cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator 5500

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 keystone raptor toy hauler and my 5500 onan generator runs for about 30 min and shuts off. It will start again and run fine but if you turn on anything more than lights or TV it shuts off.
33 REPLIES 33

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up my trailer. Seems to be fixed but only time will tell.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck.

Report back with the results.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Keystone and they approved the vent. The are almost done so we will see. The dealer told me this is happening to a lot of new Onan 5500

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
twbronco wrote:
Update, the dealer said this model has issues with air flow. They are adding vents to the generator door.

Sorry, that ain't it.

Sounds like your dealer is just trying stuff.

Every Weekend Warrior I ever saw built with the Onan 5500 genny had a solid door and worked just fine.
The genny's pull air from the bottom, not the door.
There should be a totally open screen on the bottom.

I agree
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bedlam
Fuel flow or governor issues is my guess without more information. The safety may be shutting it down because it cannot maintain 60Hz.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
twbronco wrote:
Update, the dealer said this model has issues with air flow. They are adding vents to the generator door.

Sorry, that ain't it.

Every Weekend Warrior I ever saw built with the Onan 5500 genny had a solid door and worked just fine.

I'm with Lincster on this one. Mine never overheats and the door is solid. It did shut down this summer but that was due to vapor lock, fixed that with a new 3/8" fuel line from tank to pump.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
twbronco wrote:

Sorry, that ain't it.

2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
twbronco wrote:
It runs for awhile and then surges and shuts off. The red light then blinks three times

Start at the start... go into your owners manual and look up how to get trouble codes. Get the exact trouble code you have, come back here and tell us. We all will be able to help a lot more then.
More or less, everything else is just a guess. No guarantee the trouble code will be the tell all, but it is the place to start imo.

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
Oil level is good

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Check your oil level.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
It runs for awhile and then surges and shuts off. The red light then blinks three times

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
make sure that both spark plug wires are pushed on all the way.Had mine shake loose ,and run one cylinder.Unit had worked great at dealers and house not after bummby trp down Stoneman Lake road.Good luck..
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
We have just started our camping trip and it will run for a few hours under a light load before shutting off.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Onan in my previous rig wouldn't run under load because it was running on one cylinder due to ignition problems. Fixed by Onan under warranty.