cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SRW 3500 2WD vs 4WD

pjberny5
Explorer
Explorer
Deciding if I should purchase a 2WD or 4WD SWR 3500 but need a little advice from those of you who have a 2WD or have had both. Total 5th wheel weight loaded is around 13,500 so do not need a dually and the SWR fits in my garage The other factor is the price. Can buy a 2WD this time of year for 5-6 thousand less than a 4WD.
83 REPLIES 83

TransFueler
Explorer
Explorer
This is like those "what speed do you tow" threads: Those folks going faster than me are dang fools. Those folks going slower than me are idiots...

Lot's of anecdotal, and often irrelevant opinions; Folks stating no one uses their RV's in winter. Flatlanders in Texas who never see a slippery back road. SoCal desert rats who wouldn't think of venturing out in a 2WD. Etc...

You're an idiot of you don't have 4WD. You're a dang fool of you do have 4WD...

If you think you need or simply want 4WD, get it. In reality, it really doesn't materially affect towing capacity, etc. If the slightly reduced fuel mileage, or slightly higher maintenance cost is really a factor, you should probably be driving a Prius...

I happen to own two light pickups, one 2WD & one 4WD. Does that make me an idiot, a fool or a genius?

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
Not reading the whole thread, but for moving an RV in 4Wd territory, or pulling a wheel up on a Trailer Aid, 4WD makes life easier.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
Man, those pictures make me glad I moved from Ohio (where I spent 22 years) back to southeast Texas!! My trucks and RVs have never seen snow and ice (and the associated salt) and never will if I can help it.

Rusty

Well in Oregon they don't use salt, gravel and plow. One other thing to keep in mind the colder the conditions the better the traction. I learned to drive on snow that falls at 34 to 30 degrees. VERY wet, can be very slippery, something about water and ice together.
Once below about 28 degrees, it is much dryer, and at about 20 degrees, not much worse than wet roads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Man, those pictures make me glad I moved from Ohio (where I spent 22 years) back to southeast Texas!! My trucks and RVs have never seen snow and ice (and the associated salt) and never will if I can help it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
rkassl wrote:
Just purchasing a 2016 GMC with 4WD. Trading off a 4WD, salesman said that in our area a truck without 4WD is not marketable. That said who ever pulls in 4WD?

You just had to ask didn't you!:S

Yes,'I will tow in 4X4 when the need arises!

Reasons for 4wd IMHO are, wife calls it's dusk and she is stuck in a road that turned to sand I explained how to turn on 4low and she drove out no problem, true story. Foothills outside of PalmSprings no cell coverage gravel road turns to sand bogged down turned on 4w drove right thru. Would have been stuck miles from a road no one else around, true story. Place in 4low when backing up a steep hill or banking up on blocking several inches thick to get the rv level.

Ease of sale later also well worth 4wd. If you are using the weight difference as an excuse not to get 4wd then a bigger truck is in order.

The thing with snow and ice, is not to fear it, BUT to RESPECT IT!! Know your limits and your rigs limits. Drive at a safe speed, maintain a good following distance, both Cummins and our pictures you see that we allow plenty of distance to react.

Yes, my biggest fear is the other driver, but deal with that as necessary.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Timay wrote:
rkassl wrote:
That said who ever pulls in 4WD?
LOL! Only those getting themselves out of a quagmire! Maybe - what - a quarter mile?

Tim

I do, going down a dirt road for several miles to our annual boondock site. Even small washboards, which can cause an unloaded truck to dance like Bojangles, will make my truck "walk" a bit in the corners while towing. Using 4wd, takes this completely out. I'm talking at speeds of 15-30 mph, max. I also use 4LO on a stretch of somewhat rocky road, about 200 yards long, just so I can creep over it without rocking things. I also had to use it in a gravel campground down in Mexico, when a trailer wheel dropped into a slight hole. That pea gravel just gave me no traction; popped it into 4wd and out she came. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
avvidclif1 wrote:
RHAGFO....Don't need it. You won't EVER find me in that situation. I know how to check the weather, drive further south, or don't move.

Living in the NW you just deal with the card as they are played to you. Proper equipment will allow you to go where you want and when you want within reason.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
rkassl wrote:
Just purchasing a 2016 GMC with 4WD. Trading off a 4WD, salesman said that in our area a truck without 4WD is not marketable. That said who ever pulls in 4WD?

Reasons for 4wd IMHO are, wife calls it's dusk and she is stuck in a road that turned to sand I explained how to turn on 4low and she drove out no problem, true story. Foothills outside of PalmSprings no cell coverage gravel road turns to sand bogged down turned on 4w drove right thru. Would have been stuck miles from a road no one else around, true story. Place in 4low when backing up a steep hill or banking up on blocking several inches thick to get the rv level.

Ease of sale later also well worth 4wd. If you are using the weight difference as an excuse not to get 4wd then a bigger truck is in order.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
RHAGFO....Don't need it. You won't EVER find me in that situation. I know how to check the weather, drive further south, or don't move.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rkassl wrote:

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
pjberny5 wrote:
Deciding if I should purchase a 2WD or 4WD SWR 3500 but need a little advice from those of you who have a 2WD or have had both. Total 5th wheel weight loaded is around 13,500 so do not need a dually and the SWR fits in my garage The other factor is the price. Can buy a 2WD this time of year for 5-6 thousand less than a 4WD.

While I've never owned or needed 4wd for towing since '89, clearly other RVers have different needs or desires that have been stated. But if what you say is true, your real question is this, 'is 4WD worth $5k more?' That is a huge price difference and extremely hard to justify the benefit. That difference is like saying ' I'd rather spend $5-6K for 4WD for miscellaneous needs than a similar amount for a diesel option that benefits every single towing mile.' For that price, I'll take the diesel every time. Oh, yeah that is what I did.:B
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
That said who ever pulls in 4WD?
LOL! Only those getting themselves out of a quagmire! Maybe - what - a quarter mile?

Tim

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have a 4WD, it's a good idea to have front tow hooks installed. It will make it much easier to hook up when you need to get towed out. No need to ask how I know...I drive a 2WD...with the front tow hooks.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed