cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pullrite 4400

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just bought a Montana fifth wheel and the dealer made me a great buy on a Pullrite 4400 hitch. He said someone ordered it and never came back to get it so he cut the price by $800.00.

I started during research on the pros and cons of the hitch and talked with someone who owned one. The biggest problem I have come across is hooking up at an angle. There is ten degrees angle that is the maximum you can be in order to get properly hitched, outside of ten degrees the hitch won't lock.

Anyone out there that has a Pullrite hitch? If so what do you think of the product?
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
31 REPLIES 31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Got home and cannot get the hitch to release the pin on the camper. Have tried may different positions of the pin box resting on the hitch from all the weight testing in the hitch to very little weight resting on the hitch. Truck and camper are in line with each other, no reason for it to act this way.
I leave some of the weight on the hitch. Pullrite does not like to be high hitched.

This issue for me is resolved by moving the truck slightly forward or back to relieve the tension. In an extreme case I have had DW move the truck super slow while I pull the lever.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was not having success unhooking the camper from the truck the camper and truck was on a down hill incline. This morning I moved the unit to the driveway where it is level. Raised the pin box just high enough that I could tell it was not touching the hitch plate, put the truck in neutral and let it roll away from the camper and settle, put the truck in park walked back and pull the lever to release the pin from the hitch and it unlocked and released the pin. So I guess I will always have to find a campsite that is level and straight to be able to unhook and hook back up.

Anyway the truck is free from the camper so I can now look forward to the next episode. Thanks for all the help.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjxj wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Well got hooked up at Camping World in Spartanburg, South Carolina, drove the 32 miles home and love the way the Pullrite handled the road and camper. Got home and cannot get the hitch to release the pin on the camper. Have tried nay different positions of the pin box resting on the hitch from all the weight testing in the hitch to very little weight resting on the hitch. Truck and camper are in line with each other, no reason for it to act this way.

Be sure the rigs wheels are chocked etc. Raise the rig to the point that you just start to see a gap at the plate. Then put the truck into neutral to release any tension on the pin.

That worked, thanks

Wife Sue

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite Superglide. Make sure the pressure is off the pin before pulling the handle to release pin. I raise my fifth wheel and watch as my truck comes up as the springs decompress and the sag goes away. Once the truck stops rising with the trailer, I know all pressure is off and I can pull the handle to release the pin.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Well got hooked up at Camping World in Spartanburg, South Carolina, drove the 32 miles home and love the way the Pullrite handled the road and camper. Got home and cannot get the hitch to release the pin on the camper. Have tried nay different positions of the pin box resting on the hitch from all the weight testing in the hitch to very little weight resting on the hitch. Truck and camper are in line with each other, no reason for it to act this way.

Be sure the rigs wheels are chocked etc. Raise the rig to the point that you just start to see a gap at the plate. Then put the truck into neutral to release any tension on the pin.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well got hooked up at Camping World in Spartanburg, South Carolina, drove the 32 miles home and love the way the Pullrite handled the road and camper. Got home and cannot get the hitch to release the pin on the camper. Have tried may different positions of the pin box resting on the hitch from all the weight testing in the hitch to very little weight resting on the hitch. Truck and camper are in line with each other, no reason for it to act this way.

Wife Sue

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Today I made the decision to buy the Pullrite model 4400 Superglide hitch. I hope I have made a good decision. Camping World ordered the hitch for a customer who never came to pick it up or have it installed. I got it a huge discount so I am pleased with the price. Having it installed tomorrow and picking up the truck with a Montana 5th wheel hooked to the new truck Thursday. Got a great buy on a two year old Montana that looks like new.

You will do fine with it. When you get it set up do some tight turns to check cab clearances and rail clearance. My 2900 has optional foot riser brackets for more or less lift.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today I made the decision to buy the Pullrite model 4400 Superglide hitch. I hope I have made a good decision. Camping World ordered the hitch for a customer who never came to pick it up or have it installed. I got it a huge discount so I am pleased with the price. Having it installed tomorrow and picking up the truck with a Montana 5th wheel hooked to the new truck Thursday. Got a great buy on a two year old Montana that looks like new.

Wife Sue

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This will be the 14th year on my 16K Super Glide.

The 16 degree hook unhook has never been an issue.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
It took us a few tries to get good at hitching. A few times we had to lift the head.
As to the warranty, after a malfunction, operator error, the service was excellent. They shipped replacement parts within a few days and I got a follow up call to ensure we did not needed anything else.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My model is a 2900 but it's the same concept and you do need to be pretty straight to the rig, as mentioned 6 degrees or so. As the angle changes the follower bearing starts to move down the track and move the head to the rear. To park my rig in it's current spot I needed to be at a pretty sharp angle so I positioned the rig and removed the two saddle pins on each side of the head and left the handle and head attached to the pin. If you look at your hitch you will see that there are horizontal pins on each side of the head which drop down into saddles with about 3/8 inch pins pointing front to rear which keep the head from lifting out of the saddles.

It wouldn't be my usual method of parking but it works. You could have the hitch slid all the way back and at a very steep angle and pull the truck away. Just lift the FW high enough to clear and drive out. Reverse the order to hitch up. I also fabricated a lock for my handle. Pulling the lever would drop the head and smash something like your foot. I wouldn't run without a locked handle and I drilled out the 2 saddle pins and installed small locks on them.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Mine says 16 degrees. Look up the manual for that hitch on Pullrite's site and go by what it tells you. Not what the internet know it all's say.

I have no problems with mine. Two things to keep in mind are the hook-up and un-hook angle. Not that tough. And the fact that if you try to turn past 90 degrees you will damage something. Personally if you are turning that hard you are already in trouble.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

brianpearce
Explorer
Explorer
I had a PullRite Superglide with my previous shortbed truck. Once in a while I had an issue with hitching/unhitching angles and the solution was to disconnect the hitch head from the base of the hitch and raise the fiver with head still connected to the fiver. If I could not line up to hitch, connect head to fiver, back truck and base into position to lower hitch head onto base. Kind of a pain, but the hitch was great otherwise so I put up with that shortcoming. I now have a longbed truck and am loving my Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch, never a worry about angles, high hitching, etc. And its less than 50lbs.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have that particular model but the limitation doesn't make much difference for me at this point. If I hitch up at any greater angle my tailgate will punch a hole in the front of my 5th. Been there done that.

I kinda wish I would have gotten a different hitch and mounted it behind the axle to give me more room between tailgate and rig with tailgate down as there is only approx 3-4 inches with the pin center a inch ahead of the truck axle when strait. How much more angle could I hook up at if the hitch was 4" behind the axle? The plus is I never need to worry about hitting the cab.

I could get a v tailgate but I like the ability to use my trifold cover and lock the tailgate when unhooked.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.