cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sulphur Smell .....Epilogue

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
We have a sulfer smell when we open the door during the days ride.
Here are the facts. Noticed the smell about the 4th day out. Only occurs after we have been moving. Spent the last two night in Edmonton and noticed it when we got there as well as at stops durning the day. Smelled nothing while unhooked for two days. Smell is in the kitchen area where the sink, stove, fridge, and hot water heater are located. I thought it might be a gas leak so I disconnected gas at tanks....no joy still smells. Plus the propane dector in that same area has not gone off so I don't think it is gas. The fridge is the only thing that runs on gas during travel and I doubt it runs very much. We did go through a few frog choker storms and there is a exhaust vent right above this area. I've tried everything and every place to look and now I turn to my fellow travelers to "find the smell"
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"
36 REPLIES 36

71stang99
Explorer
Explorer
the valve location depends on the trailer, on my 2011 TH it was under the bathroom sink. In the 2012 model I have its under the kitchen sink. There was a post on here a few days back with the improved valve linked to a Home Depot site. I think I'll get it on order or pick one up as Ive noticed the smell already in this trailer however its getting 100+ out and dumping the gray tanks every few days helps and I put a odor tablet in the gray tanks also. If its the black tanks I read on the odor bottle to add two if needed due to heat.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim4929 wrote:
battery..., all seems normal
Then I'd have to go with the black tank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, there is a very strong possibility that your battery(s) are cooking off. Check your battery water level. Wear eye protection.

Just checked the battery, all seems normal with the water levels under both caps at full levels.
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when you drive down the road, the water in the pee traps splashes out and the smell is coming from you grey tank.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim4929 wrote:
X2 on Clancy's vacuum breaker under the sink. The rubber flap sticks and lets the grey tank vent into the trailer.

The smell is coming from that general area. Can you give me more of an idea where it is located and what it looks like.

Looking at the sink drain pipe there is a leg that goes up with a black pvc cap on top, that cap is the vacuum breaker- it unscrews and the new one screws on.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater needs to be drained
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RedAce
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, there is a very strong possibility that your battery(s) are cooking off. Check your battery water level. Wear eye protection.

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
Have you followed cars, especially going up a hill, and smelled the sulfur smell from their exhausts? That would make me think that your TV exhaust may be collecting in the trailer. Just a thought.

I drove the same setup 8000 miles last summer and 1500 miles in Feb-March and no issues. But the smell you describe is what hits us in the face when we open the door.
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Have you followed cars, especially going up a hill, and smelled the sulfur smell from their exhausts? That would make me think that your TV exhaust may be collecting in the trailer. Just a thought.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Sulphur smell, LPG low? Battery fluid level low?

Lakeside

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Clancy's vacuum breaker under the sink. The rubber flap sticks and lets the grey tank vent into the trailer.

The smell is coming from that general area. Can you give me more of an idea where it is located and what it looks like.
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer will have a smell after traveling sometimes. I flush the tanks and all is good again.

No smell when not moving ever.

Paul

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
The smell in my FW come from the water heater.I let the hot water run for 4-5 minute and the smell go away.I need to flush the water heater again.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"