cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a 5th wheel with an F350 2 door

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
Would there be any problems towing a 30' 5th wheel with an F350 2 door SRW with a 6.4 diesel?
I may have someone that might take my Lifted F350 dually off my hands.
It would cost too much to bring it down to a respectable height, plus there are too many things wrong with it.
I mistakenly bought it on an impulse.
I found a plane jane 2009 F350 2 door, SRW, no rear slider window, AC, Cruise, tilt AM/FM CD with 186,000 miles on it. The dealership finances there.
It will be a higher interest, but due to medical bills, my credit is trashed.
Would this truck be ok?
I would miss having a Crew Cab Dually, but I don't need a crew cab, and a lot of people on this sight told me a SRW would be ok.
11 REPLIES 11

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
At one time 99 percent of all pickups were two door long bed and short bed. We did fine pulling GN and 5th wheel trailers.
Most folks didn't have issues with the 6.4 engine.....but many did. I'm not brand loyal and made a living using mostly Ford and GM trucks and a couple of Dodge trucks but I would pass on a Ford truck with the 6.0/6.4 engines.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Imho... you would be trading one problem for another. Bill from Powerstroke Help tells people to avoid the 6.4 psd.

I would keep what you have, spend a few$$ to fix it... lower it down and fix it.

As far as the Regular cab truck. I would not be worried about towing with a regular cab. People used regular cabs for decades to pull campers.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
go the travel trailer route and save yourself the potential headache.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
6.4 wasn't one of their better engines. I wouldn't buy it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Mickey G wrote:
...6.4 diesel...186,000 miles on it. The dealership finances there...my credit is trashed.

I would not do this!

You do not need a fifth wheel trailer bad enough to do this. You've got a truck that will pull a regular trailer. Reconsider your priorities.

X3!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Mickey G wrote:
...6.4 diesel...186,000 miles on it. The dealership finances there...my credit is trashed.

I would not do this!

You do not need a fifth wheel trailer bad enough to do this. You've got a truck that will pull a regular trailer. Reconsider your priorities.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
"It will be a higher interest, but due to medical bills, my credit is trashed" and you want to buy a 6.4???? Sounds like you want to jump off a high cliff into a sea of financial ruin.

Time to rehab your financial record before buying another toy.

Now done with fatherly advice, and back to regular programming.

We pulled a 29' Cardinal for over 10 years with 2001.5 RAM Std cab 4x4, and it was well matched to the 12,400 trailer, after spending a lot of money on custom tranny, exhaust brake, larger injectors, chip, turbo, exhaust, gauges and on and on.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
6.4 diesel? Run...dont walk Run.

Away that is
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that I would be weary is that it is a 6.4. There were lots of issues with those. I had one, it pulled like a champ, made pulling in the Rockies a dream. But the pollution junk on it, known problem of the High Pressure Fuel Pump and other issues, I traded up to at least an 11 to get away from clogged oil cooler and higher than normal Coolant Temps. I have been a Ford guy for years and I have to say the 6.4 is a pulling beast but the problems that the Navistar Diesels had in the later years would make me look 3 or 4 times, especially with that many miles. I would imagine it is a deleted truck meaning the pollution junk has been disabled and a straight pipe put in place. Just thinking out loud here.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
There are numbers on both the truck and the trailer that you should read. I know you are asking us to speculate, but thatโ€™s the best youโ€™ll get unless you actually have the numbers.
'16 Chaparral 360IBL & '16 Ram 2500 Cummins

greende
Explorer
Explorer
What 5th wheel do you have? What does the door sticker say on the truck you are looking at regarding the payload? On the surface, that 350 SRW should be able to handle a 30 foot 5er with regard to payload. I am not a Ford person, so I cannot comment on any inherent problems with the 6.4.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72