cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for reinforcing sofa of a sofa bed

jserv61
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new fifth wheel last year. The love seat/ bed sinks when you sit in it due to the gap between the cushions and bed underneath. I have tried packing sleeping bags on top of the folded bed and under the sofa cushions, but then it's lumpy. Does anyone have any suggestions.
12 REPLIES 12

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
The sofa bed in my fifth wheel was horrible and I tried everything.

When traveling back from an assignment, I went under a low bridge and totaled the trailer. Now I have a new trailer with a great sofa bed.:S

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I had the SAME thing happen to mine. It's not just the need to reinforcing it it is the whole darn workmanship of the whole frame from the manufacturing.

Called a Mobile RV repair guy. Said he sees this happen all the time.

His Fix?

Well he took the whole couch out and showed me all the cheap thin particle board that holds these couches up and attached to the wall. Most was split and just shredded. Screwed with screws way too short etc etc.

He ripped it all out and He built me a frame with 2x4's and screwed it back together with screws the correct length.

Couch was like brand new and even sat up higher and opened an closed better than when I bought it.

Whole thing took about an hour or so and the repair bill was so cheap I gave the guy a bonus!

My advice is Call Mobile RV repair they see this cheap workmanship the manufactures use over and over again and know how to fix it. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
laknox wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
Agree on the plywood. A sheet of 3/4" A-grade plywood under the cushions makes for a VERY "butt-friendly" seating surface.

Carry a couple folding saw horses and you've got a spare dining/gaming table, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Is a portable bar. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sure; just the right height for training the kids to mix drinks. :B:B:B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
Agree on the plywood. A sheet of 3/4" A-grade plywood under the cushions makes for a VERY "butt-friendly" seating surface.

Carry a couple folding saw horses and you've got a spare dining/gaming table, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Or a portable bar. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
A piece of plywood does wonders.

On my list to do. I have heard that is the way to go many times. I plan to replace the foam in the seats with some QUALITY foam.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Stefonius wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

jserv61
Explorer
Explorer
Plywood sounds like a good idea.thank you.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
we used blankets folded up evenly inside the folds of the mattress. Worked very well

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A piece of plywood does wonders.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe measure/cut a piece of 3" memory foam?
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How about adding those honeycomb panels or at worst a piece of plywood? Don't know where to buy the honeycomb's however.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)