cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking Rig in Yard

Magnum164
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to get a 5th wheel. Considering going ahead and starting full timing soon. My father passed away a few months ago and I am living in his house till we get everything through probate and the house sold. As I go I am down sizing everything I have and considering buying a used 5th wheel (or a few years old) and parking it in the yard.

Anyone know of any issues parking a 5th wheel in a yard? It is a slight hill on it but don;t think it would be an issue. I am not worried about any home owners association issues, there are none for this area. My only concern is with winter coming will be a lot of rain and just do not want it to sink in the yard.

If I do get a 5th wheel, I will have to rearrange furniture to account for my computer desk/ergonomic chairs. Since I am short and have back/neck problems I have to have the right type chairs or I will be in pain, so will probably gut anything already in the 5th that I can't use.

And the area for parking is almost a 1/2 acre, so no issues with room either.
20 REPLIES 20

acadianeh
Explorer
Explorer
I park my fiver next to the house. I first removed the lawn and hauled a few loads of gravel with my utility trailer, leveled it off for proper operation of the fridge (I'm lucky, the previous owner had installed a 30 amp outlet on my shed) and there you have it. Definitely do not park your rig on grass for any length of time. Moisture gets into the underside and can cause some rot problems.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
My parents do this with their fifth wheel. They have concrete patio blocks set into the sod for the trailer wheels to sit on. The only is when the ground gets really wet. If its tool wet then they risk putting tire tracks through the grass. Simply waiting a few days solves that issue. Theirs is stored this way every winter. During camping season it stays in the driveway.
Dan

Magnum164
Explorer
Explorer
And I should say for a perspective. While in the city limits, this is actually still farm land on the outskirts of town. I have 2 neighbors close by with over 30 head of cows. So, it's not like a RV is going to stick out like it would in a typical residential neighborhood.

Magnum164
Explorer
Explorer
tbred wrote:
joe b. wrote:
I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. You say the house where you are living is in probate and will be sold, sometime in the future. So why are you wanting to move out of the house to live in a 5th wheel in the yard? I would take my time, find a 5th wheel I like, park it in the yard to store it until the house sells. Then connect the truck to the trailer and be on the road as a full timer.

I would just stay in the house till the place sells. Get the trailer ready, get the furniture the way you want it, so that to move into it later would be just a matter of putting your personal items in it and be off down the road. Unless you are planning to run a sewer line to the 5th wheel, water and electricity, the house would sure be a better place to spend this winter, IMHO.

I think this is exactly what the op was going to do.

Yes, this is what I had planned on doing. No need for electricity, sewer or anything.

Also, since we have own the house since built. We know where all of the underground pipes are at. And there is nothing on the almost 1/2 acre on the side. Just like an open field.

For those questioning the law, there is nothing wrong with parking it on the lot, as long as it is not occupied. In order to be occupied it must be "permanently" attached to the existing house.

Some asked about the heirs, that is not going to be an issue since an empty house can not be insured. I have lived in the house most of my life and have paid a lot into the house. If anything, they would owe me money if they complained, and I have the receipts:) But my family gets along very well, in fact all are supportive and have asked me to come stay at their house at times when I get the trailer:)

I think most of my questions are answered. As long as the trailer is level and on something solid to avoid sinking our tire rot, I should be ok. Not worried about tearing the grass up as it is red clay. Had a dump truck deliver dirt several years ago, and with a full load he barely left a mark in the grass that a few rains didn't clear up. Red clay is like cement when dry.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
I am a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. You say the house where you are living is in probate and will be sold, sometime in the future. So why are you wanting to move out of the house to live in a 5th wheel in the yard? I would take my time, find a 5th wheel I like, park it in the yard to store it until the house sells. Then connect the truck to the trailer and be on the road as a full timer.

I would just stay in the house till the place sells. Get the trailer ready, get the furniture the way you want it, so that to move into it later would be just a matter of putting your personal items in it and be off down the road. Unless you are planning to run a sewer line to the 5th wheel, water and electricity, the house would sure be a better place to spend this winter, IMHO.

I think this is exactly what the op was going to do.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
I think he is just talking about parking it, not living in it...... I am the bad neighbor & been parking a camper now a fifth wheel in my yard for the past 25 years with no issues. ( Do park it on 2xs ) But as above check local laws & be sure it is properly chocked on hills.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Parking on dirt or gas promotes rust underneath. Best to park on crushed stone or pavement.

A 5th wheel is heavy. Be prepare for tearing up the yard if you need to pull it over any soft ground.

You might also be concerned about this...If any other heirs or beneficiaries are involved, what if the property value drops due to your causing landscape damage, or trying to sell the property with the trailer on the lot? The other heirs might come after you for lost inheretance or damages?
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is parked on 2x12 in my back yard. Im pluged into a 20amp outlet on weekends to keep the battery charged

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it's okay with local laws, it's not a good idea to park something that heavy in the yard. It could sink, there could be water/gas pipes and wells, aside from the septic. Traction might be bad, when you get ready to move it. Also, parking over grass invites, insects and critter infestation.
What about overhead branches, wires?
How long are you planning to park it?
Might be better to arrange either other storage options, or delay purchase.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be selling the house, you should consider how big a detractor living in the trailer while the house is for sale to potential buyers. I think many buyers will be turned off by a neighborhood that will allow people living in trailers on the lot with a house. You will be much wiser finding a campground.

Why can't you live in the house until it sells? Where were you living prior to your parent's death?

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Many municipalities have some laws/regulations about living in an RV on private property so probably would be a good idea to check your local area to be sure you don't get a complaint.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer has to level to operate refrigerator.....a plug for electric for the amps you will use is nice.....we keep ours plugged in year around....so had a 30 amp dedicated for the 5 er installed....good luck with your purchase

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention utilities. Installing even temporary utility service would be similar to setting up a mobile home. You'd need sufficient voltage, a sewer line that would drain and water. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you need to know what you're doing.
You may be better off setting up in a local campground.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock