cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sailun Tires

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Just received my new 235/85r16 Sailun S637 tires from Walmart.
The manufacture date on all 4 tires is 3121, which is August of this year. That's a good thing!
The concern I have is the plant they came from..... Vietnam.
With the latest chatter about failures, I'm a little nervous.
Anyone have any new info on the issues? I can return them to any Walmart store until January so I may hold off on having them mounted until I can get more information on the actual problem that may or may not exist.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
21 REPLIES 21

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Well it appears that the quality issue was on tires manufactured in mid 2020 according to the recall. The tires I received were manufactured a year later so hopefully Sailun corrected the problem and I'm good to go.....the tires are certainly heavy duty!! We'll see how they perform.
Semper Fi

2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Sailun did not develop its stellar reputation overnight.
Much in the way a RV trailer puts added stress on a tow vehicle vs. most other family use trailers. RV tires should be held to a higher standard than a typical trailer tire.
RV tires carry a very non aeroadynamic load. They are heavily stressed when parked in tight spots. Typically they carry a heavier load than most non professional trailers their size
They are used 100's of miles away from home, often in remote areas.
Using a no name off brand tire for a utility trailer or a locally used boat trailer does not require the same rigor and reliabilty required by an RV trailer.
With that in mind I prefer the weight, additional capacity margin and stellar reputation of Sailun vs. the other off brand tires.
Sure you could gamble with some other off brand RV tire, but why when there is a proven and tested tire available? Sailun its reputation speaks for itself.
I agree Sailun WAS a very good trailer tire but with the relocation of the manufactures to Vietnam the reputation was going downhill fast.Goodyear 614 was a very bad tire when they start,I got 3 blow on them now they OK but the price is ridiculous high.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I see on Taskmaster website Providers come in a all steel ply carcass in a ST235/80 16" G @ 4080 lbs and a ST235/85-16" G @ 4400 lbs capacity only....and have 19/32nd tread depth. Thats a serious tire for haulers trailers. Should be good for 80k-90k miles per set.
I don't heard about Taskmaster probably made in China it can be good but not to many reviews.

The Providers first hit the streets in the 2010 era on several types of equipment trailers. They are the usual poly carcass tire with two steel belts plus the nylon cap and among the first ST tires to have the higher speed ratings and come in 13"/14"/15" and 16"E/F load range. Some rv owners have said the Providers came OEM on their trailers.

The all steel carcass Providers I mentioned above is a newer line from Taskmaster.
And as usual they show up on commercial type trailers first till some rv folks see the type of service haulers are getting.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Below is an old post from the late forum legend NC Hauler.
It was his posts back when that originally attracted me to Sailun tires.
As long as the tires are still being made to the manufacturing standards NC Hauler mentions I would not worry about Sailun quality.
If the tires are no longer being made to this standard it is time to be concerned.

Posted By: NC Hauler on 03/15/15 05:11pm

Only Chinese manufactured tire that I know of that meets same stringent ISO audits (TS 16949) that my company has to meet to compete in the world market and have a good reputation when it comes to manufacturing a Quality product....To attain this certification, they have to prove out and have records on all manufacturing and Quality processes involved in their manufacturing processes. All training records, management, finances, ESH, HR and on...So I too will look at these tires when time to replace my GY G614's due to the fact that they cost less but seem to be every bit as good as the GY G614's.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
But the Sailun reputation is getting a bit tarnished from the ones made in Vietnam. These could just be an anomaly, and back to business as usual, but one needs to be aware of even a small number of problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Sailun did not develop its stellar reputation overnight.
Much in the way a RV trailer puts added stress on a tow vehicle vs. most other family use trailers. RV tires should be held to a higher standard than a typical trailer tire.
RV tires carry a very non aeroadynamic load. They are heavily stressed when parked in tight spots. Typically they carry a heavier load than most non professional trailers their size
They are used 100's of miles away from home, often in remote areas.
Using a no name off brand tire for a utility trailer or a locally used boat trailer does not require the same rigor and reliabilty required by an RV trailer.
With that in mind I prefer the weight, additional capacity margin and stellar reputation of Sailun vs. the other off brand tires.
Sure you could gamble with some other off brand RV tire, but why when there is a proven and tested tire available? Sailun its reputation speaks for itself.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I see on Taskmaster website Providers come in a all steel ply carcass in a ST235/80 16" G @ 4080 lbs and a ST235/85-16" G @ 4400 lbs capacity only....and have 19/32nd tread depth. Thats a serious tire for haulers trailers. Should be good for 80k-90k miles per set.
I don't heard about Taskmaster probably made in China it can be good but not to many reviews.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Bayley wrote:
The OE tires that came on my trailer are Goodyear G614's.
They've been good tires but double the cost?
More like triple the cost, I've been seeing well over $400 for them.

And if they made them in my size, I would have gladly paid that for them.

Ive never had a trailer tire blow out, but YouToob is filled with videos of RV people that had simple tread separation, and the side of their trailer looked like an 18 wheeler full of Chinese whoopee cushions plunged off The Golden Gate Bridge and landed on their fender flare.
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley;

I scrubbed the internet to find out from multiple forums the following information:

Of reported Sailun failures on various forums, the following dates codes were reported: 2320,3520,4020,4020,4120. I found reports of three other failures where no date code was provided. All of these were Vietnam tires.

I went to my local tire shop last week and the Sailuns were date coded 2621 from Vietnam fwiw.

Therefore, I would hope that you are right. Perhaps 2021 tires are GTG, despite the natural fact that 2020 Sailuns have more cumulative miles and therefore more opportunities to fail.

Time will tell.

I went with Carlisle CSL 16 instead. G rated. 81 mph rated. 14 ply rating. Its all a gamble. All tires today are trash, especially trailer tires. Leave it up to the Chicoms to ruin the ONLY reliable G rated trailer tire on the market.
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran Hankook MaxiVantage G rated tires on my 3 axle trailer for 5 years and never a problem. I replaced them with Goodyear G614 tires and no issues in 3 years.
https://www.tires-easy.com/7.50-16/hankook-tires/f19/tirecode/2000863

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bayley wrote:
More like triple the cost, I've been seeing well over $400 for them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
buc1980 wrote:
I talk with Sailun and they replay that they know the problem. I have Sailun for a long time with no problem but noe until they fix the problem I stay away from them.Now the problem is to find a replacement not to many choice in the size 16 load G.Hankook Vantra TH31 is one but they are very young trailer tire(Apr 2021)Carlisle trail CSL16 is another one but?

Providers seem to be a decent brand. Our 30' PJ gooseneck came with them, new. G-rated.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Semper Fi