cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer in Phoenix in a fifth-wheel? Has anyone done it?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine is thinking of selling his park model and moving into a fiver. Wondering how much A/C it would take to keep it cool. If he could be comfortable physically if he stayed. He's looking at about a 28 footer I think. He would keep it here and not move it. I'm thinking a ceiling A/C and a window unit or a portable A/C inside might do the trick. Thought I'd try to find people who have done it.

I added a 2nd unit to my fifth-wheel before coming here in October. It made such a difference. I was comfortable in 90 degree temps and think I would have done fairly well with 100. It's the 120 I'm wondering about. Anyone done that? What does it take to keep comfortable in that? I realize the units will be running day and night.
23 REPLIES 23

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
Phoenix is Summer. Not recommended. Check out Prescott as a compromise. We have a house at Lake Havasu. Similar temps as Phoenix. I think it was two years ago it hit 126!!!! Avoid it if at all possible.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

Mtwoodson
Explorer
Explorer
Hell, we lived there in a house and the summer heat finally drove us out in 2010. We had 100 consecutive days when the temperature did not drop below 100 degrees. It'll take a lot of electricity and insulation to stay cool in a fifth wheel. Tell him to go north.
Mtwoodson
Save the whales..., collect the whole set

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first thought is that the rig may not be insulated enough for the high summer temps, some days it will be 120F.

And 30A power may be marginal for 2 ACs. ACs in that heat will run 24/7 which means sustained use. 30A power should not exceed 80% or 24V sustained. Basically he will likely want a second power source for one ACs or 50A.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

sheff69
Explorer
Explorer
I spent July and August of 2013 in Las Vegas, it was consistently running between 115-118F during the day.
I had both ACs running full time (15,000 btu living area, and 13,500 btu bedroom), and I had to install aluminum backed windshield shades in all the windows to keep the inside tolerable.
It still got up to about 78-80F inside during the day, but at night it went down to 70F, which was what I set the thermostats to.
I must admit, I only have single pane windows, but the windshield shades made all the difference. Without them, you couldn't sit near a window, even with the blinds down.

Sheff
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD 6 speed auto, 4.10 rear axle, 800 ft. lbs TQ.
30,000# GCVWR.
2011 Carriage Cameo 37RESLS, Kodiak Disks, 17.5" wheels, GY G114 tires, 17,500#.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
I'd highly recommend going north a bit to Flagstaff or Williams for the summer!

Rusty
I would second that and a carport type cover to keep the sun off.

If the person does not have a truck I would look at a apartment or residence inn type motel suite.

One summer i had to spend a week in 110 degree temps. I parked under a shade tree and the A/C ran non stop from early morning until well after dark. I kept a fan going as well, I was able to maintain 75 degrees in a 23 foot trailer.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I'd highly recommend going north a bit to Flagstaff or Williams for the summer!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the proper question is "Has anyone done it more than once?" ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d put it under a cover ,like a car port.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Phoenix in June 2012, it was 112. I would not want to do it again. Of course, there are people that live in their rv's there. My comment is that I would not want to be there in anything other than a quality unit, I mean insulation. Rv's are not air tight and those with little insulation do not hold the heat or cool.