cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reputable Dealers

IRNYC
Explorer
Explorer
Im new to The RV / Travel Trailer world. Im purchasing my first trailer this coming spring. To use on a permanent location upstate NY. Ive come to the conclusion a used 5th wheel would be a perfect product for me and my use. But I've been reading nasty reviews online about some of the local dealerships I've called and gone too. Basically a lot of them say that they bought something used and things broke and were damaged and basically they feel that they were sold something that was not what the dealer said. I understand that used trailers are buy as is but since I'm new to this I'm very concerned with finding an honest and reputable dealership. Does anyone recommend a very trustworthy source for RV/s trailers, in the NY, NJ, PA, CT, VT, area? Im based in New York City but want to find honest people to buy from.
Thanks for reading!!!!!
Cheers
IRNYC
11 REPLIES 11

ggrant119
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from Boat and RV warehouse in New York. I almost (key word..ALMOST!) purchased a my TT there. As everyone has already posted do your homework. I am new to the camping world and if wasn't for this forum and others I would have made huge mistakes! !! They prey on the new guys!! (After all that's how they unload all the stuff people who did there homework didn't want!) You can always e-mail me I'll give details to make sure others don't get burned.

IRNYC
Explorer
Explorer
thank you everyone for your comments and advice! very very helpful. i will definitely research the locations some of you recommended and will take all your thoughts into consideration as i move forward with this purchase.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
The RV industry has trained the buyer to expect to get 30% discount or better.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with kohai..."Find somebody that really knows RVs and take them with you."
There are exceptions, but "reputable" and "dealer" are not usually found in the same sentence.
Best of luck in your search.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
IRNYC wrote:
Im new to The RV / Travel Trailer world. Im purchasing my first trailer this coming spring. To use on a permanent location upstate NY. Ive come to the conclusion a used 5th wheel would be a perfect product for me and my use. But I've been reading nasty reviews online about some of the local dealerships I've called and gone too. Basically a lot of them say that they bought something used and things broke and were damaged and basically they feel that they were sold something that was not what the dealer said. I understand that used trailers are buy as is but since I'm new to this I'm very concerned with finding an honest and reputable dealership. Does anyone recommend a very trustworthy source for RV/s trailers, in the NY, NJ, PA, CT, VT, area? Im based in New York City but want to find honest people to buy from.
Thanks for reading!!!!!
Cheers
IRNYC

Find somebody that really knows RVs and take them with you.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
If you're willing to travel to PA, we were very happy with our purchase and the service at Tom Schaeffers in Shoemakersville. They have a good reputation. Take 78 west to exit 29a and go about 3 miles south on rt 61. The big plus is you can also visit Cabellas when you're there. Do NOT go to the huge place right on 78 at that exit. Their so-so reputation was confirmed when we stopped in there. Good luck!

Depending onn what you want , give Chuck and Audry Neer a call over at C Neer RV Inc.. they are here:
C. Neer RV Inc.
2496 Hancock Highway
Equinunk, PA 18417
Phone: 570-224-8606
Fax: 570-224-6687

And here is their website - C Neer RV

They are always at the Suffern RV show , if you ever get out that way...I believe they are about 2-1/2 hrs from Suffern.. They are probably the most honest , nice salespeople I have ever met . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
This will help explain a lot, sums up purchasing a RV, gives tips, education, etc:

Shady Truth Buying a RV

Good Luck!

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
What you are asking is a very tricky question. It is more a matter of salesmen than dealerships, although some dealerships are more forgiving of a little stretching of the truth, if the salesman has good numbers. I've actually gone to a salesmanager and told him to keep a certain salesman away from me. He asked why and when I explained that the salesman had stretched a MHs fuel economy by 5mpg and wouldn't budge from his claim, he honored my request. Ended up buying two RVs from that dealership. Maybe they just realized that I do my homework and they couldn't BS me.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t trust dealers there out for one thing,your money, look at used rv,s and a lot of them, get to know what the signs are of a good used unit, for one sign is water marks and stains,, run don,t walk from a water damaged rv.

Moved from ATC