cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing flat screen television

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
The 32" Toshiba LCD that came factory installed crapped out on our last camping trip. For those of you that have replaced their tv's, what type did you end up getting and how old was the original tv when it died? Mine was manufactured in 2009. Did the replacement tv fit the mounting bracket with little or no modification?
It makes no sense on getting this one repaired since they are like disposable razors. New ones are cheap enuff.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....
26 REPLIES 26

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine bought an extended warranty when he bought a new tv for his coach. About 8 months later, his tv quit and the dealer replaced the tv. He was then told that his warranty ended with the old tv and did not transfer to the new one.

On a side note... when we replaced our broken unit , we purchased the new samsung from Costco... we got a 2 year warranty and for $20.00 recieved an additional 3 year warranty.. This is the first etended warranty I got.. we figured with the TV being in the rear nd all the bouncing,,that the$20.00 would be worth it??
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
trustymopars wrote:
None of mine were "popped" so I guess I'll have to replace all of them to get the right one(s), if I decide to repair it. I've been checking online for replacement power boards, but they are in short supply. And it would probably have the weak caps, anyway.

there are a bunch of youtube videos.. here is but one youtube capacitor replacement video
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. There's not a lot of moving parts inside of those flat panels, so I was thinking power supply or board. I'm good at turning a wrench but not that up on electrical troubleshooting. My replaced DVD\surround is a Panasonic and if I get their tv I can use the HDMI for A/V. Thanks for the inputs.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

trustymopars
Explorer
Explorer
None of mine were "popped" so I guess I'll have to replace all of them to get the right one(s), if I decide to repair it. I've been checking online for replacement power boards, but they are in short supply. And it would probably have the weak caps, anyway.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500QC CTD SRW
2015 Montana 3611RL Progressive 50W
Husky 16 K Slider

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
trustymopars wrote:
If you are looking at a 32", you may want to stay away from Samsung. Mine died @ 2.5 yrs., and upon researching them, they have faulty capacitors in the power supplies. They settled a class-action lawsuit in Arkansas to replace TV's up to a certain serial number, but mine was outside of that. I called their support line, and was told the only thing they would do, was have me pay to ship it to them, then they would give me an estimate on the repair, and pay return shipping whether I chose to repair it or not. I bought an LG LED. I hope it lasts longer. JT.

our 55 had the bad capacitors.. took me an hour to replace them.
most of that time was getting it open and closed. $5 in parts.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

trustymopars
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at a 32", you may want to stay away from Samsung. Mine died @ 2.5 yrs., and upon researching them, they have faulty capacitors in the power supplies. They settled a class-action lawsuit in Arkansas to replace TV's up to a certain serial number, but mine was outside of that. I called their support line, and was told the only thing they would do, was have me pay to ship it to them, then they would give me an estimate on the repair, and pay return shipping whether I chose to repair it or not. I bought an LG LED. I hope it lasts longer. JT.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500QC CTD SRW
2015 Montana 3611RL Progressive 50W
Husky 16 K Slider

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my analog with a Vizio 32" from Sam's Club. It's been working great for 3 years now. Caught it on sale just before the holidays.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 32 in jensen in my new rig died first trip out. Dealer has replaced it but I was on the road and bought a 32in Vizio. Far better tv than the Jensen.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

greginsp
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a 55" LG LCD replaced under warranty by Redwood. It was only 9 months old.

The replacement was one year newer and the old mount fit perfectly.

I am concerned about the long term reliability as it is mounted on the rear wall and takes a pretty good beating I am sure going down the road.

Redwood did use loc-tite on all of the threaded mounting screws that secured the tv bracket to the wall bracket and even installed a couple of extra sheet metal screws in addition to the two bottom lock screws.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
rattleNsmoke wrote:
The 32" Toshiba LCD that came factory installed crapped out on our last camping trip. For those of you that have replaced their tv's, what type did you end up getting and how old was the original tv when it died? Mine was manufactured in 2009. Did the replacement tv fit the mounting bracket with little or no modification?
It makes no sense on getting this one repaired since they are like disposable razors. New ones are cheap enuff.
Mike

I agree it makes no sense to have the deceased set repaired, but it would be interesting to find out what failed, and if vibration from bouncing down the road was a factor. If so, I would be very reluctant to replace it with a Samsung or other high end set. I bought a 32 inch Insignia LED from Best Buy earlier in the year to replace the last CRT set we had in the stick n' brick. Is the picture quality as good as our 40" Samsung Smart TV in the living room? No, but it is quite good for a $200 TV.

Mike_NW
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Panasonic 32" LED this last year and have been very happy with the TV. We replaced a Vizio LCD that was about three years old.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Toshiba at home that lasted about 2 years. Now have a Sony that has been good
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
TV that came with coach had 4x4 mounting holes. The dealership sent me a replacement for that one (two days old) and it had 4x8 holes. I had to make an adapter.