cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short 5er for full-time?

JodiG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the former owner of a 2003 Hitchhiker II 26.5RL. At 28 feet, it was one of the smallest 4 seasons units designed for full-time use. I sold it in 2011, when I was no longer full-time with the idea that if I wished to travel like that again, it would likely be best to have something a little newer. I'm considering going full-time again but I'm not finding what I'm looking for, which is a 5th wheel with a heated basement storage area designed for full-time use that is less than 32 feet long. Any suggestions?

Also, if this sort of thing is no longer made, I have considered the options of either buying a shorter, lower-quality rig and making due with the limitations and potential repairs such a rig would face being used so extensively OR buying an older rig and dealing with the repairs an older rig would need. Both options seem like a headache in different ways. I'm hoping I've failed to find the brand that has just the thing I'm looking for, however. Any input is greatly appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

Bobbiet
Explorer
Explorer
We also looked at those. Both have great reputations. Outdoors mfg is closer to us as we are in Idaho, but I couldn't get over the uncomfortable couch. Our Reflections 303 will be here in a month:).

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Jodi,
Just got back from the local RV show.
We were impressed by the Grand Design RV's.
The mid Profile Reflection line has the 293 and 303 that are around 32'.
The super lite 27 and 29 are 30'-11" each
Grand Design Reflection Specs
Some of the Outdoors RV Glacier Peak line may fit your requirements.
those weren't represented at the show so I can't vouch for the fit and finish but was impressed by the Grand Designs.

Now only waiting for the right time to buy...

labren
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at the Keystone Sprinter ... Model 269FWRLS ..... 32FT 7in

shipping weight 8510 - I think if you have a look at this, you will like what it has to offer.
2014 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Laramie CC SB 4x4
2015 Keystone Cougar 279RKSWE

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people suggest things the Original Poster doesn't ask for..? Maybe it's me but under 30' means under 30'.

To answer the OP's question, I also agree with those that suggested the Arctic Fox 27.5. I believe after doing all the home work it's one of the best choices out there.

jjwms
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed for 10 years. 6 of those were in a HH-II that was 31 feet long with two slides. If we were to go back to fulltime we would seriously consider an Artic Fox because they are 4 season rigs. Granted they are more expensive but in our opinion one gets what they pay for. But floor plan you can live with is really the key. However, having said that, we would now also consider a good quality motorhome with slides about 33-35' long and pull our 2012 Jeep Liberty four wheels down.
Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with traveling for the right one. The extra in travel time & cost is well worth not having remorse later it you buy local for the sake of saving a few dollars & time.

Don't forget to add those 2 extra feet to whatever the model number is. The higher you go in the 30s the more rapidly the number of sites available for that size decreases.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JodiG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again, everyone! I have busily checked out the names and sites you have provided me. So far, I'm liking the Artic Fox 27-5L at 29'5" and Glacier Peak's F26RKS at 29'11". I guess I'll need to become a member of the Hitchhiker forum in order to take a look at that unit too. I wish the brands that most interest me were available at dealerships in Florida but for the right unit, I'd travel.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
We have and Excel 34IKE. It's 37.5' tip to tip.

We primarily camp at Texas State Parks. We've not had a problem finding a site.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
JodiG, are you a member of the HitcHiker forum? Someone just posted about a 2008 HitchHiker LS that is around 28 feet. Supposedly gently used. Spouse died and widow is not interested in RVing.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, now that I finally find myself in front of a proper computer, here is the link to Outdoors RV - Glacier Peak line. They have several models under 30' and I'm in the same boat. Will have a family of 4 and I figure that I want to fit in more areas. If we need more sleeping space, we can setup a tent.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Under 30 seems like a great length. We camped next to a couple who were in a 29ft New Horizon no slide. Their 3rd (rig, not sure of brand for 1 and 2) in 17 years on the road. I remember it seemed just a touch longer than my truck and TC. What a great size if you can squeeze down into it.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered this AF with both 120v tank heaters and the 12V heaters to use while on the go. So far so good…..our Cougar froze up a couple of trips while going over WA and CA high passes. IT maxs out the towing capabilities of our F350 with its weight.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jodi, looks like that Arctic Fox is 33' 11".
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kansas RV Center, which was the Hitchhiker builder, now sells new and used trailers. There is one you might look at. Here
Excel is a well built trailer.