cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spring hanger reinforcing

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I remember seeing a post/thread with pictures of a kit that someone makes that ties the spring hangers together for strength. I've searched various combinations of reinforcing, spring hangers, etc. and not found it, anyone remember where it is? My frame is cracked right above all the hangers and I'm going to weld it up and gusset around the hangers but I think this would stiffen up things much better.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX
9 REPLIES 9

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to design something and add it like suggested between all 3, would be nice to see what Lippert does. I don't want to weld anything in there because I'm afraid I won't be able to remove my fresh water tank (it's one 150 gallon monster and it has a leak that I need to fix). So need to be bolt ins.

We're fixing the cracks today and adding some gussets on the outside of the frame. Probably won't get to the cross tubes today though.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I used C channel welded across the front of the front hangers and rear of the back hangers (on my old RV). That completely stopped the breaks.

I like this idea as it gives strength to both the inside and outside of the hanger!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used C channel welded across the front of the front hangers and rear of the back hangers (on my old RV). That completely stopped the breaks.

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I just weld in 1.75x.083" tubes between hangers on all the ones that come into the shop. 20' stick usually does tandem axle.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

Bedlam
Lippert created a kit to fix weakness in their frames. I'm not sure if they were just part of a recall or whether you could buy them.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
interesting that this kit just goes between the center hanger, not the front/rear hangers, that's where mine is cracking.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. will use this as a guide/template and fab. something myself.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Didn't know there was a kit.....interesting 'rjxj'

What I have seen is 2" square tube cut to fit and welded between opposing spring hangers and welding a plate across spring hanger (closing up hanger into a 3 sided one)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31