cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey: How often do you chock your wheels?

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a campground in Kansas that was as flat as a billiard table, and my neighbor had all four trailer wheels chocked front and back. I thought this was overkill and it prompted my to ask this question: When do you chock your wheels?

a) Every time without fail
b) Only if I am parked on a noticeable slope
c) Never

Personally, my answer is b.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
84 REPLIES 84

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
A few have said they don't chock when it's flat. Please keep in mind there's a difference between flat and level. That "flat" sight may surprise you one day.

Visit one of those "crazy" houses sometime. The way they arrange the visual references you'll swear you're seeing water flow uphill.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
Always the first thing I do before unhooking.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wheel chocks

FIRST thing ON

LAST thing OFF
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
To clarify my never statement. In the year I have owned this RV I have not chocked. If I some day end up on much of a slope I will. But I don't chock for no reason.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
To take the trailer off the ball you have to have something supporting the hitch. It has to be either ground or a block of something. You wouldn't undo your safety chains until the hitch plate hits something solid.

I guess it would be interesting to see how many times someone has seen a trailer roll away. I've never seen that happen.

I only do it on a slope.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Some are overstating the issue a bit, in my opinion. Which is fine, great in fact, always better to be safe.

Fivers are not easily rolled though. After all, you've got about 25 percent of the weight on dead skids. And the heavier they are, the more difficult to get one rolling. I chock, as I said above. Just adding a little reason to the discussion.

You'd be surprised how easily the front jacks move on rain-soaked boards or on mud. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. That's why I ALWAYS chock.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I chock every time I unhook. Although the landing gear will support the front end it's not made for front to back motion or side to side. Plus when hooking up sometimes the hitch is cantankerous and takes a harder nudge than normal. Guess what is keeping it from moving if it's not chocked. I don't use the yellow plastic junk. I bought some of the commercial grade rubber ones from Northern Tool. Same as I used on my big rig.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everytime I unhook. Without fail. Site could be perfectly level, and I still chock. Even in my driveway.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Some are overstating the issue a bit, in my opinion. Which is fine, great in fact, always better to be safe.

Fivers are not easily rolled though. After all, you've got about 25 percent of the weight on dead skids. And the heavier they are, the more difficult to get one rolling. I chock, as I said above. Just adding a little reason to the discussion.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired Fire Captain, I defer to my years of preaching to the firemen. If it is not in the engine house, chock the wheels front and back of at least one wheel. On a steep hill, we would chock two wheels. My men would ask why. I told them it is a good habit to always chock. That way you get uses to doing things right and have no accidents involving chocks. Always set 'em and you never forget 'em. If an engineer left a chock unset or on the ground, it was ice cream for the crew.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer sits perfectly level on the 2x2 concrete patio stones, backed tighly up against the 4x4 "stop" that is pinned behind the rear patio stones.

There is a wheel chock in front of both wheels, essentially chocking the front and back of each wheel. :B

When "travelling" I typically chock front and back of the wheel that did NOT require a leveling device placed under it.

I don't know about you "never" crowd....but I sleep in that free wheeling box. If this was posted in the class A forum, I could see setting the brakes and climbing in to bed. It was NOT, so why would you not chock a box that has the potential to roll :h

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If on a any slope yes. If its flat no.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Group A for me. If you've ever had a 5th wheel start rolling backwards while hitching or unhitching, you'll understand why. That happened to me on our first long trip with a 5th wheel back in 1996. Lesson learned!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RRinNFla wrote:
I was in a campground in Kansas that was as flat as a billiard table, and my neighbor had all four trailer wheels chocked front and back. I thought this was overkill and it prompted my to ask this question: When do you chock your wheels?

a) Every time without fail
b) Only if I am parked on a noticeable slope
c) Never

Personally, my answer is b.

Every time, though I use only 2 pair and chock between the wheels. Any thing else is overkill, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
greende wrote:
I always chock. Especially after a memorable incident where I thought the 5er was level enough and when I pulled the lever, it rolled back.....

Yep, it is amazing the effect of visual reference has on ones perception of LEVEL! Unless you have a 8' level to double check, I would chock.
To those of you in the "B" group wait until you have one of those WTF moments!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"