cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Presidents' Day weekend

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Just booked three nights camp 016 at Calico Ghost town. We really enjoyed the civil war reenactment last year plus we didn't have the RZR so it should be a bit more fun this time. Anyone else going out there? Any spots to check out in the area on the RZR ?
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
57 REPLIES 57

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo, Thanks for the infor, did you notice a big increase of power with the kit? Some say it not worth the money to do the kit for the power you get out of it, I am on the fence as to put the money in it or just stay stock.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
Strabo, on your rebuild what did you do? did you stay stock? big bore kit with cam? did you do it you self? and where did you get parts? How since the rebuild and what kind of riding do you do? sorry for the questions

Big bore with a cam, kibble white valve train, clutch work. I paid a local company to do it. We ride desert, sierra's.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
Loved it, nice change lot different trail riding, looking to going to canyon 148 and camping out there. Drove up it a little, some old mines and trail to explore defiantly on the list to check out next. The X-15 memorial was really impressive,must see!!

awesome! haven't made it to X-15 yet.

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Loved it, nice change lot different trail riding, looking to going to canyon 148 and camping out there. Drove up it a little, some old mines and trail to explore defiantly on the list to check out next. The X-15 memorial was really impressive,must see!!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear Michale. How do you like Charlie's place compared to Jawbone?

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo, on your rebuild what did you do? did you stay stock? big bore kit with cam? did you do it you self? and where did you get parts? How since the rebuild and what kind of riding do you do? sorry for the questions

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
The second picture on the left with the tree in background is where we put our trailer,used the cement pad as a front deck. That was a cool picture of the old bar/house. There was a larger group in a circle across away from us talk about perfect setting; no dust the ground was just wet enough to get a good bite with the tires and air temp was just right!! just wish the RZR didn't throw a rod bearing on the first day!

Rod bearing happened to me too. It's not good cause it's a Motor rebuild, top to bottom. That's what I did, motor has been right on since then.
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
The second picture on the left with the tree in background is where we put our trailer,used the cement pad as a front deck. That was a cool picture of the old bar/house. There was a larger group in a circle across away from us talk about perfect setting; no dust the ground was just wet enough to get a good bite with the tires and air temp was just right!! just wish the RZR didn't throw a rod bearing on the first day!

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
mpoulsen wrote:
Had great time at Charlie's Place/Wagon wheel,rained Thursday night a little Friday morning rest weekend and Monday was great weather!!! Found out we camped right at Charlie's bar, cement pad, had someone come to camp and told us that we camped at the site of the bar had been, cool!!! The only bummer was lost rod bearing on RZR Saturday morning, but rode with friend to Randsburg and X-15 site. Great weekend with good friends.

do some research and you'll find photos of the old Wagon Wheel bar that was on that slab. I was racing/riding back when it was there but don't remember ever going there. Did hit quite a few other "desert bars" with Dad and his friends.

I never thought to Google it. I just found THIS PAGE with some photos and a brief description.

This reminds me of a biker dive bar that we used to ride to from El Mirage back in the 80s. It got harder and harder to find a legal route to that bar once the area started to get built out. I imagine the new homes we saw being built didn't survive the recessions.

Was that Zeldas? My dad's group had a 3 bar loop starting in Hi Vista, to El Mirage and back, don't remember the third but I know one was Zelda's and then Hi Vista. My grandparents lived about 5 miles from the Hi Vista store.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
mpoulsen wrote:
Had great time at Charlie's Place/Wagon wheel,rained Thursday night a little Friday morning rest weekend and Monday was great weather!!! Found out we camped right at Charlie's bar, cement pad, had someone come to camp and told us that we camped at the site of the bar had been, cool!!! The only bummer was lost rod bearing on RZR Saturday morning, but rode with friend to Randsburg and X-15 site. Great weekend with good friends.

do some research and you'll find photos of the old Wagon Wheel bar that was on that slab. I was racing/riding back when it was there but don't remember ever going there. Did hit quite a few other "desert bars" with Dad and his friends.

I never thought to Google it. I just found THIS PAGE with some photos and a brief description.

This reminds me of a biker dive bar that we used to ride to from El Mirage back in the 80s. It got harder and harder to find a legal route to that bar once the area started to get built out. I imagine the new homes we saw being built didn't survive the recessions.

My wife had a big project not too far from there in A.V. in the early 90s. The developer went bankrupt and stiffed all the subs (including her). The project reverted back to the bank and none of the homes were ever finished or sold. She stayed pretty bitter about that for a long time, but there was no recourse with the bank. And then one night we were at the movies watching one of the Lethal Weapon movies and there was a big shootout scene where they were chasing through some framed homes and shooting nail guns at each other. My wife stood up and yelled, "Hey, that's my project, those b**tards!" At the end when they blew the whole thing up she cheered "WOO HOO". She never got paid on that job, but it was almost worth it to see the whole place get burned to the ground. (Sorry for the tangent.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everyone made it back home safe - weather was perfect in calico

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Strabo wrote:
nayther wrote:
WOW! What a weekend in the high desert. Rained like a mofo Friday afternoon, night. But Saturday morning blue skies random clouds. Riding was OFF THE HOOK! Water everywhere, had a blast on a short technical ride with a few buddies. then fun and games with the club. Great weekend afterall.

High Desert Adventure!!.... We rode out Lucifer the Storm, our group had 16 rigs in 2 circles next to each other. No fire pit, soaking wet all night long, glad we decided to go and deal with it. Fun stuff and we are all safe.

We were in Cal City also, on high ground so run off wasn't a problem. The desert is now alive in green. I miss going already.

Next month we have an event planned to set two memorials at The Husky the day before a race at Digger camp. The grass and flowers should be amazing that weekend and all spring. I can't imagine what the Poppy Preserve will look like.

Can't wait to take the grand kids and go check it out.