cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for New 5th Wheel

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for a new 5th wheel and would like some recommendations. We currently have a 2008 Cougar 314BHS (bunkhouse) and are ready to move away from the bunkhouse stage... We do have two kids, but believe they will be OK sleeping on couches, etc.

We would like to have lots more room in the living room, have a large TV acrosss from a couch/relciner setup, have a seperate room for the bath/shower, and have a larger bedroom with a slide. We will use the trailer year round from near zero temps up to 110 degrees in the summer.

We enjoy state parks and have found our current 35' 5th wheel fits in most places... I am concerned about the ability to fit the larger 5th wheels into these types of places.

Features we want:
-auto level
-good insulation
-well sealed (to keep mice/insects out)
-TV across from recliners/couch
-prefer a residential electric fridge
-as close to 35' as possible
-dual pane windows
-dual air conditioners

5th Wheels we are considering:
-Grand Design Solitude 320X
-Grand Design Solitude 369RL
-Open Range 3X378RL
-Montana 3791RD
-Montana High Country 353RL
-Heartland???

I have a 2011 F-350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 6.7L Diesel truck. I will not be replacing the truck, so I need to stay within it's limits.

My wife really likes the Solitude 369RL and that is where we are leaning... Just wanting to make sure we are not overlooking something obvious. There is a dealer close to us as well.
34 REPLIES 34

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have a 2015 F350 6.7 PSD CCSB SRW on order, I would tell my DW that the Solitude 320X meets the requirements in length for SP camping and weight for the truck and everything else is too big. Of course the DW would shoot back with why didn't I order a dually. While I am thinking "so we wouldn't have to get the biggest fiver you see," I would tell her that we couldn't afford the hit in fuel mileage. Then we would get the 320X because that is all we could haul with our truck.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
scotjima wrote:
We have looked at a number of front living designs and have ruled most of them out becuase they are either too long (42+ feet) or too much pin weight. Also, most that we have seen really comprimise on the kitchen space.

We do like the Montana 3791RD, but it is a bit heavier (hitch weight) and longer than we wanted. I do plan to go look at one of these though. I don't like the rear step up for the den. I think I'd rather have a flat floor and skip the rear outside storage?

We have went in the rear den model (3791) twice and looked at it. I think Keystone will end up selling tons of this new Montana floor plan. Problem is the pin weight and overall weight. I am pushing the limits on my TV with my current Montana now, if I went with the 3791RD I would have to move up to a F350 DRW and possibly even a F450 DRW.

We looked at this model at a show. Thought it was a great layout. Thing the DW hated. Unlike shown in the floorplan, the seating in the shower is directly under the faucet, not on the opposite side of the shower as it should have been.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Man wrote:
I have owned 3 Montana's a 2003, 2006, and a 2010 I had minimal problems with any of these. I decided I want a "Pretty" 2013 Heartland Landmark Full body paint. It had more problems than the 3 Montana's or the 2 Jayco Travel Trailers before these had. I have traded it for a 2015 Montana 3611rl Legacy that just arrived at the dealer yesterday. Should pick it up late next week. Residential Refrigerator, Painted front and rear caps, G Rated Tires, Auto Leveling and everything.
You can not go wrong with a Montana! Send me a PM if you want to know anything about the Heartland. Also the Montana 3791RD is the best floor plan I have ever seen. You could not get the rear cap on it and it was too low in the rear to go into my steep driveway.

The same could be true of any brand. My Keystone built toy hauler was nothing but trouble the first year I owned it. My Heartland just went in for it's 12 month warranty work, which consisted of the range hood vent fan not working and the shower door needing adjustment. Period, end of issues after 12 months.
Just saying, any brand can have it's lemons, mixed in with all the good fruit. I'm pretty sure everyone makes pretty comparable units, it's just a matter of finding "the one".
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
scotjima wrote:
Any thoughts on the Coachman Brookstone 395RL? It says 40' 10"... wonder what the real length is? It is also heavy, so we would need to pack light. http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=55&ModelID=1536#Main

Anybody know of similar floorplans? I found a Sandpiper, but we like the layout of this one better.

Better sort out the prioritys.

What is more important, the trailer or the places you can take the trailer? You already know that a 35' trailer has its limitations on where you can take it if you like the SPs as you say. Go over 35' & your SP site options are going to rapidly decrease. Sure the private CGs can take that length but do you want to give up the SPs, & all the site separation that comes with them, for the virtual carpark camping of many full service CGs?

Regarding the Coachmen, did you look at the freshwater capacity? 63gal. How long do you think that will last when you are dry camping or at a no water site? With 2 people 63gal is good for 2-3 nights without being very careful with usage.

If future plans include real traveling like going to Alaska, using SPs, NPs, BLMs, NFSs, festivals such as the Albuquerque Balloon Festival or music festivals, a unit capable of easily supplying all of your needs for more than 3 days is a must. Dragging something huge for those long trips should be considered too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. What model Cougar did you come from? I'm curious about the differences you have noticed. Any issues with the extra length?

Gsport wrote:
I've got a 2014 Grand Design 369RL, two years old next month. Got about 10,000 miles on it. I moved up from a 36' Couger too and couldn't be happier. And talking about service, they are by far at the top of my list for any company I've ever had to do deal with. I had a couple of LED lights that weren't working and a faulty DVD player. Just last week they sent me 8 complete LED fixtures with lights and a new DVD player, all out of warranty by almost a year.
I don't think you could do wrong with any GD product..

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2014 Grand Design 369RL, two years old next month. Got about 10,000 miles on it. I moved up from a 36' Couger too and couldn't be happier. And talking about service, they are by far at the top of my list for any company I've ever had to do deal with. I had a couple of LED lights that weren't working and a faulty DVD player. Just last week they sent me 8 complete LED fixtures with lights and a new DVD player, all out of warranty by almost a year.
I don't think you could do wrong with any GD product..

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on the Coachman Brookstone 395RL? It says 40' 10"... wonder what the real length is? It is also heavy, so we would need to pack light. http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=55&ModelID=1536#Main

Anybody know of similar floorplans? I found a Sandpiper, but we like the layout of this one better.

ours
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above. Make sure you look at Cedar Creek and Silverback. I pull a 33 ft with my 250 HD Silverado.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
I like the opposing slides and curb side dinette like this one

The opposing LR slides provide a roomier LR.

X2 Ours is just about 14' side to side. Folks are amazed how much room we have for a short trailer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima wrote:
We have looked at a number of front living designs and have ruled most of them out becuase they are either too long (42+ feet) or too much pin weight. Also, most that we have seen really comprimise on the kitchen space.

We do like the Montana 3791RD, but it is a bit heavier (hitch weight) and longer than we wanted. I do plan to go look at one of these though. I don't like the rear step up for the den. I think I'd rather have a flat floor and skip the rear outside storage?

We have went in the rear den model (3791) twice and looked at it. I think Keystone will end up selling tons of this new Montana floor plan. Problem is the pin weight and overall weight. I am pushing the limits on my TV with my current Montana now, if I went with the 3791RD I would have to move up to a F350 DRW and possibly even a F450 DRW.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 Montana's a 2003, 2006, and a 2010 I had minimal problems with any of these. I decided I want a "Pretty" 2013 Heartland Landmark Full body paint. It had more problems than the 3 Montana's or the 2 Jayco Travel Trailers before these had. I have traded it for a 2015 Montana 3611rl Legacy that just arrived at the dealer yesterday. Should pick it up late next week. Residential Refrigerator, Painted front and rear caps, G Rated Tires, Auto Leveling and everything.
You can not go wrong with a Montana! Send me a PM if you want to know anything about the Heartland. Also the Montana 3791RD is the best floor plan I have ever seen. You could not get the rear cap on it and it was too low in the rear to go into my steep driveway.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Have you considered a front living room design? Very spacious living room.

X2 - these look amazing. Big TV on the front wall with L-shape sofa and regular sofa or 2 sofas and recliner leaves tons of room for people. I've yet to see on in person but from the picture it looks like you could fit a Christmas tree in the living room and not be cramped for space ๐Ÿ™‚

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS somehow I missed the entire Page 2 of this conversation. Seems the AF has already been suggested to you. We live in AR and no dealers around. We were personally familiar, through friends, with the AF's durability for the long haul. Our camper gets lots of use! We found some dealers wanted too much for the freight charges from OR so were willing to go to OR to get it and during the search found an excellent deal at Humphrey RV in Grand Junction, CO. Very competitive dealer. So we went there and then had fun traveling in CO.