cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper licensing for heavier 5th-wheel trailers

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad

Just took my Pennsylvania Non-commercial Class A test this week. Technically all it would have cost me was the $5 for the permit. After passing I had the option of an additional paper in my wallet for the next 3 years until my current license expired (free) or $46 to get the new class on a new plastic license with my photo. 

The test consisted of a walk around inspection, a straight line backing test and a drive around the area including Interstate for a few miles, wider surface streets and even a pass through a neighborhood. 

The instructor mentioned that getting the proper license at this time was a good idea. From what he was told, if you get pulled over for any infraction and do not have the proper license, you will be fined and somebody else with the proper license will need to come get your unit. Or they will tow it. 

I can't say I agree with the parameters they have set up as to when you need a Class A license. With my old trailer and a 2500 series truck I was under 26K and didn't need the Class A. I bought a 3500 series truck and that put me over 26k. So basically by getting a more capable truck with better brakes, I need a different license. Makes no sense at all. But I guess they need to draw a line somewhere. It would make more sense to choose a trailer length than weight.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
3 REPLIES 3

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

we have kind of the same thing here but it is just a heavy tow endorsment that gets added to your licence and it only matteres on the GVW of the trailer,  it has to be over the 10400lbs

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

WE3ZS
Explorer II
Explorer II

Actually in PA any trailer over 10K GVW requires the non commercial class A license upgrade, it’s fairly rare to find RV owners that comply with this from what I have seen and read. 

Here is the actual PA wording.

Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

Trailer weight can be over 10,000  as long as the combination doesn't go over 26,000. 

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500