cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra and sandpiper question

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
After finding the Columbus 385 bunkhouse model that we really liked it is no longer being made. We need a bunkhouse that is suitable for two adult couples ourselves and another. We have looked at the Sandpiper and the Sierra being made on the same line, does anybody have any experience on the technical differences of these two models? Is either one better than the other
5 REPLIES 5

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with the two you asked about but you should look at the Heartland Gateway 3660 TB. It is a two bedroom, 1 -1/2 bath with 5 slides. It would be a great layout for two couples.

Gateway 3660TB
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We purchased a 2006 6.0 in 2011 with less the 100000 miles. First two months loved the truck. The first repair was a new fan clutch, then new calipers on all four corners, then the egr and oil coolers went. Once we paid $4000 to have egr and oil coolers fixed the turbo went at which point I traded it out on a 2008 Duramax in sig and have had zero issues. We spent close to $8000 in repairs on the 6.0.

If you do.purchase the truck put a Scan Gauge on it to monitor your oil temp and set aside several grand to have it bullet proofed.

I think the OP is asking about 5th wheels not trucks. Yes Chevy makes a Sierra but they don't make a Sandpiper.:)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2006 6.0 in 2011 with less the 100000 miles. First two months loved the truck. The first repair was a new fan clutch, then new calipers on all four corners, then the egr and oil coolers went. Once we paid $4000 to have egr and oil coolers fixed the turbo went at which point I traded it out on a 2008 Duramax in sig and have had zero issues. We spent close to $8000 in repairs on the 6.0.

If you do.purchase the truck put a Scan Gauge on it to monitor your oil temp and set aside several grand to have it bullet proofed.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The only difference between the Sierra and Sandpiper are the colors. All features and options are the same. We've had both and overall have been pleased with the units.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry, can't help choose between trailers. I will say, I can't imagine two couples living/traveling together in the confines of one RV. You may want to rethink this plan.

Jerry