cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight Stops

Deb_and_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Retirement - finally! We have only taken local camping trips so far. We are going on a trip from Michigan to Wyoming and plan to do overnights at campgrounds along the way. Is it okay to stay hitched to the truck and put slides out if we are fairly level? Would we put the front/back jacks front down to the point of touching or a little more to take pressure off the truck?

The trip after that, we want to try overnight boon-docking a couple times. When boon-docking, we can use propane to operate the refrigerator, correct? Our concern is not being hooked up to power, putting out slides and not having power to put them back in the next morning. Do you leave electric from the 5th to the truck hooked up or would that drain the truck battery?

We noticed that Indiana rest areas say no overnights. Is that common?

Sorry for our ignorance - any help would be greatly appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
I DON'T KNOW WHERE TOMMAN58 FOUND A CAMPGROUND FOR 15 TO 20 DOLLARS A NIGHT, MAYBE 20 YEARS AGO

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
boblinfoto wrote:
Instead of spending your money for an overnight in a campground where you won't even unhook, stay at a Walmart. There is an app called ALLSTATES that shows locations of Walmart's, and other locations that you can stop at overnight.

I'd never will shop there and I don't think they have showers either. I always feel much better staying at a RV campground. Sometimes this leads to staying longer as we meet folks. I never worry of our safety and the noise of others is minimal.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

boblinfoto
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of spending your money for an overnight in a campground where you won't even unhook, stay at a Walmart. There is an app called ALLSTATES that shows locations of Walmart's, and other locations that you can stop at overnight.
2009 Outback Sydney Edition 321FRL 5th wheel, 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4 dogs, 2 cats

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
We use our overnight stops to refuel so we find it better just to disconnect.

X-2
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
PPP has been my motto when I worked and I use it now to run the USA and back every year. Planing Prevents Panic. We overnight at RV parks normally, we don't, don't level and don't put out all our slides just one main and the bedroom. Our TT is 40' and with other RV parks where I want to overnight and always call to insure that our length isn't a problem. We stay sometimes for 15 to 20 bucks a night and we've always felt safe in those situations.Our truck with TT we are over 68' long. I always research where I am going and know that area before going there.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

hard3
Explorer
Explorer
Cabala's stores allow overnight camping in most areas. The exception is when there is a local ordinance against it. Have stayed in a lot of Walmart parking lots over the years. Highly recommend getting a small quiet inverter generator big enough to run the a/c. You will eventually want it for dry camping. Enjoy the retirement!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pyoung47 wrote:
We often overnight at Wal-Mart. We never unhook or put the stabs down -- I try to be as I inobtrusive as possible. We call ahead to be sure it is OK. The only times we have been refused, the WM was part of a shopping center. We unhook the power from the truck -- I always stick a reminder on my steering wheel. If yo run the batteries down, you can jump to the truck to pull in the slides, but you will need long jumpers. I do.

Why would you need jumpers to the truck? Fire the truck up, hook up the umbilical, move the slides in. Pretty simple... :h

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
It's fine. I put down front legs just to stabilize trailer a little, while hooked up. Some campgrounds don't have room to stay hooked up. I go to one in NM and just expects you to stay hooked. he's on our way to Colorado. It actually works great.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a "jump starter" battery that is very light and has a air compressor. It wasn't purchased to take on trips. We do not "overnight" except in CGs. One day at home hooked the jump starter up as the battery for the fifth wheel. It moved the slides out and in. I now carry it on on all trips just in case! It cost less than $70 as well as I remember. It is handy for other uses on trips and at home.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Deb_and_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for your input. Much appreciated. Happy travels!

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
For over mites we stay hooked up if site is level enough, but I unplug from the truck and hang the cord over the side of the box by the wheelwell, makes it more likely to be seen and remembered.
I will drop the front jacks to help level if needed.
The only time we have stayed in rest areas was Ohio Turnpike. They have an Rv lot with electric. I think it was $10. It wasn't noisy at all and the State Police and Highway Patrol come through often.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
We often overnight at Wal-Mart. We never unhook or put the stabs down -- I try to be as I inobtrusive as possible. We call ahead to be sure it is OK. The only times we have been refused, the WM was part of a shopping center. We unhook the power from the truck -- I always stick a reminder on my steering wheel. If yo run the batteries down, you can jump to the truck to pull in the slides, but you will need long jumpers. I do.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
One quick night I try to stay hitched to the truck for less hassle in the morning.
Plenty of times no stabilizers, no chocks, no leveling. Set the parking brake and I am done. About the same as stopping for lunch, just get some sleep.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
We have overnighted several Times at Walmart. We always remained hooked up to our Truck.
God Bless!