or just chose to not spend the money going for it. If either of these generators had a 500 hour engine life I think they would have been run out of the market by now.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Another model to consider is the Yamaha 2400is. Mine runs my newer 15k dometic ac. Ymmv.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
DrtEMaxChvy wrote:
The Yamaha units sound lifespan wise a great unit. I really want something quiet.

No real difference in noise between the Yamaha and Honda.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting to see the life is half of that of the Yamaha. I wonder if that is 24/7/365 runtime. I am sure if limited use they would be lasting quite a while, however I could be wrong. It seems like an awful a lot of money to have such (in my eyes) a limited run time. That being said we are looking at dry camping occasionally. Based on our travel record it would be essentially 50% of the time dry camping will be a reality. Also for around the house or whenever you may need a generator it's nice to have a couple around to use. The Yamaha units sound lifespan wise a great unit. I really want something quiet. Nothing is more irritating that have the generators droning out what would be a peaceful experience. That being said I can always turn them off and open the windows :).
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
rugersdad wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't seen that as I recall.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

rugersdad
Explorer
Explorer

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing to add is what weight you want to lug around. It's always made sense to me to have a pair of 2000 watt gennys as opposed to one heavy one as long is the pair take care of your power needs.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
You all are very helpful. Thank you for the insight and thoughts. The more I read here and the more I look at the options out there I feel the Hondas are the way to go. Should be signing papers Monday.
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
We are super happy with our Honda EU series. Though Yamaha might be worth a look. Thanks for thinking quiet.

If I were buying new, I probably would have bought the Hondas. I picked up the 2 Yamaha 2000s and the paralleling kit from another DRV owner for $1200 with less than 5 hours on them - they had never been used "in anger" to power an RV, just run every 3 months for maintenance. The Sidewinder paralleling kit was still in the sealed bag! It was a deal I couldn't pass up, and they've been problem-free so far.

Like the Hondas, the Yamaha EF2000iS generators require a neutral-to-ground bonding plug if they're going to be used with a power protection system as the generators have a floating neutral.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600