cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sailun Tires

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Just received my new 235/85r16 Sailun S637 tires from Walmart.
The manufacture date on all 4 tires is 3121, which is August of this year. That's a good thing!
The concern I have is the plant they came from..... Vietnam.
With the latest chatter about failures, I'm a little nervous.
Anyone have any new info on the issues? I can return them to any Walmart store until January so I may hold off on having them mounted until I can get more information on the actual problem that may or may not exist.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
21 REPLIES 21

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Did your RV come with load range “E” tires? The GY ENDURANCE has a load rating of 3,640#.

Those Arctic fox fifth wheels are pretty heavy ,not sure I would want a Goodyear on that fifth wheel . I would feel a lot more comfortable with a G rated at 4080 lb rating .

Montana fifth wheels dumped the G614 because of its low weight rating . Started offering other brands of G rated .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The problem does indeed exist. Several people on the Grand Design forum have had several Vietnam Sailun tire, manufactured winter/early spring, this year, with tread separation. Not good news. There have been a few cases, but I've not read of any recently. But that could be because the traveling season is winding down. Personally we won't be traveling much until next year, and if it were me, I'd wait for a few months and see how things shake out. Just depends on how badly you need new tahrs.

Unfortunately the same reports over on the Montana forum , tread separation , with the Vietnam made Sailuns .

Apparently though, the new Montana fifth wheels are coming out with the China made Sailun tires . They either have a source from China , that some distributors do not, or had a stock pile of them. Sounds like any of the Sailuns right now coming from Walmart, Simpletire etc are Vietnam made .

If I were in the market for another set , I would search out China made . Another tire to look at is the G rated Hankook H31 that was mentioned over on the General RVing Issues , a new tire on the market ,fairly reasonable price . Probably prove out to be a quality RV tire .

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I talk with Sailun and they replay that they know the problem. I have Sailun for a long time with no problem but noe until they fix the problem I stay away from them.Now the problem is to find a replacement not to many choice in the size 16 load G.Hankook Vantra TH31 is one but they are very young trailer tire(Apr 2021)Carlisle trail CSL16 is another one but?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
The failures i have heard of on GD forum were sailun manufactured VN mid 2020 with the failures happening this year. Mine are manufactured VN mid 2021 so crossing my fingers that whatever was going on has been fixed.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've read some of those on the GD forum (other forums) who had issues with their china and VN made Sailun.
Some were pretty sketchy reports like running the 235/85-16 G at 4400 lbs capacity with only 80 psi for two years. Thats simply tire abuse especially on a heavy sidewall tire... BTDT and a expensive lesson learned.
Others were not the 16" load G but said they were 17.5" H load range Sailun S637 or just Sailun tires.
And one motor home owners reported his 22.5" Sailun lost a tread but no details.

Some never gave any details other than just my Sailun made in china or made in VN.

One had deep chunks and rubber on that one same side of the tire ground down like a metal object getting hung up in the wheel well doing the damage.

I saw only two (on three different rv forums) that gave all the particulars that pointed to 16" G S637 tire issues. The rest IMO were owner neglect or ignorance of derating psi on heavy tires or cuts and bruising from admitting to rolling over curbs/etc.
Sailun has around a dozen different lines of tires for commercial trucks/trailers ranging from 16"/17.5"/19.5"/22.5"/24.5". Sailun S637 16" load G is just one of them.

I would run them but make a quick looky at the tires tread on every stop. you make
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did your RV come with load range “E” tires? The GY ENDURANCE has a load rating of 3,640#.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem does indeed exist. Several people on the Grand Design forum have had several Vietnam Sailun tire, manufactured winter/early spring, this year, with tread separation. Not good news. There have been a few cases, but I've not read of any recently. But that could be because the traveling season is winding down. Personally we won't be traveling much until next year, and if it were me, I'd wait for a few months and see how things shake out. Just depends on how badly you need new tahrs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"