cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about getting a fifthwheel

MCMD
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a class B+ motorhome ( Forest river lexington) for 10 years but have only had time for 2 or3 week long trips per year and then some weekends. We have loved it but the storage is terrible and we decided we didn't really want to tow. We retire in a little over a year and my husband wants to swap to a fifthwheel for bigger storage/living space and to be able to drop/detach for longer stays. The goal is to not full time but go for a month or so at a time.
We are active but not as agile or as strong as we used to be so I find the size a bit intimidating.
Our motorhome has had it's share of usual annoyances and repairs but nothing terrible so we are only handy to a certain degree.
We like the rear living model...but wondered if any particular model/company has a better reputation or honors warranty work without huge hassle( if we go new) in your opinion. We would like to stay under 35 ft.
How important are bells and whistles like automatic leveling etc that seems to add a big $?
We will try to buy within the next 6 months so we have time to search.
Also...any thoughts..do you think we would regret giving up the ease of the motorhome,is a fifthwheel "difficult" to get used to 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
humblerb wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Set your parameters then start crossing off the models that don't meet them. Plan on doing festivals or like to get away from the crowds? Water capacity is vitally important. If it does not have at least 80 gal freshwater cross it off the list. Being ruthless about must haves results in a short list fast.

Only problem we had with this strategy is, when combining my parameters (exterior/towing) with my wife's(Fridge size, island, etc), it took about 10 minutes for the list to end up at:

1.)

LOL

ROFLMAO! I had 2 very similar rigs on my short list and, when I took DW to look at the Jayco version, her first comment was "where's the pantry?" DOH! Never twigged to that one, despite having on in our old Komfort. Was never able to get to see the KZ model I wanted, but we saw a =different= KZ that =does= have a pantry, and she said "I love this one", so we bought it. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
BTW class A MHs by far will have more storage. Fifth wheels will have more living space for a given length but less storage.

Depends . . . we own a 35'5" FW that we purchased after looking long and hard at a 38' Class A. What changed our minds was the storage. All my husband asked was, "where are you going to put the garbage can?" In that Class A, there was only room in the kitchen for a small bathroom sized waste basket, never mind where I was going to put the dog food bin! In our FW, we have a kitchen sized 10 gallon can, the dog food bin is in its own cupboard and there's so much storage that it's not all filled! Plus we have the living space.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Set your parameters then start crossing off the models that don't meet them. Plan on doing festivals or like to get away from the crowds? Water capacity is vitally important. If it does not have at least 80 gal freshwater cross it off the list. Being ruthless about must haves results in a short list fast.

Only problem we had with this strategy is, when combining my parameters (exterior/towing) with my wife's(Fridge size, island, etc), it took about 10 minutes for the list to end up at:

1.)

LOL

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add this thread to my FAQ.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 3 pop-ups, a hybrid trailer, a small 5th wheel and now a 30 ft. Class C MH. To me the MH is best. Much easier to back into a site, love the touch of a button generator, and much prefer to have our towed Ford Focus to drive around over the truck. Maybe you should consider a bigger but not too big MH? They all have pros and cons.
Jayco-noslide

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
humblerb wrote:
We just upgraded from a TT to our first Fifth Wheel.
We actually put a deposit on a MH before we bought the FW, but changed our mind.
We too had about a 35' max on it, due to the size of my storage building.
We just took it out for our first weekender and had a good experience.
I would not have made the purchase without auto-leveling. That one feature was important, as I, too, am approaching retirement. In our Grand Design Reflection, the auto-level, the waste tank handles, water connection, etc is all at waist level. No more crawling around on the ground for an old fat guy to get to everything.

If you are buying a new tow vehicle, I'll share some information with you.
We bought a Dodge RAM 2500 gasoline engine.
The Diesel engine takes up almost 1,000# more cargo capacity (around 3600# to around 2700#).
The 4.10 rear end versus the 3.?? gave us more tow capacity. approximately 2500# more.
If you want to go to a 3500/350, you will be able to tow nearly any 35' FW around.
If you stay with a 2500/250, just look at the cargo capacity difference between gas and Diesel and the tow capacity between rear ends.
I am a lot more comfortable towing our 12,000# (wet) FW with my 2500 than I was towing our 7200# (wet) TT with my F150 Ecoboost.

X2 - this is our first season with our 2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. 33 ft long, rear living opposing slides, auto leveling standard. This system is awesome. We toured a lot of units with this floor plan and the GD was vastly superior. The new models have better appliances, and two electric awnings that are not flimsy. Motion sensing LED lighting, fireplace, recliners that sit directly across from a big screen TV, huge pantry and storage up the Wazoo. We don't have a use for all the storage this thing has. My only complaint is that the LED under awning lights are too bright - so I installed a dimmer.

I paid about 42K - negotiated down from MSRP, plus some addons like forward AC.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Auto-level does add quite a bit of $$$ to the price of a 5er, but it is by far, one of the best things we have on our fifth wheel. We are also "older" - DH turned 63 this past weekend and he has had 4 back surgeries, both knees replaced and a shoulder patched up. This allows him to open a compartment, push a button and things are done as long as the thing is at least mostly level to begin with.

As far as good quality, I agree with another poster that a slightly used one will probably be a better buy since most of the beginning "quality" issues have been addressed. Friends with both a KZ model and a Jayco model have had their fifth wheels in for many more warranty work than we have with our Forest River model. I think it is just a luck of the draw as to what problems you have. I do also agree with the poster that said the dealer was more important than the manufacturer with regards to getting warranty work done in a timely manner.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
MCMD wrote:
We have had a class B+ motorhome ( Forest river lexington) for 10 years but have only had time for 2 or3 week long trips per year and then some weekends. We have loved it but the storage is terrible and we decided we didn't really want to tow. We retire in a little over a year and my husband wants to swap to a fifthwheel for bigger storage/living space and to be able to drop/detach for longer stays. The goal is to not full time but go for a month or so at a time.
We are active but not as agile or as strong as we used to be so I find the size a bit intimidating.
Our motorhome has had it's share of usual annoyances and repairs but nothing terrible so we are only handy to a certain degree.
We like the rear living model...but wondered if any particular model/company has a better reputation or honors warranty work without huge hassle( if we go new) in your opinion. We would like to stay under 35 ft.
How important are bells and whistles like automatic leveling etc that seems to add a big $?
We will try to buy within the next 6 months so we have time to search.
Also...any thoughts..do you think we would regret giving up the ease of the motorhome,is a fifthwheel "difficult" to get used to 🙂

Like what has been mentioned before. Look for a Good 30'-35'Fifth Wheel. It will be a start to see how you like towing. If you have a Friend who has a Fifth Wheel ask him what to look for and ask if he would go with you to check out the Trailers. He will know what to look for. Buy the Trailer before you get The Truck. That way you will know the Trailer Weight and get the truck to match. Also Take your time no rushing. Get what you need and looking for in a Trailer. Best of luck in your search.
Best of luck in your search
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved up from a small travel trailer to a 30' 5th wheel -- a Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS. It's a rear living model with a center kitchen island. We have much the same goal as you -- not to be full time, but to eventually go on longer trips than we can do now.

We have been very happy with this trailer so far. There is more storage than we can fill at this time. Maybe we'll get to a time when we'll fill more of it as we take longer trips.

We opted for NO auto-leveling and are finding it's really pretty easy to level without it. It would have added about $2,000 to the price of the trailer -- no thanks.

Has not been difficult to get used to at all -- although I think we have sacrificed some of the "camping" feel to our traveling. 🙂

Yes, definitely do your research on what kind of truck you will need for the trailer you pick, but don't necessarily assume that you must have a dually in order to pull a 5th wheel.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for auto leveling. I would also highly recommend disc brakes.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Read this and other forums long enough and you will eventually see someone complain about problems with every manufacturer and every brand, including the “high end” models.

There are heavy 5ers, there are so called light weight 5ers (that are still pretty heavy), and there are very heavy 5ers. So look at weights, particularly pin weights, before choosing a truck, or choosing a 5er for your current truck if you have one. Pin weights of a 35’ 5er can vary by a thousand pounds or more depending on the manufacturer, model, and floorplan. And buying a 5er does not necesarily mean you must have a dually. All depends on weights.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
We just upgraded from a TT to our first Fifth Wheel.
We actually put a deposit on a MH before we bought the FW, but changed our mind.
We too had about a 35' max on it, due to the size of my storage building.
We just took it out for our first weekender and had a good experience.
I would not have made the purchase without auto-leveling. That one feature was important, as I, too, am approaching retirement. In our Grand Design Reflection, the auto-level, the waste tank handles, water connection, etc is all at waist level. No more crawling around on the ground for an old fat guy to get to everything.

If you are buying a new tow vehicle, I'll share some information with you.
We bought a Dodge RAM 2500 gasoline engine.
The Diesel engine takes up almost 1,000# more cargo capacity (around 3600# to around 2700#).
The 4.10 rear end versus the 3.?? gave us more tow capacity. approximately 2500# more.
If you want to go to a 3500/350, you will be able to tow nearly any 35' FW around.
If you stay with a 2500/250, just look at the cargo capacity difference between gas and Diesel and the tow capacity between rear ends.
I am a lot more comfortable towing our 12,000# (wet) FW with my 2500 than I was towing our 7200# (wet) TT with my F150 Ecoboost.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
5er vs MH 2013
5er vs MH 2017
5er vs MH Oct 2017

MH change to 5th 5er 2015
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman