cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Kitchen Sink Problem

bren99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a double kitchen sink in my fifth wheel. If I run water in the sink it will not drain. I have let it sit a couple days and I look and the water is gone. If I run water again, it will not drain out. I have tried everything for sink clogs, used a snake and nothing happens or changes.

Has anyone run across this before? The sink is either clogged or it isn't, so why does it suddenly drain all the water out?

I need my sink back! Any ideas?

As a side note, my bathroom sink and shower drain fine.
23 REPLIES 23

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
bren99 wrote:
I have a double kitchen sink in my fifth wheel.

So does either sink drain, or neither? Do you have the "stopper" removed/loose in the sink that has no water in it? Each sink should vent through the other sink's open drain.
magic43

ChrisMatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I think for such issue calling drain cleaning service providers would be best option, as they they have full knowledge about the process and the problem. Many reputable businesses offer
drain cleaning service
at very affordable prices. They may also help you with other problems other than a clogged sink.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
bren99 wrote:
Am looking for the air admittance device. Not sure what I am looking for.

Air admittance valve.

Home Depot has them also.
Barney

Your P trap will connect to a vertical drain line...on top of that drain line is where the Air admittance valve usually is.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
bren99 wrote:

Air admittance valve.

Home Depot has them also.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bren99
Explorer
Explorer

greende
Explorer
Explorer
So, did you ever look for an Air Admittance device under the sink as suggested previously? Usually in RVs they are black. It takes the place of the roof mounted vent. Sounds like it is sticking shut. Replacements can be found at Big Box or Ace Hardware.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

bren99
Explorer
Explorer
Okay. I'm back. Thank you for all the ideas and posts. I don't have a sink roof vent. I had to get a friend to get up on the roof for me. I am unable to so that. So I was back to find more answers which I see I have gotten. I will continue to look for the vens ubder the sink. I have my gray tank open all the time and no, I don't have a galley gray tank, I checked.

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
I blew up the galley tank on mine, didn't realize the galley had it's own gray tank, expensive lesson

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did it used to drain OK before?

Like others have said. Vent plugged or insufficient venting.
Does the galley have a separate gray tank that needs to be emptied?
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Take your drain apart under the sink. Now you can clean all that junk out of the pipe and it will drain fine.

This is pretty easy to do and will fix your problem.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
How would you know it suddenly drains out unless you sit there and watch it? I must be missing something.

Mine drains about as fast as you add water. When removing drain plug it drains in a few seconds. No need to stand and watch it.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
So, if the galley tank is full as some suggest how and why would it eventually drain over night if there is no where for the water to go?
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike Taverniti wrote:
Find your mechanical plumbing vent, usually at kitchen sink or bathroom sink. $ 6 at Lowes.
Problem solved

Halmfamily wrote:
If it's in an island there is an air vent under the sink. Remove that and see if it works. If it does go to Home Depot and purchase a new one. Good luck.

momentum rv wrote:
AAV (air admittance valve) under the sink if not working sink won't drain properly

^^^^^Check this first!

Except that you state it drains after a couple days. Do you have a separate Galley tank, have you drained it?

Last would be the roof vent, mostly blocked, (mud wasps).
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Does the sink drain ok if you try slowly running water into it when empty vs. trying to drain a full sink full of water? That might help determine if it is a vent pipe problem. You say you took apart the drain pipe but did you try running a snake through the pipe and into the holding tank to see if there is a clog in the portion you did not take apart? Usually, about all you can take apart is the trap so that leaves a lot of pipe between there and the tank that could be clogged. If it is not clogged then it has to be a vent issue.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL