cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

opinions on hanging a dirtbike off the back?

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
This is no problem for a class A motorhome, I see it all the time. But what about a hitch receiver on back a 10000+gvw fifth wheel with a bike lift and say 350-400 lbs of dirtbike?

Gotta consider the load effect for sure, but how safe or unsafe?
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dano1955 wrote:
This is no problem for a class A motorhome, I see it all the time. But what about a hitch receiver on back a 10000+gvw fifth wheel with a bike lift and say 350-400 lbs of dirtbike?

Gotta consider the load effect for sure, but how safe or unsafe?

It appears you have a new FW. As long as it's in warranty, any frame mods will likely void the warranty on the frame. A real a-hole mfr might try and void the entire warranty if you have any issues at all. I agree with the others that you should have a 2 receiver setup for stability.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
All I'm going to add to this is to use a fork brace instead of compressing the forks when tied down. Fast stops, and the forward/rearward bouncing on the trailer could cause the bike to lean 'forward' and the handlebar could contact the trailer as the front suspension compresses more (and also causes slack on the opposite strap).

I carry my XR400 on a hitch carrier on my truck (tonneau cover), and my last truck had a camper shell and I packed a porky KLX650 on it.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I double tow sometimes, with a couple bikes on a small trailer. My factory receiver on my FW says 300 hitch-3000 trailer. If I was only taking the dirt bike, it seemed over kill to double tow.

I bought a nice aluminum dirt bike carrier to carry my 250 lb off road. It works great on the truck, and I don't have to remove my FW hitch. Although it has a good hitch bar stabilizer, I decided not to use it on the FW, per the manufacturer stating not for FW/TT use. If I had a rear camera, I'd consider trying it. It uses 4 tie downs, and I could strap to the rear ladder also.

I suppose my wife could ride in the FW, with radio/phone contact to cab. She could sit in a swivel rocker and face backward, looking out the picture window. ๐Ÿ™‚ On second thought, I don't think I would want to hear what she would be saying!!!

If I had enough need, I'd consider putting a receiver on the front of the truck. I think E-trailer has them.

Jerry

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use a decent class of reciever and triangle brace it forward to reduce twisting moments at the rear area of trailer frame and flimsy bumper.

For a carrier we like our Versahaul.

Versahaul carriers

because it uses a receiver lock to prevent the carrier from flopping around

No need for cussin trying to get 2 bars plugged in to two receivers

Versa haul anti tilt lock

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course a lot depends on the strength of your 5th wheel frame. But something like the Idaho Tote is going to add more weight to the back of your 5th wheel than a single dirt bike. My Smart Trailer added about 600 lbs. to the rear of my 5th, but removed only about 100 lbs. off the hitch weight.

I think my main concern would be securing the bike so it doesn't move around and the handlebars don't pound on the back of the 5th wheel. And having a remote camera back there is always a good idea. Hate to get to your destination minus the bike. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have two 2" receivers welded to the frame rails... One in the middle will not hold 600 lbs very long. Forget a lift and make a ramp that pivots on the left receiver tube that needs to be 4 feet long for tying the handlebars down. Manually lift the back of the ramp up and put a 2 foot long receiver tube under it in the right receiver. You will need a second person to tie the front tire to the upturned front of the ramp and then to help you lift the back up once you have the handlebars tied down.
By lowering one end of th 8' long ramp to the ground it's fairly easy to get the bike up the ramp as you can control it from the ground. A 5er has so much excess tongue weight that putting 600 pounds on the back will not affect the handling unlike a travel trailer which might get squirrley if you did this.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Frame welded, I'd do it. Beware that if you have a new RV, at least one manufacturer has used the addition of such things to deny any warranty issue on frame issues.

350-400 lbs of dirtbike sounds like two dirtbikes, or at least one really big heavy one.

We've hauled two on a "rack" hanging off the back of a Tundra. It required welding more than one input hitch in to get the required stability.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Find a good, local welding shop. I had a hitch put on the rear of our previous 5th wheel just for hauling bicycles, but it would have hauled something larger. The welder took photos prior to putting the belly back on. He put gussets on it and sprayed undercoating on all the new parts. Very stout hitch. I think I paid a couple hundred dollars.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to check on the IDAHO TOTE attachment extension for your RV. This may not be considered a trailer in most states since it is permanently attached.

Idaho Tote

Just be aware how flimsy the current so called bumpers are installed. I would only let a qualified welder guy look at this for me and tie into the main frame under the trailer...

I suspect what you have now just barely supports your spare tire setup...

Just saying
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Just for reference, my Jayco factory installed Class 3 receiver is rated to 3,000 lbs towing or 300 lbs tongue weight. So if going for aftermarket, it would be advisable to find a reputable hitch shop that can advise. Plus a call to Jayco about proper attachment and how big you can go without risking frame issues. I'd guess you need to go to Class 4, at least.

Ditto in spades for the actual carrier. For bicycles there are almost no models where the mfg. doesn't specifically state that they are not to be used for "trailers" (only 2 brands I am aware of, and the specific models are very limited). The added length rear of the axles means a huge increase in the pounding the carrier and hitch assembly will be subject to. And, you have to extend even further back than "normal" to clear the bumper. 400# of dirt bike is many, many times more load than 100# of bicycles because of that. So you'll want far more strength for everything than you might otherwise assume.

You might be better off getting a mini-trailer for it, and making sure you can double tow.....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Not any worse than the tongue weight when people tow tandem.

Get a stout hitch and good to go.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I haul a 150cc scooter(about 300#) on the back of my 40' fiver and don't know it is back there. I mounted two receivers to hold the rack, so there is no wobble.