cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Price it right---- Take care of it.-SOLD

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings-- I have been RVing (camping) most of my life.

Went through the process of tent campers truck campers travel trailers 5th wheels and I just recently bought my third fifth wheel.:C

I hear a lot of people complaining that they can't sell their used rigs ,they can't sell the vehicle , had it for sale for months some even the year --and they can't sell it.:h

Here is my experience in this --I bought The old camper (a 2000 Cardinal) 7 years ago and found it at a very good price --and it was in very good shape.:C

I took meticulous care of it and always kept on top of the maintenance ,And when I went to sell it (because it is so early up here in northern Michigan)-- I did not put it on the internet ,Craigslist or anything yet-- because we still had a foot and a half of snow on the ground.:E

I do have a good Advantage --I live right next to a major highway right in town ,so I clean the interior of the rig up real good ,and put two for sale signs on the fence-- By the highway at my house.:W

Keep in mind that this is early March we still have lots of snow on the ground campgrounds don't even open until April.

About a week went by because it was still snowing and just not real Pleasant ,and then I started getting phone calls --I had about 8 to 10 phone calls and then I had three or four sets of people stop and look at it.

The Last looked at it -- they looked it over ,spend about an hour looking at it --said its nice ---and then just left.:h

Well, I Figured that was the end of that I'll never see them again --and two days later they called and left a message on my phone ,said that they had gotten approved for the loan they needed the numbers---(vin,etc..).So their Bank could cut them a check for me.:E
( they Said they'd looked at a couple other Rigs after they left.-and wanted to make sure to get mine before it was gone).

So here is where I guess my advice comes in---- number 1 ,Take care of your rig !!!!
No one even questioned The condition of the rig--- and everywhere they looked in it -ready to go camping........( everything worked.).

Number 2-- price it right ---Okay I owned the rig for 7 years and I sold it for $2500 under what I paid for it...........( so that it was about roughly $360 a year I believe).

Now, people with a couple yrs old rigs-- arent going to fair this well---But At $360 a year " loss"--- I had at least that much enjoyment with it.

Sure I probably could have gotten what I paid for it ---but the important thing to me was that it's sold!!!!!!
( lightning fast)- I did not have to put it on the internet ,the Craigslist ,anything !!!

I took care of it, Priced it RIGHT--- Its SOLD!!!
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member
28 REPLIES 28

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you bought it back in 2009 when the economy was terrible. Almost anything u bought then was a good deal. Now the economy is better and banks are lending loosely again. Prices are now much higher.

Did I read you post right that the buyer was getting a loan for a 16 year old RV?
Jeep and Explorer

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Jayco TT in 2010 for $29,000. I put it on consignment, October, 1015 where I wanted $12,000. It sold in less than one month. Now, I don't finance RVs, so it was easier to place a decent price.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I know someone who had no luck selling their trailer using all of the above methods. He finally took and park it at a home depot out near the entrance and out of the way. He would pick it up near the end of the day and not leave it overnight. Sold it in a week. Lots of traffic at a home depot.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
laknox wrote:

I started $500 below low NADA and am now $3000+ below low NADA. RVTrader has generated exactly 7 emails, with 4 being scams, 1 phone call and 1 looker. RVT has generated 1 email and 1 call. Lousy for $300 in ad fees. CL in PHX has generated 3 lookers, several legit texts and phone calls and about 2 dozen scams. That's it since last August, when I first listed it. Just dropped another $500 this weekend. Sux...

Lyle

Are you considering doing a consignment? Or just trading it in? Just curious is all. At $3k below book, a consignment might get you that.

Hope it sells for you. Spring is here, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the luck; I need it! Every consignment place I called would net me about $2-4k less than I'm priced at, now. I did talk to one place on a trade, and while they'd give me a respectable trade, my net discount would only have been about 25%, at best. I don't =need= a new RV this year and I'll use the old one if I get time to go camping before I take it in the shorts that bad. Enjoy it now and sell it later, I guess.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Time of year and location can play a big part in how quickly it sells and for how much. I won't bother trying to sell an rv in the fall, nobody is buying then, nor do they want to store it, so I wait till spring. I will however shop in the fall for the better deals for the same reasons.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
If selling an RV, I would suggest consignment as well. In 2008 we towed our 2004 TT 500 mi to PPL outside of Houston. The TT was in showroom condition and I threw in the hitch. They sold it on 2 months for $1k MORE than we paid for it new. The extra $ paid there fees. They seem to have a good track record. Maybe there is some company near you for consignment sales.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:

I started $500 below low NADA and am now $3000+ below low NADA. RVTrader has generated exactly 7 emails, with 4 being scams, 1 phone call and 1 looker. RVT has generated 1 email and 1 call. Lousy for $300 in ad fees. CL in PHX has generated 3 lookers, several legit texts and phone calls and about 2 dozen scams. That's it since last August, when I first listed it. Just dropped another $500 this weekend. Sux...

Lyle

Are you considering doing a consignment? Or just trading it in? Just curious is all. At $3k below book, a consignment might get you that.

Hope it sells for you. Spring is here, fingers crossed.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Tried to sell mine last Summer. Priced it at $5,000 under low NADA retail. Priced it lower than all the competition nationwide. Spotlessly clean. Freshly painted front and rear caps to eliminate faded gelcoat. Loaded with expensive upgrades and accessories. I provided a lot of very nice pictures. My trailer is paid for so I was willing to look at offers...Advertised it on several national websites as well as locally...Results after 3 months...Not one single inquiry...They don't always sell fast, or for that matter, at all..

B.O.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
"Buying" it right is also the key if you are buying used and time comes to sell it.

I have been very fortunate to have bought 4 of my RV's right, used them and sold them for what I bought them for! In essence using an RV for free. :W

One of the many reasons I held out from buying new.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried to sell mine last Summer. Priced it at $5,000 under low NADA retail. Priced it lower than all the competition nationwide. Spotlessly clean. Freshly painted front and rear caps to eliminate faded gelcoat. Loaded with expensive upgrades and accessories. I provided a lot of very nice pictures. My trailer is paid for so I was willing to look at offers...Advertised it on several national websites as well as locally...Results after 3 months...Not one single inquiry...They don't always sell fast, or for that matter, at all..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

My Blog
Good Sam Member

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all

If you look at my Signature , you see what I bought. , my Signature is showing

Hmmm... Well, for those wondering In December I purchased a 2005 Pilgrim International (Yes I know they do not exist anymore--SO ??)
Model 357 RLDS-5....Open Road. Three slides, about 38 Ft.

It was taken care of Immaculately by the Original owners, and it is in Perfect shape.
They are close to retirement , and have decided to "Go a different route"..

Don't know, I did not ask what route.

Pictures when I pick it up.

It doesn't matter to me that the Company No longer exists---- I am sure NO ONE still owns a OLDSMOBILE????
(Oldsmobile no longer exists)..The unit is past warranty, except the roof, ( But the roof is still covered by manf.)....and components in any camper --are not made by the camper builder.

As far as Someone else Financing a 16 year old RV-----Well, THEY DID , and THEY are Happy .( I guess its a good thing you are not them Huh???):W..So That is that!!!
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

My Blog
Good Sam Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
You still have to be selling something that someone wants to buy, no matter =how= good the price...as I'm finding out. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you people did very well on selling used RVs. Myself, I would never pay the same price or higher for a used item then it sold for new. I don't care how well it was maintained. Just my purchasing discipline.