cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TH Ramp Door Problem

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
As background, we have full-timed in our 380TH since August of 2014 and have probably unloaded and loaded our Goldwing 150 times. The chock is in the center so the bike is always run up and down the center of the ramp door. I've previously noticed some softness running down the top center of the door, but in unloading recently discovered that it was much much softer than before. Today after unloading my wife was walking up the ramp and there was noticeable flexing along the top center section. It feels firm once you get past a 6"-9" from each side of center and about 3' down from the top of the ramp, so the entire door does not appear to be affected. Once I secured the door closed, I also pushed on the exterior and the softness can again be felt in the same general area as well. It's obvious that the foam in the bond has broken down in that area.

I contacted LCI who makes the door for Grand Design (and many other Toy Haulers and trailers) asking if there was any repair advice. They, of course, told me the door needed to be replaced ($1832 + $800 shipping + who knows for ancillary parts, plus whatever someone would charge to install it). I'm currently using a temp 24" x 60" piece of 3/4" plywood I had from another project when I load/unload the bike. Before I drop 3 bills on a new one, has anyone else experienced this AND come up with a suitable repair that they have confidence in? I know I cannot be the only one this has happened to.

Thanks in advance.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)
12 REPLIES 12

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
never gave it a second thought; loaded my Wing a couple of times, rode it right in and out.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
Check with Challenger as someone already gave you the link to them but when I load my bike I lay a 7'x 2' pc of alum tread plate down to spread out the weight some.

Challenger is on my list to do. Good idea on the tread plate. Do you attach it someway or does it have a nonslip surface on the bottom?

No attachment, I just lay it on the door and let the frame at the bot of ramp, when open, hold it from sliding. You could attach it I guess but that would make the door heavier to open and close. I usually just slide it in under or between the bikes after they are loaded.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

DynoDragn
Explorer
Explorer
Ramp door

Saw this while browsing if anyone is interested. Says free shipping and has the patio kit.
2016 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7
2015 XLR Nitro
2012 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch 6.7
2013 Landmark San Antonio

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Check with Challenger as someone already gave you the link to them but when I load my bike I lay a 7'x 2' pc of alum tread plate down to spread out the weight some.

Nice idea, my Ultra is heavy, and I wondered what I could do to mitigate the weight a bit.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

Challenger is on my list to do. Good idea on the tread plate. Do you attach it someway or does it have a nonslip surface on the bottom?
Alan and Kathleen

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
It's my understanding that the two sheets of 4x8 plywood join down the center of the ramp. I believe these ramps were meant for quads and such, not 900 pound touring bikes. If you have the patio option you have a thin sheet of metal on top of the plywood. Try moving your chock off center.

I'll have to check with Lippert on the overall construction and center seam, but if you are right, the failure makes perfect sense. The way our garage is layed out with a permanent desk on the street side and a floating desk with hanging drawers on the curb side, I have myself pretty locked into reinforcing the center as y-guy suggests below. Perhaps a sheet of something more substantial than plywood run down the center and coated with non-slip material?
Alan and Kathleen

dedmiston
Can you shop around? Are there local places that stock ramp doors?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
If az is right could you put down a 2' wide plank that's coated with non-slip to spread the weight?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It's my understanding that the two sheets of 4x8 plywood join down the center of the ramp. I believe these ramps were meant for quads and such, not 900 pound touring bikes. If you have the patio option you have a thin sheet of metal on top of the plywood. Try moving your chock off center.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Here are a couple recent thread that might help you.
Anyone do a total rebuild of a TH ramp?

New toy hauler ramp door!

Awesome. I'll take a look at these. Thanks!
Alan and Kathleen

Y-Guy
Here are a couple recent thread that might help you.
Anyone do a total rebuild of a TH ramp?

New toy hauler ramp door!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon