cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removed hitch - holes in bed of truck

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
We removed the 5th wheel hitch from our truck because we are downsizing to a small travel trailer.

Question: What can we put in the holes to prevent future rust? The truck has a sprayed bedliner, but we want to prevent rust when rain goes through the holes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe
14 REPLIES 14

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
This is the OP. THANKS for all of your ideas. The bolts from the hitch went with the hitch to the new owners.

WHAT WE DID: We sanded the hole lightly underneath and used Gorilla Tape. In the truck bed, we used J-B Weld SteelStik which is steell reinforced epoxy putty. It is a putty that you mold to fit the size holes. We bought J-B Weld from Home Depot in their paint dept.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Oh...coins did not fit the size of our holes so we couldn't use that idea.

Don
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask. why the caulking?
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Go back to Linex or where ever you had the liner installed and they will probably spray the holes for you.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Large round headed bolts and nuts with rubber washers worked on mine and not a mention about holes in the bed when I traded it in.
HR

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
just leave the carriage bolts in the holes, with washers on the bottom.

Exactly what I did. Don't plan on buying another 5th wheel, but you never know. I have a prayed-on bed liner.

Ray

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Big Toe Said > "What a fantastic fix up. Great idea!

I wonder if American pennies would work as well as Canadian ones?"

I have a secret stash of discontinued pennies! Any coin will work, it's just to give the J B something to stick to in order to help give it strength and rigidity
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We still use pennies.....;)
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:
I closed off each hole from underneath with a piece of Gorilla Tape. Then up top I dropped a penny in each hole and then filled each hole with J B Weld. Smoothed the J B while it was pliable and let it dry overnight. I then rough sanded the J B to conform with the bed floor and sprayed each area with rubberized undercoating spray. Turned out so sweet that you can't even see where the holes were on the sprayed in bed liner.

Cheers!

Mike

What a fantastic fix up. Great idea!

I wonder if American pennies would work as well as Canadian ones?

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Drainage holes.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have some holes in my truck bed, with the spray in liner, and I never thought that there would be any worry of rust. Should I ?

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to your local Fastenal store and purchase Stainless Carriage bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. Before you put the washers and nuts on the bottom side, squeeze some adhesive caulk around the bolt threads. Then tighten the nuts down.
You could also put a little caulk under the carriage bolt flange to seal it to the bed liner.

Bandaid

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
just leave the carriage bolts in the holes, with washers on the bottom.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
I closed off each hole from underneath with a piece of Gorilla Tape. Then up top I dropped a penny in each hole and then filled each hole with J B Weld. Smoothed the J B while it was pliable and let it dry overnight. I then rough sanded the J B to conform with the bed floor and sprayed each area with rubberized undercoating spray. Turned out so sweet that you can't even see where the holes were on the sprayed in bed liner.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wire brush the underside around the holes, then inside of the holes, and then simply paint the area with oil-based Rustolium. Find some kind of plug that matches the hole size and seal it in with a good calking.