2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
45 REPLIES 45

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:
ST's are not tested to the same standard as LT particularly with regards to speed. All of the ST's I could find were made in China and they do not have a good reputation.

Maxxis is not made in China.

Maxxis tires *ARE* manufactured in:

China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam..:S

By Cheng Shin Rubber Co., HQ'd in Taiwan.

~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lowsuv wrote:

On OEM trailers 99 % of the time the tire rating ( times 4 ) is the gross vehicle rating for the axle GVW placarded on the trailer .
Tires are the weakest link 99 % of the time .

This is not true on many trailers. If a manufacturer has a train car load of ST235/80R16E tires and rims from Tredit or Tireco, they install those on many trailers with 5200 and 6K axles also. The GAWR will reflect the axle capability not the higher tire rating. The placard will read ST235/80R16E rated to 3420 @80, but the GAWR will be 5200 or 6000, or less in each case if they want.

This is the real catch twenty two situation that many are in, as the marketing of ST tires has gotten retail tire shops convinced that they can then only install another cheaply made ST tire at that rating.

No one has produced a law that starts that! Just documents that say "should", but not "must"!

There is a lot of confusion between what must happen at original sale and what a consumer can do after a purchase. Those that market the cheaply made ST tires try to push what must happen at original sale onto those that need or want replacement tires after the purchase.

Additional, many manufacturers are building trailers to the highly inflated ratings of ST tires. Keystone routinely derated 7K axles to 6750 so they could push the trailers out the door on ST tires rated to 3420 each, giving a full 90 pounds of extra capacity per axle. A trailer can easily be out of balance left to right on an axle or between the axles more than that amount.

These are trailers that are screaming for LRG tires. However Goodyear for years has held the price of their G614 LRG tire above what trailer manufacturers are willing to purchase. And trailers where equipped with wheels rated to only 80 lbs. Enter Sailun with the S637 LRG all steel ply tire with a price point and quality that is affordable. Gladiator also has a QR35-TR(AS) {AS=All Steel} that is fairly priced. Note that they also have a QR35-TR that is a poly carcass tire, so watch for which one you purcase.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
RASwift wrote:
Goodyear posts that in "selected sizes" they add the nylon cap. In all the sizes I have had to deal with I've not seen one with the nylon.
Do you use the actual load rating limits if you are using LT tires?

Yes
The placarded weight rating on the sidewall of an LT tire should be the actual load rating limit assuming you run them at the maximum psi shown on the tire sidewall .
In most cases the axle weight rating and the wheel weight rating are higher than the tire rating .
On OEM trailers 99 % of the time the tire rating ( times 4 ) is the gross vehicle rating for the axle GVW placarded on the trailer .
Tires are the weakest link 99 % of the time .
RV wheel manufacturers list their weight rating to coincide with the maximum tire rating at the maximum PSI rating for the OEM tire .
Steel RV wheels are not placarded for PSI in 99 % of the cases .
Some steel RV wheels may have a placarded weight rating , but not a PSI rating .

RASwift
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear posts that in "selected sizes" they add the nylon cap. In all the sizes I have had to deal with I've not seen one with the nylon.
Do you use the actual load rating limits if you are using LT tires?

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer

This is what waiting to replace my tires did to my trailer 3 weeks ago. Had a TPMS on at the time and the tread just came off.The tire deflated shortly after I stopped. I noticed the tread flying immediately and pulled off the road. Total flop time was no more than a minute. Damage is cosmetic, but ugly none the less. The Trail Express Power Touring oem tires were replaced the next day. The manufacture date was July 2011 and only 3500 miles. No way should anyone ever trust these tire.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Is that the Goodyear Nylon cap we see? Chris

No, that is the body ply - likely polyester.

That tire does not have a cap ply.

"From: goodyear_cr@goodyear.com on 10/18/2012 02:41 PM

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

The nylon overlay was added to the Marathon trailer tire's construction
many years ago.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations"

Think Circle S silent recall time frame!!!!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Is that the Goodyear Nylon cap we see? Chris

No, that is the body ply - likely polyester.

That tire does not have a cap ply.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RASwift wrote:
What you are seeing on the shoulder on that tire is the ply. The main problem with ST tires are none of them have the "nylon cap" that every other tire on the road uses now post "Firestone Fiasco". That cap keeps the belts from separating.

The Nylon cap was added to the GY Marathon years ago and to the PowerKing TowMax and Carlisle Radial Trail RH in recent years. It did not " fix " the Marathon and jury may be still out on the others. I believe the TowMax is still having issues.

Michelin does NOT claim a Nylon cap on the highly regarded XPS Rib, however the Duravis R250 has one.

Nylon cap is NOT a good hat rack. Chris

RASwift
Explorer
Explorer
What you are seeing on the shoulder on that tire is the ply. The main problem with ST tires are none of them have the "nylon cap" that every other tire on the road uses now post "Firestone Fiasco". That cap keeps the belts from separating.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
So this goofball does a video and does NOT compare EQUAL size tires or even all new tires .
The tires used were not equal in size or age .
Why compare a used P tire to the new Load Range E ST tire ?
To make his visual point , of course .
The guy in the video used the largest highest capacity ST tire for his comparison !
And a smaller LT tire and P tire .
He used an ST 235/80 R 16 load range E tire to compare to a smaller LT 225/75R16 tire in his example .
He did not show a sidewall flex test for the LT tire .
He skipped right over that .
And he used a completely used up P tire for his sidewall flex grab for the P tire .
I discovered this by correlating the sidewall weight rating for each tire in his comparison .
Further , this bozo did not understand that an ST tire has a considerably lower threshold to meet its standard .
That is why the ST tire confusion continues except for the motorheads who take the time to research the subject .
For proof :
The only ST tire placarded at 3420# on the sidewall is the ST235/80R16 load range E . "For Trailer Use Only "
The only LT tire placarded at 2680 # is the LT 225/75R16 load range E . No restriction.
There are several sizes of P tires that are placarded at 2403 # such as the tires that fit a Honda Civic CRX .
So this Trailer Life goofball does a video and does not compare equal size tires or even all new tires .
This is deception at its best .

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
He never did explain what a tar was. But he kept pointing at tires.

Who?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
He never did explain what a tar was. But he kept pointing at tires.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:
ST's are not tested to the same standard as LT particularly with regards to speed. All of the ST's I could find were made in China and they do not have a good reputation.

Tiawan

Most of the M8008ST's come from a plant in Thailand! Chris

And they are a good ST tire....not as good as an LT tire but a good tire none the less.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:

Tiawan

Most of the M8008ST's come from a plant in Thailand! Chris