cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Real 5th Wheel lengths? Need 31'

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys. My wife and I are interested in making the switch to a 5th wheel and I'm going crazy with the advertised versus actual lengths.
I like to keep it under cover and the spot in the shop is only 31' deep. We've been to multiple RV shows. dealerships and walked RV parks and most seem to be longer than our desires.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a 5th wheel in the length we're "stuck" with?

Looking for something with at least 1 and preferrably 2 slides. I have a 1 ton crew cab dually so I should be able to tow the size we're looking for.

Thanks very much........john
23 REPLIES 23

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jrork wrote:
Wow, thanks so much guys. I never knew that the measurements were the inside measurements and am glad to see that we're not the only ones that have struggled with what the model numbers meant.

Due to the layout of the shop and surrounding structures, we can't do much modifying of the shop or add additional options so we're pretty stuck with what we have. We used to have a longish Jayco tongue pull trailer (31' and total 34')in there but were hoping we could come in under that due to overhang.

We'll for sure keep a tape measure with us as we progress. Thanks again

When you go to dealers, take a plumb bob, marker and tape measure. Do a drop from the extreme front of the pin box and the extreme rear (bumper, ladder or spare tire) and measure it. A lot of FWs are measured with a standard pin box; extended boxes can add 1-1.5' of OAL.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Our Northwood AF M27-5L measures 29' 6" in the 2014 build. Good luck in your search.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We were in a similar situation when we were shopping for a new 5er. We did ok on length, but the height cost us $2500 for a door modification. Design changes in air condition units have more of the air conditioner above the roof line. Plus any grade change outside the door can impact the height. For example if the truck wheels are in a lower elevation relative to the garage floor, that tends to raise the rear of the coach up a little. Not much, but we only clear by 1/2".
Second air conditioners are higher also.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks so much guys. I never knew that the measurements were the inside measurements and am glad to see that we're not the only ones that have struggled with what the model numbers meant.

Due to the layout of the shop and surrounding structures, we can't do much modifying of the shop or add additional options so we're pretty stuck with what we have. We used to have a longish Jayco tongue pull trailer (31' and total 34')in there but were hoping we could come in under that due to overhang.

We'll for sure keep a tape measure with us as we progress. Thanks again

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what your layout is but seems to me an 8X12x12 bump on the storage building wouldn't be a very costly thing and your options would be limitless. And like others have said, you have plenty of truck to handle most anything if it's a newer model.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

dballentine
Explorer
Explorer
PaulD1 wrote:
Here's a Traler Life review of the Grand Design 27RL

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/reflection-27rl/

Says its 30'11" looks like a pretty nice rig considering the same and weight.

PaulD

The 29RS from G.D. is the same length. Since your garage is 31', I'd say measure very carefully.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ D/A CC LB SRW Z71
Amateur Radio KQ3T, licensed since 1965

PaulD1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a Traler Life review of the Grand Design 27RL

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/reflection-27rl/

Says its 30'11" looks like a pretty nice rig considering the same and weight.

PaulD

TT_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Our Columbus 295RL is right at 29 1/2 feet from front closet to rear wall. Exterior front nose to rear bumper is 35' 7"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally assume that the number in the model designation is the INSIDE length front cap wall to rear wall. For actual LOA add at least a foot, 2 feet if it has an extended pinbox & a ladder.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
We've been shopping for that last couple of years for a new fiver at or under 32 feet. Anything we've seen with a model # of 30.... will be over 32 feet in actual real world tape rule measuring. Forest River, Keystone and Jayco make a smaller fiver that will come in under 32 feet from what we've seen at shows and dealers lot. Many of the fiver manufacturers out there actually start at 32-33 feet and quickly go to 45'. To be honest, there's not a big selection in the under 32'. However you only need to find just one that you like. As others have said you need to do the actual measuring yourself and not rely on model numbers or even what's in a sales brochure.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
FYI A lot of times the numbers, like in my case a 385RLS, stand for square feet of interior space. Not length of trailer. Take a tape measure along.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to know actual "garage" length of a 5th wheel is to bring a tape measure and measure the unit.
Two years ago when we were looking to replace our 12 year old 5er we wanted to stay at 33' or less. We looked at a Big Country 3250TS that was listed at 33'2" on the Heartland web site, when we saw one in person and actually measured it from the rear cap to the kingpin it was 34'9". The Crossroads Cruiser 305SK that we bought was listed at 32'11" and actually measures 33'3".
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Rather then restricting yourself to a certain size trailer could you possibly add a porch extension to the shop. With a ton truck you could go quite a bit longer if you wished. That would open up many more 5th wheels to you.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Model numbers vary all over the place. Northwoods (Arctic Fox, Nash, etc) used to make a 26-5C that was actually longer then the 27-5L they made.

Their current 27-5L has a different length then the one they made 5 years ago, which was different then the one they made 10 years ago....

Specs sheets or measure
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.