cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing and Re-Installing B&W Companion Hitch

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pouring over the written instructions, looked online - and searched this site. I need to hear from folks who have had this hitch for a while as I am a new user of this hitch.

Recently, I had to take the base and saddle out of the truck bed. Followed the instructions and pulled the pin in the wheel well and rotated the handle to the left. Removed the saddle - no problem.

Instructions said to loosen the bolt on the top of the base unit to withdraw the pin and base. Done No problem.

Now. I have to put it back in. Reverse process. Wheel well pin slid back into the pin that goes through the truck bed. Tightened the center bolt on the top of the base unit to 60 pounds using a torque wrench (per the label next to the bolt).

I noted that when it was initially installed, no grease was placed on the center pin base plate where the pin comes in contact with it. I did that. Also, they didn't use any lithium grease on the nylon caps. Will be picking some up today.

Anything else I need to do? Looks and feels right, but, I want experienced input before I go and hitch the trailer to it.

Thanks.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice, glad you haven't been chased away by the negative stuff. Its unfortunate that one bent tube on the Ultimate had lead to such negative responses, and the worst thing about it it is from the non owners.

You will enjoy the towing experience, nothing like them as far as quiet, ,and such a positive connection, no doubt they are connected. Every conventional hitch out there has the potential of dropping a fifth wheel, no such chance with the Andersen, when its down on the ball, and locked its hooked. No pull test or any of that other stuff.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
billyray50 wrote:
Agree with the Quality. I also have talked with many Andersen ultimate owners and They are very pleased with its performance and quality.

Although I have the rail mount Andersen, the quality is there, no concerns at all.

Just have the B & W turnover ball so I will just get the ultimate.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ETCrockett wrote:
I have had my companion hitch in the bed for almost 2 years now and there have been times I would have liked to remove it for hauling other things. I have always been concerned about the weight and height of the tailgate from the ground on the F450. I tore the tendon from my right shoulder to my elbow so I don't have as much strength as I once did. I have been pondering purchasing a Champion electric winch from Home Depot and mounting it to the ceiling of my garage. I can back the truck into the garage and hoist the hitch up and drive out from under it and lower it onto a dolly to roll wherever I want to store it. The set up would about $200. Good Lord blessed me with daughters so I don't have anyone around when I need help lifting heavy items and I can't always wait on the next boyfriend to show up! So, I would get more use from the winch than just lifting the hitch and mounting it to the ceiling of the garage doesn't take up any space like having an engine hoist in the garage would.

I installed one from Harbor Freight , rated for 880 lbs, works great for removing my previous hitch, a little cheaper then the $200 from Home Depot, I believe they are around $130.

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my companion hitch in the bed for almost 2 years now and there have been times I would have liked to remove it for hauling other things. I have always been concerned about the weight and height of the tailgate from the ground on the F450. I tore the tendon from my right shoulder to my elbow so I don't have as much strength as I once did. I have been pondering purchasing a Champion electric winch from Home Depot and mounting it to the ceiling of my garage. I can back the truck into the garage and hoist the hitch up and drive out from under it and lower it onto a dolly to roll wherever I want to store it. The set up would about $200. Good Lord blessed me with daughters so I don't have anyone around when I need help lifting heavy items and I can't always wait on the next boyfriend to show up! So, I would get more use from the winch than just lifting the hitch and mounting it to the ceiling of the garage doesn't take up any space like having an engine hoist in the garage would.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
Agree with the Quality. I also have talked with many Andersen ultimate owners and They are very pleased with its performance and quality.

Although I have the rail mount Andersen, the quality is there, no concerns at all.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:

I know the companion is a good hitch but I will be going with the Andersen ultimate since I own a Truck camper too and use it frequently. At 59 I know I can still lift it but with some past injuries trying to make smarter choices.

I agree nothing smart about having to take apart a heavy B&W hitch , and removing by hand, at least add a electric hoist in your garage if possible , or better yet get even smarter as you did ,and go the Andersen.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Us B&W hitch guys have a genuine appreciation for the quality, workmanship and design of the B&W. When you're pulling the hitch in and out all the time the light weight of the Andersen can trump the less practical B&W.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Gordon_R wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I just took my Companion out the other day, and it was no big deal. When separated it isn't that bad, a bit awkward, but doable. Maybe when I get older it might be an issue, but at 69 no biggie.

Man! You're a stud! I'm 62. But, with back surgeries, I'm not taking the risk of more. I can lift the base and move it around, but being 5'6" with the hight that my 2016 F-350 sits off the ground, I'd have to lift it chest high.

Should have got the tailgate step. I just walk up the step with mine so I don't mark up my tailgate. Maybe you could lag a hook to the bottom cord of a truss in your garage and use a chain hoist or ATV winch.

I know the companion is a good hitch but I will be going with the Andersen ultimate since I own a Truck camper too and use it frequently. At 59 I know I can still lift it but with some past injuries trying to make smarter choices.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I'd add is to put a little grease in the zerk on the bottom of the hitch head every now and again. Other than that, sounds like you have it down!
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
LOL Yeah, my '01 dually sits a lot lower than the newer trucks so it isn't so bad, only about waist high. And I have the notched tailgate so I can get right up next to the bed of the truck. Not something I'd want to do everyday, but the hitch only comes out every couple years or more. I think the last time it was out was over 3 years ago.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gordon_R wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I just took my Companion out the other day, and it was no big deal. When separated it isn't that bad, a bit awkward, but doable. Maybe when I get older it might be an issue, but at 69 no biggie.

Man! You're a stud! I'm 62. But, with back surgeries, I'm not taking the risk of more. I can lift the base and move it around, but being 5'6" with the hight that my 2016 F-350 sits off the ground, I'd have to lift it chest high.

Should have got the tailgate step. I just walk up the step with mine so I don't mark up my tailgate. Maybe you could lag a hook to the bottom cord of a truss in your garage and use a chain hoist or ATV winch.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

My Andersen is no biggie either :B But my 18K Reese slider is, I do consider it a biggie the fact of having to take it apart to remove, unless I used my electric garage hoist when I was home. Problem solved away from home with the Andersen. Neither is an issue at home at 71 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"