cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smaller High Quality Fifth Bunkhouse

fordtch8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I would like to draw on the knowledge of the group and see if anyone has any recommendations for fifth wheels that I have not seen. For the last two years our family has owned a Crusader 298BHD bunkhouse. This is our second rig. The first was a non bunkhouse Arctic Fox travel trailer. Unfortunately during our ownership of the Crusder, I have not been impressed with the build quality. The kitchen trim quality seems to be poor and it seems like every time we go out I have to fix something. We recently saw a Grand Design 28BH and are thinking of upgrading to it. We are looking for a higher quality fifth wheel bunkhouse, shorter in overall length (30-35 feet), with a separate bunk room, a side bath (not walk through), and a separate master bedroom. Does anyone know of any other models we should look at? Thanks

Possible Grand Design Purchase

Current Crusader
2007 F350 6.0 PSD Crew cab 8 Foot Bed

2013 Crusader 298BHD
22 REPLIES 22

fordtch8
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
The Grand Design reflection 28bh is the one that suited our needs the best and this is what we ordered.

How was your ordering experience through Grand Design? One of the things I don't like about our current Crusader is that the cold weather performance leaves a lot be desired. I'm thinking of ordering the 28BH with dual pane windows. How long did it take you to receive your fifth once you ordered? Do you think you were still able to get a good price ordering?

2013 Crusader 298BHD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fordtch8 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I think the bunkhouse needs to be large enough that the kids have room to hang out vs. just enough room for sleeping.
A larger bunkhouse gives the kids a pace to hang out and call their own.
When the kids have their own space, the adults can have their own space as well. In the end a space that you can retreat to and call your own when needed enhances the camping experience for everyone.

I agree in a lot respects. My problem is we camp in a wide variety of places. Everywhere from large commercial campgrounds at the beach to backwoods rural state parks. The large commercial campgrounds can usually handle a 40+ footer, but the smaller state parks sometimes even our current size is limitation. I understand that no RV is ever perfect in every regard, but I am just trying to strike the best balance I can for our uses.

While I generally am able to get a site wherever I go.
I'm a do it all camper as well, commercial CG's, state parks, COE, a few marinas, and we occasionally boondock with generator. I agree being a little smaller would give me access to more sites at some state parks. Occasionally there are only a few sites large enough to fit my 39' rig.
Nevertheless I do not feel the need to go smaller. Regardless of the site, we always have ample room inside the RV that we can spread out somewhat...LOL
Another size issue to be aware of is the size of the beds.Some beds can be small. Teenage kids can quickly outgrow the size of the beds in some models. Some bunks are close to the ceiling as well. Your kid may think they joined the Navy and are sleeping in a submarine.:)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

akin2camp
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good luck with our Rockwood 8301ws. It has been rock solid. Separate bunk house with a half bath with outside access.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=211&ModelID=3332#Main
2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD
2017 Rockwood 8301WS

fordtch8
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I think the bunkhouse needs to be large enough that the kids have room to hang out vs. just enough room for sleeping.
When the kids have their own space, the adults can have their own space as well. In the end a space that you can retreat to and call your own when needed enhances the camping experience for everyone.

I agree in a lot respects. My problem is we camp in a wide variety of places. Everywhere from large commercial campgrounds at the beach to backwoods rural state parks. The large commercial campgrounds can usually handle a 40+ footer, but the smaller state parks sometimes even our current size is limitation. I understand that no RV is ever perfect in every regard, but I am just trying to strike the best balance I can for our uses.

2013 Crusader 298BHD

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on a long search for a smaller fifth wheel bunkhouse since we have 3 kids. My initial thought was to buy a grand design momentum 328m toy hauler, but my wife didn't like the idea of the kids sleeping in the garage. Also the 16,000 pound gross vehicle weight would have require that uptake a Class A non-commercial license. Another requirement was that the trailer have larger gray and freshwater tanks. The Grand Design reflection 28bh is the one that suited our needs the best and this is what we ordered.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any recommendations but would like to point out that a lot of RV owners experience problems for the first few years they own a brand new unit. It seems to go in cycles.... 2 - 3 years of problems and then 5 years with no problems, then 1-2 years of problems and 5 years of no problems and so on...

Plus higher end RVs usually mean heavier weights so you want to make sure your truck has the capacity to tow the trailers you are considering.

We tend to buy mid-priced RVs and have been satisfied with each one. Our TT was 16 years old with only a few minor problems over the years. We sold it to upgrade to our current 22 year old 37ft 5th wheel. There were quality control issues when we first got it but once those were fixed we didn't have any issues until at the 10 year mark; the refrigerator coil unit need to be replaced. Then the AC unit died a year later...

Our first two RVs were used when we bought them, the original owners were happy with them and were upgrading. Both of these had the usual wear and tear problems for the few years we owned them. Neither of these were high end units.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Consider Highland ridge 295BHS. Similar floorplan to the GD 1000# lighter.
I don't think they make an RV that won't require constant tinkering and fixing. Ongoing maintaining is part of the RV game.
Have you considered units with larger bunkhouses? I think the bunkhouse needs to be large enough that the kids have room to hang out vs. just enough room for sleeping.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
One brand that you may want to check is K-Z.
Smaller name, 2 year warranty, and you dont hear many complaints on them. There are some small bunk units like you mentioned in their Durango lines. And they are available on the east coast.