cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residence refrigerator

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried using a residence refrigerator? If so have you used dry ice for cooling while traveling?

Thanks and happy camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel
21 REPLIES 21

jtaylor1920
Explorer
Explorer
jrstout89 wrote:
Will be upgrading our fifth wheel in about a year for going full time. Quick question, what is the upside to residential fridges? I've been using a small 2-way for 8 years now with no problems. We went to an rv show last month and there were a lot of larger 2-way frigdes in the models we were looking at. Plenty of space for the Wife and I. So why a residential, I'd like to know before I buy next year. Thanks.

We just bought a new rig and I decided to go with the two way fridge as I thought of the few times weโ€™ve overnighted without hookups where itโ€™s been nice to run the refrigerator on propane. Well after a few months of dealing with cooling issues with our Norcold 2118 Iโ€™m regretting that decision. Our 2118 is a piece of junk. Out of the gate weโ€™ve had nothing but issues keeping food at safe temps. Norcold support and our dealer have been useless at fixing the issue. I went over the entire installation to make sure it was installed according to specs and Cardinal did it right, but still no luck getting it to cool properly until I added more fans to improve air circulation behind the refrigerator. A friend has the exact same trailer and has no issues. I guesss itโ€™s just my bad luck as the Dometic in my last trailer failed. If I had to do it again Iโ€™d go residential and be done with it.
John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2016 GMC Duramax Dually
2018 Cardinal 3350RLX
B&W Companion Hitch

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of variables. Cool or warm weather. Sun beating on the fridge side. Fridge full or lightly loaded. Doors kept closed. All have a bearing on how long it stays cold without power.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
jrstout89 wrote:
...what is the upside to residential fridges? ... Thanks.

I had to laugh when I read your question! The answer is so simple!

The NEXT time someone puts the question on these forums, "Can I run my refrigerator on gas while I am towing on the road?" You will NEVER get blasted on these forums for those who say "yes" OR those who say "no"! Finally.... it's not an issue any more! You can rest easy.

:B :C :S

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I have a residential Whirlpool and I can go from NE Pennsylvania to Key West with the fridge staying on with my 2 Lifeline-group 31 AGM's and 1000 watt pure wave sine inverter..

we also have a whirlpool residential.. 1200 watt pure sine wave inverter and 2 cheapo 12v hybrid deep cycle batteries. temps stay at perfect on long drives 9 or 10 hours no problem.

if we drycamped i would want propane, but we don't so a residential is better for us. more space, no maintenance and no propane use.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
jrstout89 wrote:
Will be upgrading our fifth wheel in about a year for going full time. Quick question, what is the upside to residential fridges? I've been using a small 2-way for 8 years now with no problems. We went to an rv show last month and there were a lot of larger 2-way frigdes in the models we were looking at. Plenty of space for the Wife and I. So why a residential, I'd like to know before I buy next year. Thanks.

No more possible fire threat, almost double the interior storage for almost identical outside size, and Ice Cream stays hard.

Well said !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrstout89 wrote:

No more possible fire threat, almost double the interior storage for almost identical outside size, and Ice Cream stays hard.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jrstout89 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
My 38 ft Cedar Creek came with a 26 Whirlpool house refrigerator. It has an inverter with 4 six volt batteries.
Bill and Joey the dog

jrstout89
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Ford F250HD V10 4.10
2010 Jayco 30.5RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Besides the factory options for residential fridges - many 5th wheel & MH owners have swapped out their AC/Propane "originals" for compressor type residential fridges.

Besides here (5th wheel forum) check the MH & Toy Hauler forum/s, and search both current and archives (threads older than 12 months) for lots of info.

~

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
What good is having a refrigerator if you can't open it for 2 days! Kind of defeats the purpose for putting anything in it, if you can't open it and use the stuff you put in???? That just don't make sense.

Ours has a residential refrigerator and runs on an inverter. No problems for us so far. The truck charges the trailer battery when in tow. The battery runs the inverter changing DC to 120 AC, which powers the refrigerator. Ours stay at -2 and +36 on shore power or while in tow.

I have a residential Whirlpool and I can go from NE Pennsylvania to Key West with the fridge staying on with my 2 Lifeline-group 31 AGM's and 1000 watt pure wave sine inverter..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
3ares wrote:
Has anyone ever tried using a residence refrigerator? If so have you used dry ice for cooling while traveling?

Thanks and happy camping

Lots of people are doing so. Just need to have proper batteries and an inverter to do so. Note, some fridges have restrictions on using in RVs or powering from an inverter. Likely will void warranty, so check carefully. Also, be =very= careful on sizes as some might require removing an entire slide, or a window, to do the swap. Others can fit through the main door, but will likely require removal of the fridge door(s), usually an easy job. You might also have to modify the cabinetry around the fridge, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
If its already at temperature, along with what you stuff in it, it should hold acceptable temps for at least 2 days if you dont open the door.

NO ! Well if you are Camping in COLD weather maybe.

Ya we are good for a all day drive, about 8 hours,2 golf cart batteries next year.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-