cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange Kitchen Sink Problem

bren99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a double kitchen sink in my fifth wheel. If I run water in the sink it will not drain. I have let it sit a couple days and I look and the water is gone. If I run water again, it will not drain out. I have tried everything for sink clogs, used a snake and nothing happens or changes.

Has anyone run across this before? The sink is either clogged or it isn't, so why does it suddenly drain all the water out?

I need my sink back! Any ideas?

As a side note, my bathroom sink and shower drain fine.
23 REPLIES 23

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, maybe a dumb question but I've seen this topic go around RV message boards too many times with people smacking their heads once they learn - you don't have a separate galley gray tank do you?

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
AAV (air admittance valve) under the sink if not working sink won't drain properly
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
When was the last time the gray water tank was emptied?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If it's in an island there is an air vent under the sink. Remove that and see if it works. If it does go to Home Depot and purchase a new one. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Find your mechanical plumbing vent, usually at kitchen sink or bathroom sink. $ 6 at Lowes.
Problem solved

bren99
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking it might have something to do with something like that- air lock but had no idea what to look for. I will try the roof vent thing. Will let you know.

2oldman- No, I didn't sit and watch it continuously. Suddenly may be a poor choice of words, but I would look at it one minute, the sink is a quarter full of water and a half an hour later I would look and the sink would be empty. And yes, I did take apart the drainpipe. Thank you for your input.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does trying everything include disassembling the drain pipe?
bren99 wrote:
I have let it sit a couple days and I look and the water is gone....The sink is either clogged or it isn't, so why does it suddenly drain all the water out?
How would you know it suddenly drains out unless you sit there and watch it? I must be missing something.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
lovetotow wrote:
Maybe your sink roof vent is clogged causing an air lock

X2.Try running some water down the roof vent to clear any clog.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your sink roof vent is clogged causing an air lock
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4
2011 cruiser 32bl 5th wheel