cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with dump tank handles

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 crossroads cruiser 5th wheel has dump valve handles in the storage area. They are very hard to pull open. I don't know if the problem is in the valve itself or possibly in the remote cable between the valve and the pull handle.
I've tried spraying lubricant in the area behind the handle when I have it in the open position.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and know of any remedies for this.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)
2011 F350 superduty 4X4 Lariat 6.7
2012 Crossroads Cruiser patriot CF 335SS
15 REPLIES 15

TrickyRicky
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it can be the cables and sometimes the valves themselves. Fixing the problem will probably mean exposing the valves and the cables by dropping some of the belly wrap. Look for sharp turns in the cables that is one of the biggest causes of hard to operate valves. The cables can be usually rerouted to form a straighter line sometimes it means cutting the cable to remove some of the slack that is coiled up. When the valves are exposed disconnect the cable and try pulling the cable is it still hard then it is probably the cable causing the problem. Most valves have 4 bolts with nuts holding the two halves together and they are too tight squeezing the inside rubber seals to put excess pressure on the sliding gate. Try manually moving the valve may need a pair of pliers or vice grips on the shaft that the cable was fastened too. If the valve moves real hard try backing the nuts off just slightly and try again. If you have loosened the nuts and the valve now works OK you should put some water in the tank to make sure the valve does not leak before closing the belly wrap back up.

2008 Newmar Torry Pine
2013 F350 Platinum, Pull Rite Superglide
A Cocker Spaniel "Tucker" a Cavalier King Charles "Lilly
and us Elaine & Rick