cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV size comparison

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
A bit of a dilemma here. Currently we have a 1997 Alpenlite Augusta 31RL, at 32 feet oal. Yesterday, atca local RV show, we ended up signing papers and deposit for a 2016 Wildcat Maxx, model F262GRX. This was listed as a 26 foot, ir close to 27 foot rig. We are looking to downsize. Today, reading thru some spec data, we found that the Wildcat oal is 31' 3". Basically, the new "smaller" rig has the same oal as the 31 foot rig I now have. Am I gaining anything with the new trailer since we mainly like NF and state park camping. Open to any words of wisdom here. Thx
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System
18 REPLIES 18

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Cider wrote:
A bit of a dilemma here. Currently we have a 1997 Alpenlite Augusta 31RL, at 32 feet oal. Yesterday, atca local RV show, we ended up signing papers and deposit for a 2016 Wildcat Maxx, model F262GRX. This was listed as a 26 foot, ir close to 27 foot rig. We are looking to downsize. Today, reading thru some spec data, we found that the Wildcat oal is 31' 3". Basically, the new "smaller" rig has the same oal as the 31 foot rig I now have. Am I gaining anything with the new trailer since we mainly like NF and state park camping. Open to any words of wisdom here. Thx

You need to read the specs closely on the new RVs. At one time the number usually meant the length of the RV. Now sometimes the numbers mean nothing other than a factory number, but it seems now often the number means the number of square ft of living space. So that F262 probably has 262 sq ft.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
So, end if story. Traded Alpenlite yesterday for new rig. After several days of fretting and fussing, I have to admit that I am very happy with the new 5th wheel. Tows great, tracks well, and very comfortable. Will miss the Alpenlite, as we have had 3 of them, but the Forest River product seems to be well made and holds value. Lesson learned.......
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Nope. Keep the Alpenlite, you will regret anything else

Don't have an Alpenlite - but completely agree with the above.

Whether you trade the Alpenlite -or sell it yourself- somebody will be *really happy* to snap it up!

Hope it turns out to be a lose-win-win!..:W

lose/you - win/new owner - win/new RV for you.

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I may have to settle for two slides then...........

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting 3 slides will all be 30 ft or more I believe. Grand Design makes a couple of units at 31 ft with 3 slides.

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I too had a similiar thing happen to me. Bought the rig used off of Craigs List and the people lied straight up and down about everything and I made the mistake of not checking thins out, yep, MY FAULT.

Anyway, based on long distance phone conversations with the sellers, I was told it was 33' long. Bought it and hauled it a couple of hundred miles home. After a few days I decided to measure it and found it was 36' and some inches. Later got a manual for it and found it was really 36' 10" long on the outside.

We left on our two or three months vacation, and have hit one state park in Oregon, boy that was a mess and TIGHT but I got her in and out okay. After that we have been in four NP's and again it was tight.

So, when I get back to Oregon, I am going to try and find a (honest dealer) and trade her in for a little smaller one. What do you guys reccomend for a family of three for state, NP's and federal lands? I do like at least three slides. What is a good medium quality brand that is not an entry level?

Thanks.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, for your comments. Off to thh dealer today
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but I don't have any words of wisdom. You have just discovered the truth of those numbers--they mean nothing in terms of length. I hope you have found an honest and reputable dealer that will be willing to reverse the deal and let you buy another rig. But you can't blame him if he doesn't totally let you out of the deal. Talk to him/her and see what s/he says.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking. You bought a new 5th wheel that is about the same length as your old one, so I would guess you're aware of how it will fit in the campgrounds you normally frequent.

If you're looking to downsize it doesn't appear that the new trailer will actually fit the bill. Are you wondering about not finishing the deal? Or just kind of expressing your frustration about the lack of difference in size?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I see no reason to buy something that was not in your initial plan.
magic43

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
In the fine print on many RV pamphlets is a statement stating that the model number does not represent the actual length of the RV. Confusing but that is the way it is.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
Second Click

2PM_s
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that the numbers they put on a unit is close to the length from the back wall to the front wall on the inside. The outside measurement is the back include the wall and bumper and the front includes the front cap and hitch pin. Most of the time, and this not all units is real close to 4 plus feet.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The model numbers rarely have anything to do with actual size. They seem to be picked from thin air in most cases. You need to look at listed dimensions to find actual sizes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"