cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing / Upgrade To A Fifth-Wheel

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie Rver :C here! After many years of saying "NO" my "financial adviser" has said "yes" we can upgrade! We have a small 26' Class A and my thoughts (strong thoughts) are to get fifth-wheel. My thinking is get something with more living area, wont need a tow-able, no more engine maintenance, cheaper insurance, and bigger man-cave when parked in backyard.

I want a fifth-wheel that's well insulated, sturdy, and going to last inside and out. I want my first fifth-wheel to be my last. I'm thinking that an F250 will do the job of pulling it.

What are your suggestions/recommendations?
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
14 REPLIES 14

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the 1 ton truck, but before you decide on which truck figure out the 5th wheel you want and then get the truck that will be appropriate. Don't decide on the truck first.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the others on getting a one-ton truck. When looking at fivers in addition to the floor plan you like make sure you get a rig that has a good solid frame, suspension system and quality hitch. An air hitch or pin sure will save a lot of wear and tear.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Traildust wrote:
I agree with others here, go with a 350/3500 truck you won't be disappointed. You may want to take a look at Northwood 5th wheels. They build the Arctic Fox and are very well built.
Bill

X2 On the Artic Fox!

X10 on be looking at a 3500/350 as a TV, although the difference between a 2500/250 is more the Class 2 GVWR of 10,000#, it is nice to tow within all your numbers not just most of them! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others here, go with a 350/3500 truck you won't be disappointed. You may want to take a look at Northwood 5th wheels. They build the Arctic Fox and are very well built.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
my thoughts are you must really be bored

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at the Fifth Wheels on this site.

These are exceptionally well made in Canada, but the last year of manufacture was 2009. It will certainly give you a general idea of what size and features you might like in a "final" fifth wheel.

Triple E Topaz Fifth Wheels and Trailers
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
I agree F-350. If nothing else to make sure you have the capacity to tow a larger 5'er than what you expected to get lol. When we were "looking" just to kill a Saturday afternoon, my wife spotted a Montana she liked... an hour later we were signing papers, The F-30 pulls it with no problems Good luck in your search..
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhardin wrote:
Take a serious look at getting a F-350. It doesn't cost much more and you'll be glad to have the extra capacity you'll wish for if you go with the F-250.

Why would he only get only a 350 when there are a couple 3500's available in the market? :B :B :B
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1st 5th wheel to be last 5th wheel and you are thinking 250 :H

Purchase 350/3500.

As to which 5th wheel.

A floorplan that works for YOU/Financial Advisor

(one tip:.....see how usable it is with slides retracted. All are great when they are extended BUT can you use the major components if slides are in ???)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Take a serious look at getting a F-350. It doesn't cost much more and you'll be glad to have the extra capacity you'll wish for if you go with the F-250.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give a lot of thought to truck choice. 3500 is much better choice for any fiver over anout 30 feet long.
As for brands? Arctic Fox from Northwood Mfg is a good option. As would be from its sister company Outdoor MFG.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on how big of a 5th wheel you want to get. We tow a 28' 9000lb 5er with our 12 Ram 2500 CTD. I'm over my GVWR by 200lbs. Under the RAWR by 1100lbs and well under the tow and GCVWR. It tows it like it's not there.
The pin is around 1800lbs.

For our current type of use it's perfect. We never go any longer than 2 weeks at a time. If I were to go for longer I would want bigger. Or at least more closet space. If I were to be out longer under less than favorable conditions I would want something with more room. We also like forest service camping better than the RV park style. We are able to get into more spots having a shorter 5er.

JMO but if I were to do it again and had no truck or trailer I would look at the 5th wheel 1st and would get the biggest I could afford that would work for the type of use I want. Then I would match the truck to it.
Chance are that you'll probably need a 1 ton SRW at a minimum.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I won't even begin to recommend what trailer might work for you...way too many individual variables.

But, I do recommend that you consider a 350/3500 instead of what you are thinking now....especially for any larger 5th wheel.
Good luck with your search and choice.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rookie_rv wrote:
Rookie Rver :C here! After many years of saying "NO" my "financial adviser" has said "yes" we can upgrade! We have a small 26' Class A and my thoughts (strong thoughts) are to get fifth-wheel. My thinking is get something with more living area, wont need a tow-able, no more engine maintenance, cheaper insurance, and bigger man-cave when parked in backyard.

I want a fifth-wheel that's well insulated, sturdy, and going to last inside and out. I want my first fifth-wheel to be my last. I'm thinking that an F250 will do the job of pulling it.

What are your suggestions/recommendations?

See my response to another post just a few minutes ago: http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29090924.cfm.

Biggest issue you'll face is PAYLOAD on a 250/2500 class truck, especially if it's an older truck, like mine ('02). My 11.3k GVW FW sets me squarely on the overloads and, when I'm running heavy, probably puts me over my "legal" weights by a bit. If you're looking at newer trucks, their payloads are much better, though it's still something you need to be very aware of when trailer shopping. Usual rule-of-thumb is to settle on a particular FW, =then= go truck shopping. Also, don't forget that you =can= get single rear wheel 350/3500 trucks, and usually for not a lot more than a 3/4T. Certainly gives you a =lot= more options for a FW, that's for sure. Wish I'd known that a long time ago...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member