cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing an extended warranty from the dealership?

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 5ver from a dealership and they are trying to sell us an extended warranty on the unit. This 5ver is a year old. However, the warranty is going to cost over $1,000. The dealership is going to go through the unit with hubby to address any issues with this unit. He is mechanically savvy and has worked on our other 5ver and TT previously...just needed to buy parts and did the installation himself. Doe anyone think that these warranties are worth the bucks?
From the Adirondacks
Him-USAF, Ret. & Her-Landscape Photographer
Cougar by Keystone 5th Wheel
Silverado 2500 Diesel
28 REPLIES 28

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We bought an extended warranty on our 5'er we bought new last year. They wanted over $3000 but settled on $1300 for a 10yr $100 deductible. Made our first claim last month for some minor issues that saved us $400. No hassles getting approval for a local RV shop to do the work. Our policy is thru XtraRide. Check for decent reviews for the company you're looking into.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Speaking in 'general terms'; those that have bought the extended warrenty and never needed it feel it is a waste of $$. Those that bought the extended warrenty and it paid for itself (and more) swear by it. Only you know your financial status and the degree of risk you wish to take.

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify...Presently, we are just taking vacations in the 5ver and is a Keystone.

I went back to the email and paid more attention to the amount and it was more like $1,800...OUCH!

We did get an extra warranty on our diesel, cause with a diesel, when it breaks down, it is $$$$ for labor. The days of a shade tree mechanic is just about gone due to all the computer technology.

Years ago (maybe things we built better back then) we owned a Mallard 5th and put lots of mileage towing it throughout the national parks in the west and up the west coast and no major repairs. Perhaps we were lucky.
From the Adirondacks
Silverado 2500 Diesel

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranties are like insurance, you take a gamble.

Don't know what make/model you are purchasing. Don't know if you are full time folks or part time or what. There are a lot of factors that could go into the decision for an extended warranty.

We full time and tow our unit between 4,000 and 8,000 miles a year. I have heard some of the prices for replacing holding tanks, repairing suspension systems, or replacing a double door Dometic refrigerator. This was our first extended warranty on an RV.

Same thought process went into an extended warranty on my truck. Always thought they were a rip off on new vehicles. 80% of the miles on my truck are pulling the fiver. I feel I am maxing my truck out and putting tons of wear and tear on it. It is a gamble but I wanted complete protection through 125,000 miles/7 years.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put the money in the rv acc, pay your husband when he,fix,s things,

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
2nd, get a price from wholesalewarranties.com

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the money and put in a rv repair account.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Get a price from wholesalewarranties.com before committing to anything. If you want one.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good read regarding extended warranties.
http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-extended-warranties.html

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One problem I have with such warranties is who is going to do the work when needed? Is it the dealer? What if you are not in town? Or is it someone else? Will that someone else be in business when you need the help?
I'd avoid the warranty UNLESS you can get your money back at the end of some time period if not used.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if just over $1,000 it is a lot cheaper than most where you can get 50% off. what are the exclusions and what does it cover. if the refrigerator or generator go bad, it will pay for itself.
bumpy

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Their profit margin is very high to push these warrantys, that's why they try as hard as they can....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Jandsa
Explorer
Explorer
Good point,fla-gypsy.....As I noted before, hubby is mechanically savvy and there isn't much on the unit he couldn't do himself with the right parts. We already told them once when we were there for the initial paperwork that it was NO. It seems to be a hard sell to me, which is making me suspicious.
From the Adirondacks
Silverado 2500 Diesel

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ask yourself this question; If the dealer and the 3rd party insurer are going to make money off of you (and they are going to make money off of you) how many things do you really think they will cover and not wiggle out of during the length of the contract?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)