cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a 5th wheel

DickBlin
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 4 x 4 flat bed truck to pull a 5th wheel.
Any one doing that with a flat bed?
Dick
20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
You will find some "surprised" CA guys on various (p/up) truck forumswith flat beds and/or utility bodies who suddenly became fair game at the scales.
I drove an F450 flat bed for 10 years past more scales than I can count. Never hassled. And that's nothing compared to what I pass them with now!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
Shepherd wrote:
I don't know old beek. To each it's own. I use my pickup bed to hual fire wood, gravel and so many other things. The bed rails keep everything in check.:C
I built 4 ft sides and back to do heavy hauling of bulk material as you described. Actually the flat bed was built to haul beehives commercially and to pull honey supers off. Installed the 5r hitch to use the same truck for recreation and a place to live when away from home with the bees. Worked out as a great income tax hedge.

"oldbeek" - this is *off topic*, as the OP is *not* in CA.

Again - this is only CA info - which applies to CA licensed vehicles!

You will find some "surprised" CA guys on various (p/up) truck forums with flat beds or utility bodies who have become fair game at scales.
One guy said he was going to change back to his factory pickup bed.

CHP (officer) quote:
"ALL flatbed trucks in CA must stop at ALL CHP weigh stations, regardless of size or weight."

Reference: - CA - "Who Must Stop at Scales"

On that site, scroll down to bold print:
"Do These Vehicles Have To Stop At The Scales?"

Go to the last sentence in the "Discussion" paragraph -
"If the pickup has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs or more, or the pickup bed has been removed and a utility body or flat bed mounted, then it no longer meets the definition of pickup in CVC section 471; it is then a "motor truck" under CVC sec 410 and required to stop at scales."

You will then need to meet your weight rating for the load (if you are carrying one) on the bed.
If over, you will be fined like any other commercial hauler..:W

~

Alannyiri
Explorer
Explorer
We're doing something similar to pull our new Redwood 42 footer. Ordering a dual wheel, crew cab (no rear seats for extra storage) chassis cab Ram 3500 TODAY, Yay. Going to put a Knapheide Westerner bed on it for additional locked storage and no rail issues. The low profile toolboxes will end up at 51" - the Redwood sits at 58". The bed will sit at 39" so we'll select the hitch last, choosing the one which best fits. There are low-profile hitches out there from Reese, Pullrite, even B&W. As new full timers, we want as much storage as possible. See ya out there!
Angele & Alan & the Four MusKateers
Redwood 38GK (42 ft)
Ram 3500 Crew Cab, Dually chassis cab: Knapheide Westerner body
Will start full timing 2015

hydehunter1
Explorer
Explorer
when using a goose neck make sure you check with your trailer mfg to make sure you can do it.I understand that the pin box is a little different for the goose neck.
2000 SD 2002 Keystone 299rlss boat-atv 7 years to fulltiming and counting down

Hazema
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow with a dodge 3500 with the 11 foot bed. I did it so I could put the motorcycle behind the cab and still have room for the 5th wheel. I had the hitch rails put on and had whatever the things are called that hold the hitch up custom made to the right height. The bed had tool boxes underneath and 6 inch rails around it. I miss having that bed now.
2014 Dodge 3500 Cummins
Jayco Eagle 331 RETS

dennisncherry
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the flatbeds come with a sliding trap door in the bed and I switched to a gooseneck ball which sits on the frame. The gooseneck hitch is safe. Go drive around a farm or ranch and you will see that ranchers and farmers use goosenecks to haul their cattle and horses. The reason I switched to the gooseneck was because my 20 ft gooseneck trailer hauls firewood and I con't need to to have two types of hitches. I haul 16-18K of firewood and my fifth wheel weighs in at about 15K loaded. Been hauling it around for 12 years now w/o a problem
97 F250 Powerstroke Diesel John Wood towmaster tranny 1998 Prowler 34 5Y Toy Poodle "Jasmine"

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Shepherd wrote:
I don't know old beek. To each it's own. I use my pickup bed to hual fire wood, gravel and so many other things. The bed rails keep everything in check.:C
I built 4 ft sides and back to do heavy hauling of bulk material as you described. Actually the flat bed was built to haul beehives commercially and to pull honey supers off. Installed the 5r hitch to use the same truck for recreation and a place to live when away from home with the bees. Worked out as a great income tax hedge.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The higher bed height is not likely to be a problem.

There are adjustments for the hitch and pin box. Usually people are trying to get the front of the 5er higher to avoid the bed rails. With no bed rails, you can adjust the hitch and pin box to get a level ride.

It you don't carry stuff in the bed, it's a far better option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DickBlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input, really helpful

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
I had a flat bed in California. Get a 84 or 90 inch wide bed. 96 inch wide is a "truck" 90 inch is not. My standard rails bolted down from the top of the flat bed into custom nut plates for easy removal. Flat bed is an excellent way to get clearance for a tall 4x4. Storage? Have tool boxes built under the bed. You will never want a pick-up again.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

hawkman541
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at my profile. We pull a Heartland Landmark with a F-450 with a flat bed from Goff. Works out great for us, since we just tie down everything and go. The bed is higher, and you have to adjust your pin height. Pulls great and I have my aux fuel tank and generator on the back. Good luck
2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
we went from a 1 ton older first gen dodge diesel to a MDT freightliner with a western hauler bed ( envision flat bed with 4 inch rails on the sides ) the only draw back is keeping lose stuff in the bed area, what you once could just throw in the bed of the truck, now has to be tied down, so much for putting your grocery's in the bed
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Morning,

Was considering changing to a flat bed on our old truck to carry a scooter. While investigating found out that the actual flat bed that replaces the standard bed was 2 1/2 inches higher than the standard bed due to the rails that the bed sits on, which would have made my rig ride to high..

Something to keep in mind.

That'll be your biggest problem. You'll have to cut some holes in the flat bed to mount the hitch, and then have to get the whole rig level. If the bed is higher, you'd better have a hitch and trailer that has enough 'adjustability'.

Most problems facing an owner trying to get his fifth wheel rig to ride level are centered around maintaining clearance above the pickup's side rails. With a flat bed, (i.e., no side rails), there are a lot more options