cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picked up the new home. Road warrior

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who is interested. 34" tires with 2" rear lift. I had a ton of room. 2014 415 road warrior.
Big girl. Truck towed it great. No issues. Weighted it at the scales and im over on the rear axle weight and im over on my GVW. I talked to the real life weight police when i was there and he explained to me that if you have good tires and rim setup, your good to go.. Keep it under 26000 pounds and 65 feet

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo to comply with the 640 pixel guidelines. When posting pictures in the future please use the Yellow Image icon in the tool bar, paste your photos URL link in the appropriate box and type in 640 in the width box (leave height blank). Thanks
75 REPLIES 75

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
afishinado wrote:
ricatic wrote:

I do not understand the "no point in a SRW 1 ton" comment...while I would not tow the OP's Road Warrior with any SRW truck, there are many fivers out there up to 16000# GVW that would be tow-able with a SRW 1 ton pickup while remaining within manufacturer's specifications...but not even close with 10000# GVW 3/4 ton trucks...I am not a weight police guy but for the small difference in price and the better towing specifications, I see no reason for the 3/4 ton trucks other than cheaper license plates...

After looking at the rig posted in your profile, the late model 1 ton SRW trucks will be plenty for your needs...as long as you load it properly...take it to the scales and you will see...

Regards

All 08 GM trucks I have looked at say the same thing... My only concern is the hitch weight, or payload of the trucks...
Here are the GAWR RR right off the stickers
2500- 6084lbs
3500SRW- 6500lbs
3500DRW- 8200lbs

I see no point in a 1 ton SRW

ricatic wrote:
but not even close with 10000# GVW 3/4 ton trucks...

Now what are you talking about???? It's 9200 on a 3/4 and 9900 on a SRW 1 ton...
The GVW on my trailer is 13,000, well within the tow limits of a 3/4. It's going on a scale fully loaded next month and I will know exactly what I'm pulling cross country in the summer... My bet is it will be a 3/4 with a set of Firestone bags if I need'em

My apologies for the breakdown of my crystal ball...Your original post did not clarify what year trucks you were looking at and the GVW of your fiver...

My assertion is still valid though...you, like many here, are disregarding the certified GVW of the truck and using the rear axle rating...The two axles always add up to a higher weight than the GVW...and air bag do not raise your certified weight ratings...

I towed my 12000# Big Horn for two summers with a F250 with similar capacity as yours...you are right...it will handle your 13000# GVW trailer as long as you load it carefully...but the additional capacity of an identically equipped 1 ton will handle it better with no sacrifices in ride quality and mileage...BTDT...it will likely be a couple inches taller though...

I must ask though...what is your reason for not considering the 1 ton...the only real reason in the used market is higher license fees in some states...

Enjoy your new rig...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
ricatic wrote:

I do not understand the "no point in a SRW 1 ton" comment...while I would not tow the OP's Road Warrior with any SRW truck, there are many fivers out there up to 16000# GVW that would be tow-able with a SRW 1 ton pickup while remaining within manufacturer's specifications...but not even close with 10000# GVW 3/4 ton trucks...I am not a weight police guy but for the small difference in price and the better towing specifications, I see no reason for the 3/4 ton trucks other than cheaper license plates...

After looking at the rig posted in your profile, the late model 1 ton SRW trucks will be plenty for your needs...as long as you load it properly...take it to the scales and you will see...

Regards

All 08 GM trucks I have looked at say the same thing... My only concern is the hitch weight, or payload of the trucks...
Here are the GAWR RR right off the stickers
2500- 6084lbs
3500SRW- 6500lbs
3500DRW- 8200lbs

I see no point in a 1 ton SRW

ricatic wrote:
but not even close with 10000# GVW 3/4 ton trucks...

Now what are you talking about???? It's 9200 on a 3/4 and 9900 on a SRW 1 ton...
The GVW on my trailer is 13,000, well within the tow limits of a 3/4. It's going on a scale fully loaded next month and I will know exactly what I'm pulling cross country in the summer... My bet is it will be a 3/4 with a set of Firestone bags if I need'em
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys

Bedlam
mrxlh wrote:
A dually axle is a floater, your single is not, so yes, there is a ton of difference between the two as far as how they are built.

I don't know of any 3/4t or 1t SRW that have semi floating axles (unless they made light version at some point). Once you get down to the 1/2t trucks is where you find semi floating axle setups.
I'm Rick James wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
That argument only holds true if you assume engineering create the specifications instead of accounting or marketing. The fact is that same equipment is under different names and specifications because is cheaper to stock less variety of parts and have less variation on assembly lines.

You're supporting my case. The "specifications" you cite that may be marketing or accounting driven are derived from engineering specifications. Do you really think an auto manufacturer in this day and age isn't going to have quantifiable support for their specifications that come from engineers? The "Big 3" employ massive legal departments that depend on this information for litigious purposes.

You missed the point completely. Even if a component is designed to certain rating, does not mean it is sold that way. If marketing needs less expensive price point without sourcing new parts and doing the design and testing behind it, they can rebadge the same part with a lower rating to target that demograghic.

Let's give you another comparison. GM could have sold same vehicle under Hummer, Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn and Buick to target different markets. They later realized that that they could fold some their divisions because the perceived diversity did not relate to a financial advantage. Just because they were badged differently did not mean they were unique other than the trim.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Rick James wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:

LOL, so rick james, adding better tires and rims are a bandaid?
Troll much?

What was incorrect about my assertion of the complete contradiction of your statement?

Putting better tires on a vehicle isnt a bandaid. Thats the contradiction.

Please, just go back to your cave.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Rick James wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:
Just out of curiousity.. Something dodge built in 2008, what would i replace my 1 ton with to tow this.. Has to be dodge and 2007.5-2009. And 4wd.

Wow, that's a tough one! How about a 2007.5-2009 Ram dually and some basic grammar lessons?

Touche, when you dont have anything else to talk about, target their grammar.

Im not switching to a dually. Towing capacity is only 23k. Not happening. I would just switch my truck to dual rear wheels since they are basically IDENTICAL!

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
mrxlh wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:
mrxlh wrote:
Congrats on the new rig, looks nice. Let us know how much it costs to fix when you have your first blowout on the camper. I give your rear diff a year before it heads south.

This******right here. The rear diff. has the same bearing setup as the DRW. So that statement is just crap. The extra two wheels wont help save my diff. Now if the DRW had larger bearings then i would be concerned. You are just spouting out nonsense.

A dually axle is a floater, your single is not, so yes, there is a ton of difference between the two as far as how they are built. As far as the ST tires on a triple axle heavy hauler, I give you exhibit "A"

The amount of damage was more than a set of LT rib tires.

Dodge SRW uses the AAM 11.5 full floaters too.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
mrxlh wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:
mrxlh wrote:
Congrats on the new rig, looks nice. Let us know how much it costs to fix when you have your first blowout on the camper. I give your rear diff a year before it heads south.
Paging Mr. Positive, your table is ready. :E

More like Mr. Realistic. 2 RV's, 2 blowouts on less than 2 year old ST tires, never again. Rear diffs when loaded past the max weight continuously, always develop issues.
Just bustin' your balls. I know what you mean. Had about 4 blowouts myself and actually lost an entire rim while on a trip (lug nut sheared right off). My stomach sank when I saw the damage from my cheap D rated Chinese tires. I actually got a little acid reflux when I saw your pic too.

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
Lyrikz wrote:
Just out of curiousity.. Something dodge built in 2008, what would i replace my 1 ton with to tow this.. Has to be dodge and 2007.5-2009. And 4wd.

Wow, that's a tough one! How about a 2007.5-2009 Ram dually and some basic grammar lessons?
'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I'm Rick James wrote:
I have no interest in doing research on part numbers from a 2008 Ram. You're grossly overweight and your trying to convince yourself that you're not. If you want to operate that way, that's a conscious decision that you make. The limitations on these trucks are developed by engineers, do you think you know more than those professionals?

That argument only holds true if you assume engineering create the specifications instead of accounting or marketing. The fact is that same equipment is under different names and specifications because is cheaper to stock less variety of parts and have less variation on assembly lines.

You're supporting my case. The "specifications" you cite that may be marketing or accounting driven are derived from engineering specifications. Do you really think an auto manufacturer in this day and age isn't going to have quantifiable support for their specifications that come from engineers? The "Big 3" employ massive legal departments that depend on this information for litigious purposes.
'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

mrxlh
Explorer
Explorer
Lyrikz wrote:
mrxlh wrote:

This******right here. The rear diff. has the same bearing setup as the DRW. So that statement is just crap. The extra two wheels wont help save my diff. Now if the DRW had larger bearings then i would be concerned. You are just spouting out nonsense.

A dually axle is a floater, your single is not, so yes, there is a ton of difference between the two as far as how they are built. As far as the ST tires on a triple axle heavy hauler, I give you exhibit "A"

The amount of damage was more than a set of LT rib tires.
Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES

mrxlh
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
mrxlh wrote:
Paging Mr. Positive, your table is ready. :E

More like Mr. Realistic. 2 RV's, 2 blowouts on less than 2 year old ST tires, never again. Rear diffs when loaded past the max weight continuously, always develop issues.
Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
judelaurenzo25g wrote:
This post is very entertaining 🙂

ahaha. awesome.

I just wanted to learn what to expect being a fat turn with 4 wheels on the highway.

I learned what to watch for, what to expect.

I still dont believe you cant equip a vehicle to handle the weight....

Anyways, its been fun. I will update you on how it goes. Hopefull you dont see a for sale ad or want to buy add in the near future.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
This post is very entertaining 🙂 and informative. I keep coming back.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.