cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use leveling system for tire repair/maintenance?

aksundog
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys,

I have a fairly new High Country 340BH (Keystone), and it came with the Ground Control 3.0 leveling system from Lippert.

I went to Sears today to get a 10 ton bottle jack and jack stands for lifting the trailer when I need to fix or maintain the tires/wheels. However, I'm curious to know if it would be advisable to use the Ground Control system for this instead? It seems to me to be a more safe and stable option, assuming the system can handle the weight, which it seems to have no problem with.

Best regards.
17 REPLIES 17

N4VNI
Explorer
Explorer
Been in fire and rescue for over 30 years. Also done all my repair and maintenance on RV ,vehicles,home repair,etc this is jmho I would not be concerned with lifting with leveling system BUT when I had the RV lifted I would install safety Jack's under the RV and then lower the RV to rest on the safety jack with the other points still firmly on the ground. In fire and rescue you never raise any object without some type of safety under it. In the fire service we call it "cribbing". Usually done with heavy timbers. STAY SAFE.
2004 Prowler Regal 285RKS
2000 Cheverlot K-2500 4WD, Line-X liner
Prodigy brake control
Reese 15K hitch
1 wife (my best friend)
3 granddaughter's!!!!!
1 dog (lab)(my 2nd best friend)

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
We have Bigfoot Levelers. No problem lifting and we have used it to change a problem tire. Each leveler does 17K. For maintenance, lift it, put jack stands under the frame and let'er down.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I had someone on a "brand" forum tell me that I could use my 6-point level up system to raise my unit in order to grease my wheel bearings. He was a farmer and had a unit like mine and had spent years fixing his own equipment on the farm.

I tried it and he was correct. The system will raise the wheels off the ground. I haven't left it in the air yet to service my bearings. When I do I will place several jack stands under it just for added security, just like I would if I was using my floor jack.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
most leveling systems are designed to be able to lift more than is necessary to raise the coach.
so, yes you can, but for liability purposes, all leveling system manufacturers state in the warranty portion of the manual that that is not to done. you should always use jack stands or some safe blocking when you remove a tire. if it falls on you, you assume all cost.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I just had new tires put on my TH yesterday. Pulled up to the dealers and unhooked and then used the Level-Up to lift all 4 wheels off the ground. They removed all 4, mounted the new tires and put them back on. Kinda looked funny sitting in the parking lot up in the air with no tires or wheels.

14,100 lbs of RV vs 60,000 lb of lifting capacity, no brainer.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed all four tires in my driveway and have the 6 point level. I felt the best and safest way for me was to hook the truck to the camper and retract all the legs. I used my 10 ton bottle jack to lift one at a time with little to no effort.

I debated using the level up but it was so easy with the bottle jack I figured why even take the chance. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a pinch (6 point) on the side of the road.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

aksundog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, Mike and jnharley, I was interested in knowing that.

I'll be careful and redundant with jack stands whenever I do lift the trailer. However, we live in a time when manufacturers will always go to the lowest necessary declared functionality of their products for the simple reason of wanting to avoid any possible liability.

I'm not saying that I'd be comfortable leveling up the trailer and taking a bourbon induced nap under the wheels for a few hours, but there is an acceptable level of risk to consider when looking at my options for a tire emergency scenario.

Thanks all.

mike1poles
Explorer
Explorer
We had axle problems two years ago. Lippert came 500 miles, to where we were to change out an axle (both had just been changed by Lippert from 7M to 8M#), so we could get back to their service center to replace them again, this happen on two separate times within one month. They used our LevelUp 6 jack system both times to completely raise our 5th wheel off the ground (it scales at 18,300) and work under it. These guys were Lippert employees!!! Also at their service center in Goshen, IN, again, they used the LevelUp to raise the 5th wheel completely off the ground and worked under it. Their answer, the jacks fully retracted still leave 12-18" of clearance under the 5th wheel and 4-6" or more under wheel hubs. But, it is impossible to have a complete failure of the system were all 6 jacks retract all at once, and IF they did, they would just stop at the bottom, not "bounce" lower then return up a little. They also said, if someone was concerned about a complete failure, use car stands beside each jack, equal to the 7,000#'s of the jack capacity. We have used our LevelUp many times to lift it completely off the ground. Where we are at present, because of health reasons, have had to be in the same place since middle of April 2014, with one side off the ground and it has not move at all, (because of the slop of the ground I cannot get both sides off the ground). But, I have measured and have markings on it to check if it does, it has not. Since 2012 when we had the LevelUp installed by Lippert, just for "grins and giggles" I have set up a different places for 3-6 months and have raised the unit completely off the ground, (never did any work under it but I would have if I had too). But, nothing move, had measurements and markings to check, plus, less movement in the 5th wheel.

So I say all that to say, I personally would not hesitate at all, to lift it completely off the ground for any reason, long or short term. Both by the experience I have seen, and what the employees of the manufacturer of the system do at their service center and on the road. When our unit was there, there were "many" bosses, from operations, engineering, production plants, etc, all looking at what happened causing the problems with our 5th wheel axle's, while it was completely off the ground, and nothing was said about it being off the ground, and with no other "emergency" support system. Like stated in an earlier post, the "warning" is a disclaimer for Lippert. Like the 30 some "warnings" on any ladder. LOL
But everyone has to make their own choice. Everyone has seen someone else do stupid stuff with car jacks, bottle jacks and floor jacks. But this system is nothing like those, kinda like comparing raisins and oranges. :B

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Each of our 4 Big Foot jacks can lift 17k lbs. Big Foot does not recommend lifting the entire RV but we occasionally have tires off the ground on unlevel sites.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several risks to be aware of:

1. Loss of hydraulics while under the lifted trailer
2. Failure of welds on the frame at the levellers
3. Undue stress on the frame

Can you lift the rig to change tires? Probably.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
My old class A with leveling jacks was able to left the tires clear off the ground. I don't see the problem with putting a stand under the frame and then lowering it down so that the majority of the load is on the stand (use the stand, not the 10 ton bottle jack that you bought).
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
He's not wanting to LIFT his unit with it's leveling system, he just want to use it to stabilize it while jacking up and axle. YES go ahead and level the unit as NORMAL and then use the bottle jack to lift the axle that need the tire repair as needed. This is the safest way to change a tire.

My take is lifting is exactly what he wants to use the leveling system for.

Michael

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
He's not wanting to LIFT his unit with it's leveling system, he just want to use it to stabilize it while jacking up and axle. YES go ahead and level the unit as NORMAL and then use the bottle jack to lift the axle that need the tire repair as needed. This is the safest way to change a tire.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've never seen/heard of an RV leveling system designed to actually lift the rig off the ground for maintenance. I have seen a few Class A's with the front tires in the air due to the levelers, but not trailers.

I'd use the leveling system only for stability while the bottle jack has it up in the air. I would NOT jack it up with the bottle drop the levelers, and pull the jack out. I'd expect bad, bad things to happen if you did that.

My theory is, ain't no such thing as too many stabilizing props while _I'm_ under there crawling around!