cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality small 5th wheel for disaster assistance

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I am beginning to look for either a small 5th wheel or travel trailer. I have a truck camper which I intend to keep for the traveling we do. However, when I go to places around the country helping to feed folks after natural disasters, I can not use my truck to get food out into the areas I need to plus my bride is going with me more.
Our needs are small,dry bath,nice size fridge,A/C,
I have a 3500 Dodge Mega cab CDI.
Thanks
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"
12 REPLIES 12

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
TCINTN wrote:
I am beginning to look for either a small 5th wheel or travel trailer. I have a truck camper which I intend to keep for the traveling we do. However, when I go to places around the country helping to feed folks after natural disasters, I can not use my truck to get food out into the areas I need to plus my bride is going with me more.
Thanks

If you plan on carrying supplies with you, consider a toy hauler. They usually have a much higher CCC, so carrying cases of food/water would be a breeze. Also, many have built-in fuel stations so you'd have gas for your genny (you =do= plan on having one, right? 🙂 ).

Lyle

We already have a toy hauler which is towed and used by our leader.It has had the back end converted into a place to cook and prepare meals. Most of our meals are the sandwich type. We have put a freezer,four convection ovens,warming tower, three tables and then overhead storage. When we get to a location we usually make arrangements with someone like Sysco or we go to the nearest Sam and buy our supplies. We can turn out up to 2000 meals per day if we can get some local volunteers help us put things together.
When I go with my truck and truck camper I usually can not use the truck. I also do not like to take camper off because I have to go empty tanks and we might move to another location. Having a fifth wheel hitch in back is no problem because when we go out to the areas to hand out meals I usually can carry in back and in bed.
The other reason for wanting either a TT or FW is we are staying longer sometimes. Plus with the five locations we did lately it would have been nicer for my bride. And being 74 I do not have that much longer to do this.Maybe 10 or 12 years.
Thanks
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TCINTN wrote:
Thanks

If you plan on carrying supplies with you, consider a toy hauler. They usually have a much higher CCC, so carrying cases of food/water would be a breeze. Also, many have built-in fuel stations so you'd have gas for your genny (you =do= plan on having one, right? 🙂 ).

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I also do disaster recovery work occasionally, but not regularly since we still have kids in school. There are several things to consider in this:

1. Is it always going to be you and your spouse or will other people be going with you (need for extra sleeping space)
2. Will you always have power, or will a generator be needed.
3. Will you always have water or will you have to fill your water tank and utilize that for several days?
4. Will you want to have AC since many disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.) occur in the south?
5. Are you willing to lose space in the back of your pickup for the hitch?
6. Will you have a place to dump black and gray water? or will you need larger tanks to hold more?
7. Will you need a storage place for your tools? food for a few weeks?

If you can answer these questions, it will make deciding on a TT/5'er easier.

To even add more questions for you, how about a toy hauler? They offer a nice sleeping space for two, a smaller kitchen/living than many other TTs or 5'ers, but you get lots of space in the back for extra sleeping, if needed. You get more storage space in the back for tools and supplies, if needed and you will still have YOUR privacy. Just a thought.

Thank you for giving to communities that need a little extra help.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

DynoDragn
Explorer
Explorer
I would look more into the cargo style with living quarters as you can customize the trailer to fit your needs. I went this route with my business trailer. I could boondock for a long time in that and it had a 21k GVWR with triple 7k axles.
Plus these trailers hold their value better than an RV. I had mine two years and sold it for what I paid new.
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7
2015 XLR Nitro
2012 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch 6.7
2013 Landmark San Antonio

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me like OP is looking for a portable base camp to live in while using his truck to help shuttle supplies. Without knowing budget or length I would look at a used Arctic Fox which should have large holding tanks and a generous cargo capacity to carry the OP's personal living stuff to the disaster area.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
How much food are you planning to haul and where do you plan to put it when hauling?

A couple thousand pounds of food and water could be problematic depending on where you plan to carry it.

The portable generator is a good idea as power outages in a disaster area are likely a high probability. You might also consider a fuel station in the bed of the truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
OP what do you consider small? <20' <25' or <30'? There are lots of options but a little more info might help people respond.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmbelt wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Have you considered how much space a 5th wheel hitch in the back of your truck is going to take up?

Curious what that has to do with the OP's question.

OP stated either fifth wheel or trailer, so I can see it is a valid point.

To OP, for disaster areas, I would add a generator to your list of wants for the trailer. Then you have to decide between small unit or one big enough to power the A/C. We spend at least 3 weeks at a single job and have a 33' fifth wheel. Always have power, so don't need a gen.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Have you considered how much space a 5th wheel hitch in the back of your truck is going to take up?

Curious what that has to do with the OP's question.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Quality small 5th wheel for disaster assistance

Hmmmm....... quality is subjective from person to person and small to some folks may mean a 18' or a 32' trailer.
http://www.allencampermfg.com/5th-Wheel-Floor-Plans.html
Check out this small rv mfg. Bought our first truck camper from them in '72.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021