cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paying for someone elses Sins / Buying used

Cooperchino70
Explorer
Explorer
So we went on a camping trip in the new to us 5th wheel this last weekend and were at the dump station I pulled the valve, dumped black tank, then gray tank, and then tried to shut the black tank valve and it wouldn't fully close.

So I hook up the hose to the bib, drag it inside the camper and fill the black tank fully with water so I can flush the obstruction out. -Lots- of very intact looking toilet paper starts coming out and I think to myself, well that had to be it, I go to shut the valve and it still wont fully close.

A line is starting to build behind me (its sunday and everyone is packing up) so I finish up and head home, dreading the task that I know is ahead of me.

This is only the second time we've used the rig since we bought it, and neither of us used the toilet for anything related to #2, we are both experienced campers, and know not to use anything but RV toilet paper in the camper when we do have to use the toilet.

So this means the mess in the black tank wasn't ours, which makes it even worse to have to deal with.

The dealer I bought it from at the time of purchase of course told me that they had fully prepped it, cleaned the whole unit, flushed the tanks etc. **The one thing I asked the dealer to do was to check the roof for any cracks and reseal it wherever required. The technician scoffed at me and told me and my wife that "he knew what his job was"...

As I feared this was completely untrue, it started raining really hard on our 1st trip (think monsoon) and there was a little water dripping from the bottom of the fridge, at first I thought it was the fridge sweating because of the humidity, but when I got up on the roof myself to check I saw a 2" circular crack where the fridge vent joins the roof seal. I carry a tube of dicor sealant, so I fixed it and the drip went away. Thankfully no visible damage on the inside of the camper.

When we got home I unbuttoned the bottom of the rig where the valves are, and got to work taking the black tank valve apart. I got it apart and found just what I thought I would, a wad of triple ply Charmin wedged in the seal. I cleaned it out and reassembled it so problem solved, took the rig to the local campground and filled/flushed 3 more times and I think the Charmin is finally all gone. Time will tell.

I wanted to share these experiences with the group so hopefully someone else can learn from them.

* Don't take your dealers word for anything.
* Check and verify everything yourself.
* If you run into a technician with a bad attitude, or that wont take direction from you (the customer) don't let them work on your rig.

Regards,

Colin
40 REPLIES 40

Cooperchino70
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
1. We use our bathroom for "both" purposes -- that's why we have a camper.
2. RV toilet paper is much like the "Arab" method.
3. Rid-X does no good in an RV tank -- unless you leave the stuff in there for weeks. Rid-X introduces bacteria into the septic system to promote the digestion of the material. It's pretty much useless in a normal septic system too, unless you sterilize your own poop, but it gives some folks a "peace of mind."

Cmon now we all know that If you use rid-x and RV toilet paper everything coming out of the tank looks like this:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the original owner has used plenty of water in the black tank it would have eliminated the problem. Its been my experience number of plies has no effect if we use lots of water.

The dealer may have flushed the tank but simply flushing may not get rid of the dried compacted materials. It will still be there.

This is where experience tells us to to add 10 gallons or so of water and a splash of dishwasher soap before we take the unit on a outing. Let it sit or its better to drive around for 10-15 min for the tank to slosh. Let it sit for a few days and then dump the mess.
Our first camper with a stool/holding tank was a '76 9' 6" truck camper. We've always used our house tp and lots of water for flushing.

After three truck campers/one tt and three 5th wheel trailers has shown us to use every thing in the camper before a camping trip away from home. Doing so with a new or used unit can eliminate lots of bugs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
1. We use our bathroom for "both" purposes -- that's why we have a camper.
2. RV toilet paper is much like the "Arab" method.
3. Rid-X does no good in an RV tank -- unless you leave the stuff in there for weeks. Rid-X introduces bacteria into the septic system to promote the digestion of the material. It's pretty much useless in a normal septic system too, unless you sterilize your own poop, but it gives some folks a "peace of mind."

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
We use the same TP we use in the house...have always done that. Never had an issue. Also, we've lived on a septic system all our lives without concern over the type of TP we use. Baby wipes are no good, but TP is not a legitimate concern in a RV or home w/septic. Take it from me...a guy who makes his living on the turd end of the #2 business. In addition, we've never used any kind of septic tank treatment. That stuff is mostly marketing, and as long as your septic is working properly, it does nothing useful.

Don't blame the original owners. I'm sure they didn't set out to clog the black tank and damage the roof. Many previous owners ditch their old units in order to upgrade, downgrade or simply because they're not camping anymore. Buyer beware.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always tell city folks with their fancy TP:).
Around here you'd better be using single ply Scotts labeled safe for septic systems. Works great in the RV as well.
Puma 30RKSS

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Have used regular toilet paper for years and use out tank for #1 and #2(that is what it is for) and have never had any problems. Empty tanks....flush a lot and never get a buildup.
cpaulsen

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is nothing to do with the OP's reason for posting, but there are different grades of household toilet paper. We use regular household Scott's and it breaks down just fine even for our vacuflush toilet and there are others that work fine also, but Charmin won't. It breaks down but takes a lot longer.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Been usin regular TP for 16 years. See no reason to stop now

24 years for me, never an issue.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
Cooperchino70 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Don't matter what kind you use. It won't be there long enough to dissolve anyway

/Disagree.

The thin RV toilet paper disintegrates almost immediately. The household stuff holds together much longer.

This has been tested many times, heres an example:
RV Toilet Paper Test

^^^^^ this has been my experience.

Mine also. You put 25 gals water in there with whatever and drive 300 miles and I assure you only mush comes out. Water is the answer . Plenty of water. May have to dump more but its worth it. I drop first thing ever day I park. MOHO
N4FAP

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been usin regular TP for 16 years. See no reason to stop now
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cooperchino70
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Cooperchino70 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Don't matter what kind you use. It won't be there long enough to dissolve anyway

/Disagree.

The thin RV toilet paper disintegrates almost immediately. The household stuff holds together much longer.

RV Toilet Paper Test

Problem is that it disintegrates in your hand, =before= it ever hits the tank. Don't know about you, but I don't like having to clean my fingernails after I poop. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Eew! Lol

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cooperchino70 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

/Disagree.

RV Toilet Paper Test

Problem is that it disintegrates in your hand, =before= it ever hits the tank. Don't know about you, but I don't like having to clean my fingernails after I poop. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Cooperchino70 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

/Disagree.

RV Toilet Paper Test

^^^^^ this has been my experience.
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

Cooperchino70
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

/Disagree.

RV Toilet Paper Test

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cooperchino70, it sounds like you're paying more for the dealer's sins than the original owner's sins, IMO. I'd certainly be talking to that dealer's GM and/or owner about the issues. I'd also be letting them know that I wouldn't be dealing with them again and that I'd be spreading the word about his lazy/lying service people.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member