cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane frig on while driving?

babun
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to Rv'ing so excuse this question.....

I've heard the importation of a level camper so the the refig works correctly.
Also heard all the horror stories... dead refig in minutes, end of the world, teenage daughter gets pregnant, if the camper is not level.

I have a mountain climb on I40 in east tenn. that is quite steep and long, about 7 miles of driving. I'm sure there are steeper and longer grades out there.

Does your refig blow up as you crest the top??
41 REPLIES 41

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Doing it for years,no prob
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
There are propane powered vehicles running around and they dont seem to care.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Religion, politics, and running refrigerators while traveling should never be argued. No one ever convinces the other side he/she is right. :B

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Is even transporting propane dangerous? Well yes, as well as transporting gasoline, and a bunch of other stuff! I guess it comes down to your definition of dangerous, does that mean every time you leave the house, (the house is dangerous also, home accidents), you are going to be killed? Or does it mean that something has the possibility of happening? Yes, under the right circunstances with the moon aligning with mars, the propane system could develope a leak and explode and burn your RV to the ground. Will it, probably not. Gasoline is just as "dangerous" or more so, but we use it every day, almost 50,000 people are killed every year in auto accidents, do we ban cars? No, we live with the possibilities.
I think the OP was asking if you could damage the fridge by running down the road with it on, as opposed to how safe propane systems are. Most on this site do run the fridge while driving, and someone was kind enough to post info from manufacturers stating it was not going to damage the fridge by running them while driving!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
I wouldn't say it is dangerous but you are traveling with a pressurized propane system which incurs a certain degree of risk. I try not to if possible, the fridge will stay cold longer than I want to tow in a day unless conditions are extreme. Been doing it that way for 15 years and no ptomaine yet. Your choice.

Yeah that propane system is pressurized to 0.4 psi and has more safe guards then the vehicle fuel system.
No Flow Devices, Excess Flow Devices, Flame Proving, System Lock Out

Funny how folks will sleep with that same system operating but to travel with it on is tantamount to suicide

The appliances have these safeguards, the system does not. Excess flow devices will only work if a leak is large enough. If your fridge is running, the system still has to allow an instant increase in flow for your other appliances to light off and run.

Your trailer isn't working and flexing when it is parked, nor is the plumbing subject to damage from rocks or other debris, exposure to which will depend on the layout of your particular RV's system.

As for the quotes from Dometic and Norcold, they are saying their appliances will work if you are towing, they don't say it is OK to tow with them running because they don't know anything about the particular propane system in your RV. To do so would open them up to litigation.

As I said, I wouldn't call it dangerous but to deny there is any increased risk is just wishful thinking.

I don't care what people do but there is more than one way to look at this.

No flow device is on portable cylinders.....no hose connected/no flow
Excess flow devices are inside hoses....if a hose were to rupture/get a leak due to spit/rub a hole the excess flow will trip
System is only 0.4psi

Fuel system on vehicle 20K

Using propane is safer than running vehicle.

YES there are more than one way to look at things.
With knowledge and without knowledge.

Understanding how systems work and safe guards built in provides knowledge one can then use to make a choice.

I only post to try and provide information not argue about some one's choice.

I choose to use propane and keep my food cold.

Life is a risk. Try crossing the street....yet we do it.

Whether a high flow shutoff works depends on the volume of leak. When the gas valve for your furnace or hot water heater opens it doesn't trip anything. If they both lit off at the same time, there wouldn't enough flow to trip anything. A cracked or punctured line or lose fitting could easily result in a flow that is no greater than either.

Choose to do what you want, I've never suggested otherwise but don't tell people they have safeguards they may not have in certain circumstances.

I'll ignore the last statement, it isn't worth a response.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
silvercorvette wrote:
2oldman wrote:
babun wrote:
Next, I'll ask about LT vs. ST tires.....
After that, ask about gas vs diesel, which GPS to buy, and camping at Walmart. And make sure they're all posted in 5th wheels. 🙂

Give the guy a break and try not to be rude. The guy just joined this forum a couple months ago and came here to learn. If you do not like the question move on to another topic.

I would like to apologize to the OP for the rude behavior of some people and like to inform him that most of the members are not rude when someone asks question. I have been camping since the early 1980s and there are many things I need to ask.

Guess you didn't finish reading ALL of OPs post about the LT & ST tires

You missed this part

just kidding..read all the threads about that!!

Seems OP has a sense of humor and apologies not needed

Had a sense of humor and a set of morals too.

lost both some where.....

Everything is okay, no apologies needed. And I can take a jab or too
every once in a way.:C

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
It just depends on how much you tow, how you maintain your equipment and how risk adverse you are. Not everyone should tow with the fridge running. I tow 700-800 miles in a day, days at a time (not retired) and let it run. There is enough risk in other things in my life that make this look a little silly.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
the Rv Dr says no.

He doesn't say no here:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/12/propane-on-while-driving-rv-oh-boy.html
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have been full timing now for 2 years. The fridge got set to 'auto' when I moved in and it has not been changed since that day. I have been up and down mountains in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and in just about every other western state as well without problems. Also up and down Monteagle in East Tennessee on I-24 several times.

I have a diesel and always fill up after I have set up camp so no danger there. If I was hooked up and needed fuel, as long as I was at an all diesel island at a truck stop I would not bother to turn off the propane. If I had to fuel up at a combination gas/diesel island I would turn it off.

Tim

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
four pages of advise on this topic. The RV pros, such as the guy on rv education 101 says no. the Rv Dr says no. as a firefighter I say no. have see many on the freeways burn up because of the frig being on. fought a fire in a gas station where the guy left his frig on and it caught the fumes on fir. lost the MH, a UPS truck and the building. almost lost the large propane station also but we got water on it to keep it cool. good thing too, we could have lost the small town we live in.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
I wouldn't say it is dangerous but you are traveling with a pressurized propane system which incurs a certain degree of risk. I try not to if possible, the fridge will stay cold longer than I want to tow in a day unless conditions are extreme. Been doing it that way for 15 years and no ptomaine yet. Your choice.

Yeah that propane system is pressurized to 0.4 psi and has more safe guards then the vehicle fuel system.

Funny how folks will sleep with that same system operating but to travel with it on is tantamount to suicide

The appliances have these safeguards, the system does not. Excess flow devices will only work if a leak is large enough. If your fridge is running, the system still has to allow an instant increase in flow for your other appliances to light off and run.

Your trailer isn't working and flexing when it is parked, nor is the plumbing subject to damage from rocks or other debris, exposure to which will depend on the layout of your particular RV's system.

As for the quotes from Dometic and Norcold, they are saying their appliances will work if you are towing, they don't say it is OK to tow with them running because they don't know anything about the particular propane system in your RV. To do so would open them up to litigation.

As I said, I wouldn't call it dangerous but to deny there is any increased risk is just wishful thinking.

No flow device is on portable cylinders.....no hose connected/no flow
Excess flow devices are inside hoses....if a hose were to rupture/get a leak due to spit/rub a hole the excess flow will trip
System is only 0.4psi

Fuel system on vehicle 20K

Using propane is safer than running vehicle.

YES there are more than one way to look at things.
With knowledge and without knowledge.

Understanding how systems work and safe guards built in provides knowledge one can then use to make a choice.

I only post to try and provide information not argue about some one's choice.

I choose to use propane and keep my food cold.

Life is a risk. Try crossing the street....yet we do it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is always on propane when travelling. Same as our last three trailers.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31