cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regular vs light weight

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some input on the differences between the regular weight trailers and the light weight ones?
For instance, the Jayco HT line is light weight and the Eagle are the normal weight. Would some of the differences be in such items as a plastic toilet vs porcelain. Would the frames be similar?
I see you can get a lot of the same equipment on the light weight models so do they scrimp in the insulation?

Any info would be great.
18 REPLIES 18

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
I do believe the Jayco HT line has vapor barriers, the flooring is tongue and groove 5/8", I believe" plywood and "bonded" walls as well as 5/8" roofing material and is walk on approved. They also have the "Arctic" package which includes full enclosure of the frame of the FW. Other than there being more space to heat, I have noticed no difference in ability to keep the FW warm on chilly nights between our Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and our 1993 Jayco Eagle 215SD with no slide and only abut 23' long. And that FW lasted us for 18 years without no breakdowns or even minimal problems.

Per Jayco;

•Jayco uses 4 1/2" crowned wood trusses, solid-wood studs and oversized nail plates to maximize the roof's load capacity.
•Then, we screw down 3/8" plywood decking at every seam, a process that is more durable than typical stapled construction.
•Finally, our one-piece, sidewall-wrapped DiFlex II material provides the ultimate in leak protection.

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Iaknox
The awning issue was with the Durango 1500...
Sorry should have stipulated.. the 1500 series is the lightweight which is towable with at 1500 series truck.
Our Cougar is a full size almost 38ft long.
Both are great for towing.
regards,
GPG
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe the Jayco HT line has vapor barriers, the flooring is tongue and groove 5/8", I believe" plywood and "bonded" walls as well as 5/8" roofing material and is walk on approved. They also have the "Arctic" package which includes full enclosure of the frame of the FW. Other than there being more space to heat, I have noticed no difference in ability to keep the FW warm on chilly nights between our Jayco HT 26.5 RLS and our 1993 Jayco Eagle 215SD with no slide and only abut 23' long. And that FW lasted us for 18 years without no breakdowns or even minimal problems.
John A. Lichty

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I've always equated Lite with cheap entry level junk cuz that's been my experience. There's nothing wrong with lighter if there's some build quality there. I used to be so worried about weight and overloading my trucks so I bought the lightest RVs and they had thin floors, roofs, minimal insulation and even no vapor barriers. They were flimsy and flexible, fell apart and couldn't be heated if the wind was blowing cuz air went right thru them. Just check the construction carefully and that goes for anything you buy. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at the CCC for the HT line up you'll see that the smallest (23.5RBS) has 3730lbs for CCC. The largest (29.5 FBDS) only has 2050lbs for CCC.
Kind of back a$$wards. The smaller trailer with less storage should have the lower CCC and vice versa. But it shows that the whole line uses the same axles, suspension and tires.

Ryan_Elli1
Explorer
Explorer
The same gvwr is more than likely the axles limitations.
2014 Cougar 29RBS(Kizzy)
2015 F250 FX4 6.2
Ryan, Elli, and kids
with Holly the Mini Schnauzer

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Trailers should be aircraft not tanks. Our Teardrop is all aluminum, frame 4 by 2 and body, 1.5 X 1 X .06 tube. strong enough to stand on. It does not have to be heavy to be strong witness 70 YO DC3's still flying.
Most RV's are built with 40+YO technology because it is cheap!
One individual in South Africa built his out of three ply cardboard and chopper glassed it, again pictures of him standing on it.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Ryan*Elli wrote:
The HT used to stand for Half-Ton series. That said I looked at Jayco and the HT series largest model has two slides is 33'5" and weights 7900. The Eagle Touring Edition's largest model is 33'11" and weights 9100 but it has three slides. The difference maybe in the additional half foot and third slide. We have a Cougar X-lite model and we have the same structure as the regular Cougar. I don't believe each model line is different because of structure as much as its different due to the floor plans available.

They still will say that about the Jayco Eagle HT's. One thing I just noticed ('cause I looked), is that ALL the Eagle HT's, from the smallest to the largest have a 9,950 lb GVW. I'm going to ask about that as you're talking right about 9 FEET difference in length, yet they still have the same GVW? Sumpin' just ain't right about that, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GPG52! wrote:
I have owned both a Durango 1500 series and Cougar 327RES. Both worked great for us. Here are some things we noticed with the lite unit.
- Walls are thinner... which means less insulation
- The framing was based on the box configuration vs. having evenly spaced wall studs. I.E: framing around the perimeter of the box, around the door but then large gaps between studs
- limited amount of pull outs and the pull outs were not as deep
- some models have less hanging cupboard space as the walls have less framing
- oven was small... although the stove surface had three burner.. the oven interior height was shallow and would not fit standard cooking pots restricting its use.
- and my PET PEAVE the electric awning was anchored in the wall skin only and not in a stud.... first year we were caught in a freek storm which tor the awning arm away from the wall... this compromised the awning reducing it to a fair weather awning going forward.

My 2c worth... good luck.
GPG

Was it the Durango or the Cougar that had the awning issue?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jamieline
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the issues that affect this question has to do with size. There are more trailers that are considered light with several slides that are smaller in length. You get into the heavy trailers and the length goes up. Not always the case but then floor plan comes into play.
I have not settled on anything yet but length is a concern. Hopefully this is our last trailer and one we will spent longer periods of time in but not full time.
That being said I don't want to base any particular trailers but compare differences. An example would be the HT line and the Eagle line of Jayco trailers.
I am not concerned about weight at this point as the truck I have will pull anything I am considering light or normal.
Will the light last for some long distance traveling.

Thanks for the input.

Ryan_Elli1
Explorer
Explorer
The HT used to stand for Half-Ton series. That said I looked at Jayco and the HT series largest model has two slides is 33'5" and weights 7900. The Eagle Touring Edition's largest model is 33'11" and weights 9100 but it has three slides. The difference maybe in the additional half foot and third slide. We have a Cougar X-lite model and we have the same structure as the regular Cougar. I don't believe each model line is different because of structure as much as its different due to the floor plans available.
2014 Cougar 29RBS(Kizzy)
2015 F250 FX4 6.2
Ryan, Elli, and kids
with Holly the Mini Schnauzer

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to check the actual weights. I think the manufacturers call then `lite' models vs `light' models sort of like `less filling'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned both a Durango 1500 series and Cougar 327RES. Both worked great for us. Here are some things we noticed with the lite unit.
- Walls are thinner... which means less insulation
- The framing was based on the box configuration vs. having evenly spaced wall studs. I.E: framing around the perimeter of the box, around the door but then large gaps between studs
- limited amount of pull outs and the pull outs were not as deep
- some models have less hanging cupboard space as the walls have less framing
- oven was small... although the stove surface had three burner.. the oven interior height was shallow and would not fit standard cooking pots restricting its use.
- and my PET PEAVE the electric awning was anchored in the wall skin only and not in a stud.... first year we were caught in a freek storm which tor the awning arm away from the wall... this compromised the awning reducing it to a fair weather awning going forward.

My 2c worth... good luck.
GPG
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Going on season five with our "lite" with no issues, and it has an enclosed belly.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !